Broom Owners Club Sailing Pageant

A reminder that Broom Owners club are doing a sail pageant on Saturday. Leaving Brooms at Brundall at 11am and sailing up to The Ferry House before returning. 40 boats if various era's and designs.

Boats are assembling from around 10:00, leaving from the Tingdene Marina, with the pageant actually starting at 11:00 and sailing up to Surlingham Ferry House.ย  They will stop and turn around, returning to Tingdene from around 12:30 onwardsย ย 

The convoy will be divided up into 6 "squadrons" making up the 40 odd boats in total, and should be quite a sight to watch !

• Like 1

I will be attending the pageant tomorrow - unfortunately not with my own Broom 29 (A Frayed Knot), as she is straying on the Great Ouse for now, but I am being hosted on another Broom owners boat for the morning

2 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

I will be attending the pageant tomorrow - unfortunately not with my own Broom 29 (A Frayed Knot), as she is straying on the Great Ouse for now, but I am being hosted on another Broom owners boat for the morning

Glad to see you're getting at least a bit of time on the water over the weekend. Couldn't believe it when I saw the messages this morning.

ย 

17 minutes ago, dom said:

Glad to see you're getting at least a bit of time on the water over the weekend.ย 

I'm only planning to be in Brundall for the day, then heading back to St.Ives in the evening for the rest of the weekend.

ย 

17 minutes ago, dom said:

Couldn't believe it when I saw the messages this morning.

Have I missed something ?

8 minutes ago, dom said:

SSAs in both directions from St.Ives.

Oh great ... funny though, I have nothing from the EA alert today ?

But I did see the river is up to 0.5m on the Jones gauge in front of the quay, so maybe it will drop a bit overnight and tomorrow.

I'm meant to be hosting some of my kids aboard on Sunday for the first time ...

34 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Oh great ... funny though, I have nothing from the EA alert today ?

I got notice around 9.45am this morning.

River Advice for Boaters, STRONG STREAM ADVICE has been Issued: Boating Advice for Great Ouse St Ives to Earith. To hear more information call Floodline 0345 9881188,8 Quickdial 033212.
River Advice for Boaters, STRONG STREAM ADVICE has been Issued: Boating Advice for Great Ouse Bedford to St Ives. To hear more information call Floodline 0345 9881188,8 Quickdial 033211.

The locks were all closed yesterday, so probably not a great prospect of being able to go far before Tuesday unfortunately. I wouldn't imagine EA will have staff out over the weekend, and there's also a lot of rain forecast over the next couple of weeks.

There's some real discontent locally. I think the minute Brownshill re-opens (hopefully in June, but possibly beyond) there'll be a bit of a mass migration over to the Old West side.

ย 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, dom said:

I got notice around 9.45am this morning.

Jones have just sent out an email advising of the SSA and river levels

Looks like my Cruise on the Ouse is scuppered for this weekendย :default_icon_cry:

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Boats are assembling from around 10:00, leaving from the Tingdene Marina, with the pageant actually starting at 11:00 and sailing up to Surlingham Ferry House.ย  They will stop and turn around, returning to Tingdene from around 12:30 onwardsย ย 

The convoy will be divided up into 6 "squadrons" making up the 40 odd boats in total, and should be quite a sight to watch !

Just driven past the White Heron and there are a number of boats moored there all decked out in buntings.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Just driven past the White Heron and there are a number of boats moored there all decked out in buntings.

Yes, the weekend events have already started and are planned through to Sunday eveningย 

Looking at the weather this morning I hope itโ€™s not a rerun of the soggy royal pageant a few years back.ย 

Have a great day Biker ย ๐Ÿคžโ˜”๏ธ

The start has been delayed, but it does seem to be going ahead.ย 

Skippers meeting has been held, so I'm waiting for confirmation of the start timeย 

Having got up at 05:30 today, arriving in Brundall at 08:45, I will be very disappointed if it is cancelled completelyย 

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

Looking at the weather this morning I hope itโ€™s not a rerun of the soggy royal pageant a few years back.

I think there's also a meet for "bathtub owners" planned on Ranworth Island as well as the first round of the British Powerboat Championship at Oulton, so hopefully it brightens up for everyone.

The weather is not playing ball so to speak. Hoveton Hall Gardens have announced they will be closed tomorrow because the ground is so saturated. That also means cancellation of an event they were going to run. And closure of the Kitchen Garden Cafe.ย 

Hope the Broom event can get going later.ย 

So we have just arrived back at Brooms in Brundall

That was definitely a fun cruise, 41ย boats and a few extra that seemed to just tag along.ย 

We started off 2 hours later than planned, assembling on the river a bit past Tingdene, then turned around to head all the way to Surlingham, then turned around again last there to head back.ย 

It did drizzle all the way, but as there was nothing I could do about that I just enjoyed the ride.ย 

As you can see from the pictures, I spotted @ExSurveyor, who also spotted me, and we waved as I sailed by

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the pictures shame the weather was not that good.ย 
ย 

I was hoping a few broom woodies may have been included as that what brooms started with nice to see a continental in it I think they look like proper little ship.

thanksย 

ย 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Roy said:

nice to see a continental in it I think they look like proper little ship.

I don't know why, but for me the Ocean and Continental 37s will always be the definitive Broom models. I guess probably just because that era was really the peak of Broom's success.

I always considered the 1970s Continental 37 to be one of their best Boats.

I knew someone who had one at Cobbs Quay, back then, when I moored there. They took it to Lough Derg when they returned home from secondment in London.