Winter Hire - A good idea?

DelticMemories

We are out regularly in the winter (dec and feb) and can thoroughly recommend it. The rivers are much quieter. The heating should be fine, go for a boat with warm air heating. Just be careful of ice as places such as ranworth can freeze, main rivers are fine though. Go for it and enjoy!

It is a great time to be out, but be under no illusion; boats are not as warm as houses.

Bring appropriate clothing.

Now, turn your thoughts to waking up to fresh snowfall, a stunning rising sun and the only footprints being of wildlife.

Personally I would look for a boat with shore power as you'll be using LOTS of battery power and probably won't be going great distances to charge the batteries sufficiently.

Good recommendations from both there!

On my only winter trip I did a full day's cruising and still had battery trouble that night...

The warm air heating may be diesel fuelled but the blowers take a lot of power.

Arctic sleeping bags may be worth thinking about, as they stay around you better than duvets.

It is a great time to be out, but be under no illusion; boats are not as warm as houses. Bring appropraite clothing.

Perhaps it's not all boats (that aren't as warm as houses) Andy.

Our Alpha 34 FD with a Webasto AirTop 5000 ST coupled with a Dyson Hot (where needed to quickly boost the temp) gives us just about any temp we want.

In act we often say that we are warmer onboard than at home! And that's when it's like this weather... :):):)

Hello DelticMemories,

Plenty of advice from the other forum members.

If the boat you hire has a shore power hook up then make sure you purchase some Broads Authority electric post cards, I know that Barnes Brinkcraft sell them in their reception and a few other outlets but you can also get them direct from the Broads Authority by post.

I would also take penty of warm clothing, you can allways remove some if you get to hot, take several pairs of gloves in case any get wet.

It is a good idea to make sure the boat has its own hose pipe some public mooring do remove the hoses during winter. A lot of the public toilets at moorings also close during the winter.

Take plenty of wholsome food with you just in case the pub you have planed to moor up at is not doin food that night (it can happen).

Plenty of soups and jacket potatoes etc. Ovens on boats are ok but the grills leave a lot to be desired.

Use the life jackets provided, if you slip on ice or fost it may be the only thing to save you.

Out of season boating is great you can moor almost anywhere and have the river to yourself, even if it is cold we have the canopy down unless it is raining.

Regards

Alan

Perhaps I should explain my point.

Many houses are double glazed, well insulated and heated using radiators (or storage heaters) which retain heat. Most houses have a nine inch wall.

Most boats are't well insulated, are well ventilated (out of absolute necessity) and heated using warm air units.

You could also take along a small fan heater which can be used to boost the temperature on cold evenings when shore power is available. We don't use our boat over winter as it's lifted out but we keep one on board for when we're overnighting in our marina and we get chilly nights in spring or autumn.

Many thanks again. My friend has now opted out of this due to family responsibilities (readers may be amused by my attempts to get a holiday on the broads but being constantly thwarted by people "opting out").

However I have decided that I want to proceed on my own as my other hobby is photography and the winter landscape is very enticing. I was looking at some suitable options on the Herbert Woods site but note that they do not accept bookings by single people. Is this something they are firm about or in practice are they flexible? If I was to take an aged relative with me I would fit their criteria but I would have to handle the boat without assistance so I don't really see that the requirement makes any sense?

I have seen a suitable boat from another yard which fills all criteria suggested and there does not seem to be any restrictions on single hire so I am getting excited now that I am finally going to make it to the broads.

If I was to take an aged relative with me I would fit their criteria but I would have to handle the boat without assistance so I don't really see that the requirement makes any sense?

The only problem here would be if you were to slip getting ashore on an icy deck surface or the frozen bank...

With anyone else onboard at least they could dial 999 if they heard either you cry out or a loud splash.

That's not to say you shouldn't go solo if you carefully plan your steps. I don't think it's down to the dreaded H&S but just your own choice.

Many thanks for the additional information. I will certainly take the advice of those here as you all know far more about the subject than me, and it sounds like the risks are worth avoiding. Struggling to persuade any friends to come (most are keen but not during winter) so once again will have to abandon plans until later in the year. :cry:

Could you hire a holiday cottage instead? Faircraft Loynes have some apartments overlooking the river at Wroxham which they hire in winter and Fineway do (or certainly did) hire dayboats in winter. Might be another option......

http://www.norfolkbroadsdirect.co.uk/sh ... iday-homes

http://www.finewayleisure.co.uk/html/day_boat_hire.html

Could you hire a holiday cottage instead? Faircraft Loynes have some apartments overlooking the river at Wroxham which they hire in winter and Fineway do (or certainly did) hire dayboats in winter. Might be another option......

That's a good idea, Howard. :clap:clap:clap

I reckon you might get a day boat for several days at a very reasonable price. :grin::grin::grin: