The 2 W's Afloat 1st June 2024

Last night (Thursday) was a peaceful one. We had a meal in the Kings Head in Wroxham/Hoveton and then returned to the boat to watch Springwatch. Up at 6.30 this morning and we departed NBD marina at 7.15. The journey was absolutely blissful! Hardly any traffic until after Ranworth! We did a quick detour around Wroxham Broad and on exiting the Broad we spotted what I can only describe as the Broads version of Nessie!! As always it was too far in front of us swimming left to right before I could grab my phone to take a pic! By the time we were level with where it had gone there was no sign of it! Big, brown and mysterious :default_biggrin: If it was an otter it was huge!!! Once past Ferry Marina we picked up one and then two hitchhikers. I did ask them where they wanted to get off but all I got for an answer was a mooted quack. We entered Ranworth and our two hitchhikers decided to leave us and so we cruised around to the left and lowered the mudweight. I rustled up egg and bacon for us both while we gently swung around on the mudweight. We then left Ranworth heading for Thurne Dyke which we always try and get into for our last night aboard. I was pleasantly surprised to find only two boats moored when we got there so mooring up on the port side facing the entrance was hassle free. 3 more boats have since arrived! So far it’s been a pleasant day!

Chris and Brenda

IMG_1610.jpeg

IMG_1613.jpeg

IMG_1612.jpeg

IMG_1611.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Wow! Feels like your week has flown by. Enjoy the rest of the day. :default_icon_wave:

It does seem like only yesterday that we were here in Thurne Dyke but we’ve covered a lot of water since starting out last Saturday! HW to Thurne Dyke, Thurne Dyke to Loddon, Loddon to Norwich, Norwich to Oulton Broad, Oulton Broad to Acle, Acle to Wroxham, Wroxham to Thurne Dyke and tomorrow morning back to HW! It’s been a great week both weather wise and seeing other members of the forum (albeit from a distance!). We’re back at HW on 28 Sep for a week aboard Platinum Light 2, accompanied by Brenda’s brother, sister in law and their adult son, can’t wait!

Chris and Brenda

• Like 13

6.15 pm and Thurne Dyke is pretty full now! It amazes me the number of hire boats that switch off their engine before becoming securely moored up!! :default_icon_e_surprised:

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for your tale Chris. It’s always good to hear other people’s different experiences and perspectives. Look forward to your next one in Sept/Oct. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woke up at 5 this morning (habits die hard!). The Dyke is like a mill pond and the sun is shining. We had our last meal on the Broads in the Lion last night. We had the chicken strips between us for starters (memories were still there of the huge portion we had last Saturday!) and we didn’t want to be so overwhelmed this time. Brenda decided to have scampi and skin on fries for the main course and I opted for the steak and ale pie with chips, cabbage and carrots. True to form, out came the mega portions again! The pie was excellent and well, scampi is scampi! Just like our meal last Saturday, we couldn’t eat it all again and some of our chips and fries  were left on the plates! We cannot fault the quality of the food at all and look forward to returning here at the end of September. 

Chris and Brenda 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Thank you Chris for a lovely holiday tale as usual. i seem to feel hungry whenever I read your blogs for some reason. I was salivating at that breakfast :default_biggrin:

Safe journey home

Grace x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We left Thurne Dyke at 7.20 this morning and had a nice slow cruise back to HW. Once moored up we transferred all our stuff back into the car (we seemed to have over estimated our food requirements for once so it looks like tea tonight is sorted :default_biggrin:). I had a quick chat with one of the HW employees in the yard and gained some useful tips regarding Platinum Light 2 for when we are aboard her beginning of October. He also told me about the HW hire boat that got stranded on Breydon on the Wednesday. HW managed to drag her off the mud before high tide but I don't know if the occupants continued with their holiday or not, he did say that it was an all lads crew onboard and they intentionally went the wrong side of the green marker post!!

