City boats

andyg

Hi

City Boats have operated tour boats for many years but have recently extended into the hire boat market too.

http://www.cityboats.co.uk/broads-holiday-cruisers.html

They look to have taken over three of the boats previously operated by DRL which were on a lease from presumably the original owners, Sabena. I don’t know if City Boats have bought them or are leasing them as DRL did.

We hired Caprice several times from DRL (then known as Fine Time). The boat had its quirks and certainly needed some updating but was comfortable and met our needs for the price. I think it unlikely that City Boats will have done any major works to them but given that the prices quoted look very reasonable they may well represent good value for the money.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on!!

It's good to see Thorpe very much on the hiring map once again (along with Freedom). I notice the old Sabena names have been brought back. I guess they only had to sand off that thin layer of paint over the names that DRL lumped on!

However I do find it frustrating when prices aren't published on a website, whatever the business is. I know I'm an impatient so and so but in this internet age why should I have to spend time phoning for a price?

It's good to see Thorpe very much on the hiring map once again (along with Freedom). I notice the old Sabena names have been brought back. I guess they only had to sand off that thin layer of paint over the names that DRL lumped on!

However I do find it frustrating when prices aren't published on a website, whatever the business is. I know I'm an impatient so and so but in this internet age why should I have to spend time phoning for a price?

Simon, Hi

Their brochure does give prices but only for day-hire. Perhaps it will be updated soon?

http://www.cityboats.co.uk/pdfs/2013-brochure.pdf

• Like 1

Bell Air was moored in front of us at Hardley Mill with a couple on board.   Boat did look a bit sad but a good clean on the outside (didnt see inside) would have made it look good.  

I noticed that their web site states no cheques or cards which I assume is for their tour bus or day boats and if it is for a hire craft I suggest you put used notes in a suit case. :rolleyes:

Not to mention the thick red line painted on with a tar brush!

Seen a few ex DRL around the last week. Looking much more presentable than they have the last few years. Not that it would have taken much! Livery has seen the old Sabina red replaced by a subdued dark grey.

Fred

I saw Bel Air in May and I thought it looked a bit sorry for itself.

The former DRL/Anglia stickers on the rear vent behind the rear windows had been rather poorly scrubbed/painted and I found myself thinking it really would have been better and not taken much longer to have just painted the whole vent cover.

I had a look at prices on Waterways Holidays for them and they seemed OK, perhaps less so through the unusual scenario of bed linen not being provided as standard, but it is nice to have some hire yards in Thorpe so it would be interesting to hear how people find them, and it is good to see a slightly enlarged choice from them

Dan