Hello and Thank you for adding me

V8vogue

Hi Folks,

My Name is Colin, I live in Lancashire and Thank you for allowing me into your forum.

Last year my wife and I had a week in Stoke Ash near Eye and on one of the days we hired a day boat from Bridgecraft at acle.

After a day of pottering around and being passed by all of the people in their big cruisers (everything looks big when you are in a day boat  :shocked ) with their pirate flags :pirate  and general finger pointing, I decided to come back...

In May I will be 50 and being of the rag and stick fraternity :Sailing  have broken with tradition and booked a cruiser for a week with Herbert Woods.

She's called Gliding Light 3 and as there will only be 2 of us and a dog, 3 if you like, I intend to have a look around your forum and see if I can glean some more information about where to go and what to do.

I shall post soon.

cheers

Colin

• Like 3

Hi all,

Many Thanks for the warm welcome and JTF you are correct.

I have found a lot of very useful information, especially about where to moor overnight. To be honest that is my main concern for the first night as Hertbert Wood's check-in time is from 16:00. 

They have a message on their blog about an overnight mooring just off Womack Dyke, but I was thinking of doing it at Thurne. Any thoughts or recommendations please?

Kind regards

Colin

post-29282-0-47633600-1393844826_thumb.j

Hi Colin,

I'd try and rattle Herberts door at 2pm.. You may find the boats ready. If not you can take a wonder around lathams (or the boat sales...!).  Womack is a nice spot, the island there moorings are a good quiet spot.  Thurne is ok too although we've only stopped there a couple of times, although last time we stopped there we saw a huge barn owl flying out of the mill (which I'm sure is the first and only time I've seen one in the wild.  

Have a lovely trip.

• Like 1

Hi Colin,

I would try mooring at Womak Staithe, it is one of my favourit spots and Ludham just a short walk up the lane is a bonus. Good pub and shops etc.

I agree you want to get to Herbert Woods after or around lunch time, all the hire companies be it on the Broads or on the canals have late take over times and in many cases the boats are ready or could be.

Regards
Alan

• Like 1