Norfolk Broads in October

Gem

Hi Gem and welcome. Lovely time of the year on the Broads. Much quieter and relaxed than summer. Although I have had ice on the deck in October this was a one off, the boats heating being adequate and that was in the days of catalyst heaters. I think everywhere is still open till the end of school mid term. Only possible downside is that some boats will be looking a little scruffy on the outside but otherwise go for it.

Fred

I have had several holidays on the Broads in October, the latest being in 2010 and I agree that it is a lovely time of year.  Indeed, the weather at the beginning of the month can be better than it is in the summer, at least as far as sunshine is concerned.  The only real downside is that you have much less cruising time available (owing to the later sunrise and earlier sunset), but that is more than made up for by there being many fewer boats around.  Yes, the evenings can be cold, but so were they when we were there in May!

Hello Gem,

Sorry you did not give your name, but welcome to the forum.

The latest we have been on the Broads is the first week in December and have had great weather, the canopy down all day and having to use suncream.

It can by cold at night but the heaters help and just take warm clothing and a couple of hot water bottles as part of your boat kit.

Make sure that the boatyard provides a hose pipe, some of the hoses can be removed off of the taps in late September and some of the public toilets can also be closed.

I would also include some food to provide hot staple meals incase you find some of the pubs are closed, most if not all will be open however.

Have a good holiday.

Regards

Alan

Brilliant. Thanks! You could go in July or August and have rubbish weather so you just never know I suppose :-) I went on the broads years ago and loved it so I'm really looking forward to going again

Most of my childhood holidays were taken during the October half term. We've had weather from scorching sunshine to torrential rain and some very frosty nights. As others have said, it tends to be much quieter, but the pubs should all be open! Have a great time!

Welcome aboard from us, Gem.

I completely agree with the comments above, indeed we've been aboard during the week up to Christmas!

Will you bring children? That might be a problem as a lot of attractions will be closed.

We haven't decided on a date for the NBN Autumn Meet yet but it's usually the first weekend in October and you could get to meet some of us. Previous years have been at Coldham Hall, across the River Yare from Brundall.

Hi GEM have no worries about being out in october,we have two weeks every year one in june(just got back)and one in october. the weather in october has been the better of the two for some time now. Plus everywhere is still open without the crowds but the main thing is just chill and enjoy.

In my mind there's only two best times to visit the broads Early in the year or October Why... Early in the year you feel lime the first explorers, everything is fresh and new, October ... Everyone has gone home , just a few hire craft on the river ,, you are the late stop outs ,,

Gem. Hired Omega twice going back a bit and she looks as if she has had a full refurbishment since we had her. Great boat for late season being fully enclosed i.e. no draughts but has full patio style doors to rear making it very bright. Very comfortable saloon with plenty of storage.  If it is nice there is a seating area outside for your G&Ts. Omega is the only hire boat I have had that has working navigation lights although of corse you're not allowed use them as intended!

Fred

Hi GEM have no worries about being out in october,we have two weeks every year one in june(just got back)and one in october. the weather in october has been the better of the two for some time now. Plus everywhere is still open without the crowds but the main thing is just chill and enjoy.

Hi UB2 and welcome aboard with your first post (although you've been a member for some time!).wink.gif