Can Anyone Recommend A Good Mobile Marine Engineer?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic. If not please feel free to move it.

I need someone to undertake some repair work on our boat's propshaft. The engineer I'd asked to look at it, who I've used before, has just told me he's unable to help due to pressure of work so I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

The problem with the shaft is it seems to have moved forward so the prop is sitting hard against the P bracket. The boat's currently lifted out at Greenway Marine, Loddon.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sorry I can't recommend an engineer but this sounds a bit strange.  I can only think that the "Silentbloc" engine mountings have deteriorated, which has allowed the whole engine to move forward.  Might be worth checking this before anything else.

• Like 2

An issue like that should be fairly easy to spot with a snoop down the engine bay, the prop can't slip up a taper so it has to be a gearbox coupling or engine mounts as Vaughan says, depending on your setup it's possible the shaft coupling is loose and the shaft has pushed through which should be a fairly easy fix if it's just a clamp up type.

• Like 1

depends on your engine mounts but if the donut type are on the front and have given way and the rear is a mid gearbox mount then it could all just have moved forward a bit.. sometimes there isn't much clearance to start with..

a few photos would help.. 

• Like 4

Thanks for your replies everyone and sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I omitted to enable Follow Topic so haven't had any notifications.

I think a bit of background is indicated: Over winter 2018/2019 the shaft and prop were replaced. The shaft had worn in two places, one at the stern gland and the other where it had been running in contact with the stern tube. This misalignment was found to be caused by a broken engine mount so these were all replaced. At the same time I had the stern gland replaced with a dripless type manufactured by PSS. Ideally the coupling should have been replaced but the original design (see photo) is no longer available and no suitable alternative could be found.

I'd originally put the boat in for investigation of a heavy vibration felt in the aft cabin. Although the new shaft and engine mounts improved things a bit there was still a lot of vibration. The boatyard thought this might be shaft whip owing to the lack of support from the new gland compared with the old rope compression type so they fitted an additional cutlass bearing in the stern tube behind the gland. This obviously meant the shaft had to come out again.

Fast-forward to August 2022 and after a run I noticed the bilge pump was activating every few minutes. I found that the stern gland was leaking badly. I managed to make an emergency adjustment to stop the leak but had to get an engineer in the do a proper repair. I thought the leak was caused by the shaft moving but he thought it was just the gland collar slipping on the shaft so, having adjusted it he dimpled the shaft for the grub screws to stop it happening again.

It was when the boat was lifted last October that someone noticed the prop hard against the P bracket, as can be seen in the second photo, so it now looks as if it was shaft movement after all. The most likely explanation seems to be that it just hadn't been clamped up tightly enough the last time it was refitted.

Coupling4.jpg

Propshaft.jpg

• Like 1

I agree, the polished area clearly shows the amount of movement. The work was done by Jones' at St. Ives and I'm pretty sure they investigated possible alternatives. I haven't spoken to anyone in the Broads area.

A R Peachments are the first people I'd speak to when it comes to replacement drivetrain parts.

I was going to suggest speaking to NYA Service Centre - not because I'd especially recommend them, more because they're right next door to Peachments, so it's easy to remove a part and take in for ID - but if the boat's out of the water at Loddon, you obviously don't want to have to incur another lift in and out.

Can Greenway Marine help?

• Like 1

No, unfortunately. Jonathan is a boatbuilder not an engineer. If it came to it I would have to get it put back in and drive it to Peachments or someone else if there is anyone. However the same engineer who's let me down over the shaft has also done so over investigating a leak from the domestic gas system which is currently preventing me from getting a new BSS certificate and therefore from renewing my toll.

• Sad 1

Urgh, sounds like you're having a bad time of things!

Only mobile person I know in Norfolk is Daniel Austrin (07881 631694). I can't vouch for his work, but he used to work for Peachments and has done an engine swap on the Southern Comfort, so would appear to be up to the task. I think @CambridgeCabby used him the other day, so may be able to give an opinion.

• Like 2

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm actually now in contact with someone suggested by Jonathan Greenway although I don't have any testimonials for his work. Now I've started the conversation I feel I ought to let him have first dibs but I'll definitely keep Daniel in mind in case this chap proves unreliable.

• Like 2