Last minute easter looking at Alpha Blenheim

We have decided to try and book a last minute trip down on the 19th april for a week. been working 7 day weeks for I don't know how long and I'm exhausted. Not many boats to choose from with 1 child and 2 big dogs in tow so we need to make a quick choice. I have spotted Alpha Blenhiem which looks ok, has anyone hired her or have any insider knowledge about her please? Also is it right that all richardsons boats now have wi fi? Wi fi would be great as we have a 12 year old in tow who simply refuses to dog walk with us so will need his ipad to keep him out of trouble.

we have already booked silver spirit for august so this is an unexpected trip! Yipee, hope we can find a nice boat at such short notice.

Thankyou

We haven't hired the Blenhiem but did get to look around her a couple of years ago, very nice and comfy for 4 so should be ok for your crew.

Not sure about last minute availability at Easter but have you looked at Richardsons, very good range of boats and good value for money in my opinion.

If you have not already come across it there is a topic running about wi fi on Richardsons boats at the moment, it's in the Broads Related Chat section.

Have a lovely time on what ever boat you choose.

Grace

Hi there, :wave

Depending what you are looking for, as Grace said, Richardsons are defo worth a look. They have several boats that allow two dogs and all are available the week you wish to book.

Happy hunting, hope you get a boat to suit you all.

cheers Iain.

Looking at your boat Fine freedom. We wanted 19th for 7 days but I see she is booked for weekend. We could maybe do the mon/ sun is that a possibility? back to school Monday! unless of course I take him out for a day and face the fine!

Fiona from Hoseasons just emailed me back with a costing for blenhiem, I was cheeky and asked for a discount plus free dogs as we are already booked with them in aug on silver spirit. If you don't ask you don't get. She has quoted £900 all in for the 7 days on blenhiem and  £919 on grande girl 2, not confirmed yet so would you be able to do a deal maybe? Private message me today if you could please.

Also looked at tranquil freedom but not sure about the roof as we would prefer to be able to open up just in case by some miracle the sun shines. Make me the right offer though and we may be tempted cheers:love

Hi Mandy, you could always give John and Linda a call at Maffett cruisers

01508 520344 and ask if their boat "Jay" is available?. she`s a 32ft aft cockpit Aquafibre, which sleeps 3-5 in 1 double, 1 single, and the dinette. She has a huge aft cockpit which is ideal for the dogs, and is a lovely boat. Karen and i hired her for a weekend last October for the Autumn meet at Coldham hall, and were very impressed with it.

Regards and best wishes ........................ Neil.

PS, i forgot to say, she`ll be a lot cheaper than hiring through Hoseasons. ......... Good luck.

Hi Mandybstorm

If you want Northern Broads it could be worth giving Sue at Summercraft a ring directly, you may get some concession, I think Grand Girl 2 is the ex private boat with a Bow Thruster.  We have hired from Summercraft for many years and always had good service, their boats are older designs but very well looked after.

• Like 1

In the days of Richard and Gwen Sabberton, they too ran that yard brilliantly. (Summercraft)

Canny type D..k for Richard.

cheers Iain.

I thought the Saberton family were the owners of "Sabina marine"?. I know it was owned by "Peter and Angie Saberton" in more recent years, maybe even now?. Anybody have any ideas?.

Regards to all ....................... Neil.

They were Summercraft I can assure you. I hired many of there boats early 80's three times a year. I believe there was a family fued and He started up Summercraft.

Gwen was maticulous how clean the boats were and the beds made up.

cheers Iain.

Hi Folks

Thanks for all your help. After much deliberation, phone calls, emails and hours spent browsing we have finally booked.

We have gone for Swan Royale via the Hoseasons site. We have run it through Quidco and it was already discounted so not a bad deal all round.

I just hope she is ok as I understand she is an old boat. Nice and flat for the dogs, 240 volts for the gadgets, sliding roof incase of sunshine, bedroom at the rear for sneaking out with the dogs for late night tiddles. It also looks as though she has a reasonable size sofa too?

Has anyone hired her? Hoping I made the right choice!

Hi there

We have hired Swan Royale virtually every year for the last 10 years, it is our favourite boat. In fact we will be back again at the end of May. Also you have made an excellent choice of boatyard. Swancraft are a small family run yard, you will be very well looked after, nothing is too much trouble for them.

Swan Royale is an older boat but Swancraft really do look after their boats so everything is immaculately maintained. I don’t think you will be disappointed. The saloon is very comfortable with an L shaped settee.

Visibility is excellent particularly with the roof down. The boat handles very well and you also have bow thrusters for added manoeuvrability. The engine is extremely economical, if you go with the tides and stick to around half throttle you will use very little fuel. We typically use around 40 – 50 litres a week, although that is usually in June so we don’t use the heating much.

I’m sure that you will be very happy with your choice. I know this boat pretty well so please ask away if you need any more info. If the lottery came up I’d certainly be making Swancraft an offer!

• Like 1

Thanks Norfolknog

:clap

That's reassured me!

You just never know do you, it's so difficult when you've only got the photos to go by. I haven't been able to find many reviews of her at all.

Do you have any photos you could email me of the inside?

No worries if not, i'll just have to wait, only 14 sleeps as they say!

Blimey, I'd better get the roofbox on!!!

Thanks Alan, already seen that one before we booked. I was hoping for a youtube video or something for a warts and all poke around the loo ect...

Been on the laptop all day, must log off before I go boseyed! Hubby watching the voice (not my cup of tea).

Hi Mandy

Sorry can’t find much photo wise of the interior which isn’t on the website. The photos are accurate and give a true representation. I believe Swancraft were going to refit the galley for this season but don’t quote me on that. The toilets were refitted a couple of years ago with new basins and wc’s. The compartments are not massive but there is plenty of room to shower in comfort.

As I mentioned earlier Swancraft have very high standards of maintenance so I would be most surprised if you have any problems. Please bear in mind it is an older boat albeit very well maintained and this is reflected in the price.

They were Summercraft I can assure you. I hired many of there boats early 80's three times a year. I believe there was a family fued and He started up Summercraft.

Gwen was maticulous how clean the boats were and the beds made up.

cheers Iain.

Hi Ian, they may have owned Summercraft in the 80s or so, but Summercraft have been going since the 70 at least, as i can remember some of their boats in the Hoseasons brochure. The ones that come to mind are "Gossamer Girl", "Grand Girl", and "Galaxy Girl". All were all timber construction, with a similar design, but different lengths.

Back on topic,

you can`t go wrong with Swancraft Mandy, a first class family yard, with some excellent boats, and the old ones in the fleet are just as well maintained and presented as their new ones.

Regards to all ......................... Neil.

Hi Neil,

Yes, and also Glitter Girl, Grande Girl were sister boats, Galaxy Girl is still on the broads saw her Horning last year. Grovesner Girl, plastic hull, wood top a beast in cross winds.

Gracious Girl too. Was great seeing the lads out with the dinghy going round all the Blue Hulls touching them up, after being scratched.

Back to Swan Royale, I am sure she was built around 1982 the same time as Rapide was built next door down at Alpah Craft. I hired her second year 1983.

I had Silver Harmony last year and had a peek at Swancrafts boats, as has been said, Mandy, you are getting a very good boat for the money, and also I always have found that class of boat to be very easy to handle. Have a geat holiday. 

cheers Iain.