Off To Norfolk

Summer will start tomorrow, the sun will come out, it will only rain overnight and traffic congestion won't start until Friday.

Packed ready for 6 1/2 weeks onboard. Peace and quiet, apart from 5 days starting 5th August when all four grandchildren arrive.

If you are passing Brundall give me a toot.

• Like 16

25 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

Summer will start tomorrow, the sun will come out, it will only rain overnight

Yes please!

What a lovely long stretch of time. Enjoy the wind-down to a more simple way of living, in the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

Definitely, I have a bosun's whistle onboard ready.

I am beginning to warm towards you already. Good news I live but a stones throw from your mooring. Do not worry about your choice of gin it is the quality of the tonic that counts. Fevertree is my preference.

Looking forward.

Tootle pip.

You may call me Wusser.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ExSurveyor said:

Summer will start tomorrow, the sun will come out, it will only rain overnight and traffic congestion won't start until Friday.

:default_rofl:

1 hour ago, ExSurveyor said:

Packed ready for 6 1/2 weeks onboard

Hope you have a great time. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Wishing you and Matron a great time on board. Forget the gin, just pipe me aboard for the Prosecco :default_biggrin:

Grace x

But where does he connect the pipe you mention? :default_drinks:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As we seem to have a rare sunshine event until Saturday I need to finish off  painting the rear well of White Knight. I need fit a couple of fairleads to the rear corners to match the ones on the front deck. The ropes had damaged the paintwork previously, hopefully these will stop that happening again.

I need to apply a couple more boat names, one to the front above the windscreen and one on the stern. Having fitted a cover for the sliding canopy as an after thought, the previous names are now hidden. You just can't get the staff these days 😁.

Final job is to fit the curtains ready for use as the grandchildren accommodation barge.

All that means I will be cleaning Whitey in the rain on Saturday.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have made progress, The painting is finished but took longer as it was too hot to do until after 4pm.

The boat has that foam type cover on the engine hatch and steps. I wouldn't recommend it, it stains and is a pig to clean. I had a spare piece so thought I would see how well it painted. Turns out with several very thin coats using a roller it covers well and keeps the black lines but still has some flexibility. ( First photo )   The rest of them have been added to my list.

New wiper blades eventually fitted after a battle. Typically the fittings didn't fit properly so I had to improvise and fettle.

We managed a couple of runs out in the sunshine to check everything was working. I found the wipers, horn and domestic water pump weren't working. Of course the fuse board isn't marked up to show individual circuits so I replaced all 10 fuses. No luck, they still didn't work. I had a look under the dash and finally found an in line blade fuse in a rubber covering. It turns out the blade fuse wasn't fully in and had finally lost contact. This was soon fixed and all working again.

Having done the engine checks I noticed the expansion bottle was empty so I removed the radiator cap to check the level, all fine. Replaced the cap and added some water to the expansion tank and watched it run out of the radiator cap.. Even I know that isn't supposed to happen.

I managed to grab an engineer from the yard to have a look. He was surprised that it had a vented expansion tank with a pressure cap and two further pressurised caps. His verdict was, ummm.

It is booked in for a sort out, shouldn't be expensive for them to sort it out, I could do it but I don't do engine things if I can avoid it.

Despite this odd setup the engine is running well and at 85°.

I need to seal three windows and fit the curtains but my original prediction of fine weather is giving me lots of reasons to do other things instead.

IMG_20240720_143928.jpg

IMG_20240721_162030.jpg

IMG_20240721_162045_1.jpg

IMG_20240721_162015.jpg

• Like 13

For the cooling system just fit full blanking caps to all lower level caps and pressure cap to highest (should be expansion tank) and get it fully hot, it will chuck a bit out if full and then settle. 

Saves paying a labour charge. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

where is the Knight in shining Armour?

Named after my 13 year old chess mad grandson, Knight. He is currently in Turkey doing his first PADI diving course but will be onboard with the other three early August.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

Named after my 13 year old chess mad grandson, Knight. He is currently in Turkey doing his first PADI diving course but will be onboard with the other three early August.

And a gorgeous boy he is too, I think he gets his looks from Matron's side of the family :default_biggrin: (Just kidding of course)

White Knight looks amazing Mark, well done

Grace x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Smoggy said:

For the cooling system just fit full blanking caps to all lower level caps and pressure cap to highest (should be expansion tank) and get it fully hot, it will chuck a bit out if full and then settle. 

Saves paying a labour charge. 

The engineer is suggesting a blanking cap on one and changing the expansion tank hose to the lower cap above the water pump. The ET has a drain hose leading down to the bilge. 

What is to stop water coming out of the vacated  brass hose connector.

Both pressure caps show a 0.8 rating.

The top cap is not sitting properly unless it is jiggled around as it is fouling in the jubilee clip hence the suggestion to move the ET hose to the lower hose connector.

IMG_20240724_155555.jpg

• Like 1

At a quick glance I'd say the expansion tank already has a pressure cap so a blank cap on the heat exchanger and thermostat housing (above water pump) would do it, nothing should come out of the spigot with a full blank cap fitted(but a little rubber plug would be a good tell tale of leakage).

The overflow from expansion tank is best run into a plastic bottle (open to atmosphere) in the bilge so you can see what comes out.

Is that another open outlet I can see on expansion tank? I'd pipe that to a catch tank (old milk bottle) as well at least temporarily to see what is going on.

I must point out I've been in the Nelson at reedham all night and halfway through a very generous rum as a technical disclaimer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now a closer look suggests to me I'm more drunk than I thought and should have looked closer, but the pipe to expansion tank is from a neck spigot on the header tank so whatever type of cap is fitted the expansion tank is nothing more than a catch tank and may as well be fully vented, in which case a blank cap on thermostat housing and pressure cap on header tank, just be aware that top ups need to be via header tank.

Previous disclaimer still applies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Headed home on Friday ready to collect all four grandchildren on Monday morning.

We had been in doors for 2 hours before two of them turned up, they had missed us 😁

I can't believe how wild the garden had become in two and a half weeks.

The car has been reconfigured to carry 6 and minimal luggage. They are limited to one bag each, anything else goes in their lap.

The weather is looking good for next week so fingers crossed. 3 SUPs and a large canoe are booked for Wednesday at Coltishall.

I hate canoes but I couldn't avoid it.

Strumpshaw Fen and a boat trip up to Norwich are also planned.

• Like 3