Anyway, we then went into the office and booked Supreme Light 2 again for our 40th wedding anniversary (1st June) next year starting Saturday 31st May! The main advantage that we find is that by having repeat bookings with HW, not only do we get very good discounts (loyalty, early booking, Blue Light etc) but we also know the boat and how it behaves etc. The discounts also outweigh the fuel deposit too :default_biggrin:. Then it was across the road to the Flour and Bean for our obligatory breakfast before setting off for home. I had the full English breakfast and Brenda had the traditional breakfast accompanied by a large Latte and Cappuccino. After having satisfied our stomachs we had a saunter over to Watersedge and had a gander at their boats that were for sale (oh dear - I feel an investment in a bottomless pit could be on the cards!). Luckily there was nothing that wetted our appetite so my/our bank balances are safe for the time being! We had a quick look around Latham's (as you do) and I forgot to look for those banana wotsits that were mentioned in another thread the other day - doh!! We set off from HW at about 9.20 and we arrived home at 1210 which is about the normal time it takes us.  Unloaded the car, assigned all the various bits to their respective areas, dirty washing in the fridge, food in the wash basket (I'm joking of course!) - you know the drill ha ha! Then it was dog boot cover and guard into the car and off to pick Luna up from the kennels.  At least she smells good after having had a bath there (saves us the hassle!).  Now all back home and getting back into routine!  I might post a breakdown of our week's costs eventually once I've worked it all out! It's been a cracking week afloat and so looking forward to our return in October.

Chris and Brenda

• Like 6
  • Love 3

21 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

I forgot to look for those banana wotsits that were mentioned in another thread the other day - doh!!

My intention was to sell them on ebay as they seem to have become a rare item, but no, devoured yesterday and really yummy. Need to buy them when they are next in stock before Kate nabs them all again! 

it was lovely to read your write up Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your weeks write up. 

I was looking online last night at the boats for sale at Potter Heigham and was tempted to look at a couple but after a sleep I still want a Hampton Safari that’s a boats I’ve always wanted from the age of 7 lol. 
so I will keep looking 👀 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Roy said:

Thank you for your weeks write up. 

I was looking online last night at the boats for sale at Potter Heigham and was tempted to look at a couple but after a sleep I still want a Hampton Safari that’s a boats I’ve always wanted from the age of 7 lol. 
so I will keep looking 👀 

There’s a couple being advertised on the Hampton Safari Club site

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lulu said:

There’s a couple being advertised on the Hampton Safari Club site

Go on Roy. Don’t let any more slip through your fingers. It’d be great to see you out and about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lulu said:

My intention was to sell them on ebay as they seem to have become a rare item, but no, devoured yesterday and really yummy. Need to buy them when they are next in stock before Kate nabs them all again! 

I was in PH today on foot, but had forgotten to bring any money for a restock. I need the car or boat for that anyway 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, kpnut said:

I was in PH today on foot, but had forgotten to bring any money for a restock. I need the car or boat for that anyway 😂

Possibly a small lorry by the sound of things:default_norty:

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Very enjoyable tale, thanks for sharing. Why don't you bring your doggie with you?

Morning Simon. Luna is a GSD and she is too big to be in the car along with all the stuff we bring to the boat. She loves being at the kennels that we use and they really do look after the dogs in their care. It is an expensive added cost to our holiday but we factor that in.

At the kennels

ChrisKennels.thumb.jpg.f1f7c61fa5b6051327bcba0833ce4ef9.jpg

Relaxing at home

oncouch.thumb.JPEG.8d7bc58a51960f94aee3318ea43215c1.JPEG

Anything left for me?

atkitchentable.thumb.JPEG.e280d8c3204cc2506628f6c9f41638c6.JPEG

• Like 3
  • Love 3

13 hours ago, kpnut said:

Go on Roy. Don’t let any more slip through your fingers. It’d be great to see you out and about. 

Thanks I’m holding off for this year as works not letting me have many free weekends due to the weather 😩and it gives me more time to save up !!!! 

• Like 2