A VERY RARE SIGHT FOR BBMF ENTHUSIASTS

SPEEDTRIPLE

Nice sight Neil, I believe you can have a flight on the Canadian one, in Canada.  There are also flights in South Africa on a Lightning, I think a Buccaneer and I cannot remember the others.  I believe there are pleasure flights on old aeroplanes in the United States.  I used to do an air show once a year flying in on a DC3 and was going to do one to Jersey but our European masters stepped in and put end to that.  Another freedom gone. :norty:

• Like 1

Nice sight Neil, I believe you can have a flight on the Canadian one, in Canada.  There are also flights in South Africa on a Lightning, I think a Buccaneer and I cannot remember the others.  I believe there are pleasure flights on old aeroplanes in the United States.  I used to do an air show once a year flying in on a DC3 and was going to do one to Jersey but our European masters stepped in and put end to that.  Another freedom gone. :norty:

Absolutely spot on.

Tking passengers on planes like those you mention is against the Health and Safety Gestapos rules. We`re not allowed to enjoy ourselves if it means we`re not 2,000% safe in their eyes.

These two will be at the Bournemouth airshow at the end of this month, and i work at Bournemouth Airport where they`ll be landing. I`m going to make sure my camera is charged up, and get some photo`s, as it`ll probably be the last time i`l see 2 flying together. Having said that, the other one that`s based in Lincolnshire somewhere (i think?) will not be given a license to fly, as it needs 4 new engines. But after a conversation with a good friend of mine, he told me they have them, so it will hopefully be flying soon. I did read somewhere that you can actually pay for a taxi run up and down the runway in it, though i don`t know if that`s correct. Anybody else know any more on the subject?.

Regards to all ......................... Neil.

Great - she has arrived.  I see from her schedule that she is due to do a flypast with the British BBMF Lanc at Bournemouth.  We are going to be there (or else) to see those two and my favourite a/c theVulcan.

The Classic Flight people based in Newquay do pleasure flights in the Dragon Rapide, a Chipmunk, a Percival Prentice to name but a few.  They will also give you an aerobatic flight in the Chippy for a fee.  We had a flight in the Duxford Cloth Bomber (Rapide) a few years back.  Everyone was weighed before going on board and seated to balance the aircraft.

SueH

PS - sorry Neil our replies crossed in the post!  Working at Bournemouth eh - some people have all the luck!

PPS - Keith.  Martin just mentioned that the South African Lightning met a sad end and did not do the pilot any good either.

• Like 1

Great - she has arrived.  I see from her schedule that she is due to do a flypast with the British BBMF Lanc at Bournemouth.  We are going to be there (or else) to see those two and my favourite a/c theVulcan.

The Classic Flight people based in Newquay do pleasure flights in the Dragon Rapide, a Chipmunk, a Percival Prentice to name but a few.  They will also give you an aerobatic flight in the Chippy for a fee.  We had a flight in the Duxford Cloth Bomber (Rapide) a few years back.  Everyone was weighed before going on board and seated to balance the aircraft.

SueH

PS - sorry Neil our replies crossed in the post!  Working at Bournemouth eh - some people have all the luck!

PPS - Keith.  Martin just mentioned that the South African Lightning met a sad end and did not do the pilot any good either.

Hi Sue,

If you are definitely coming to the Bournemouth airshow, let ma know what day or days you`re coming, we are intending to go, so it would be nice to say hello.

the sunday mirror "holiday travel supplement" this morning reports that there will

be 3 lancaster bombers at bournemouth air show  august 28-31,   

so you may be lucky neil

oooooh,

This is getting better by the day.

Thanks for that GC

" the sunday mirror "holiday travel supplement" this morning reports that there will

be 3 lancaster bombers at bournemouth air show  august 28-31, "

I was sure I read that there were only 2 flying Lancasters left in the world, is the other a static display?

Dave

Hi Dajen

There is a static "Lanc" at Duxford and S for Sugar is at the RAF Museum at Hendon.

"Just Jane" is at East Kirkby Lincolnshire and I think that she was waiting for new engines in 2012 to make her airworthy, I haven't heard if that happened. That will make her the third in the world to fly. Once apon a time she was at Biggin Hill in the late sixties before flying to Lincolnshire where I saw her completing taxing trials. Awesome.

the sunday mirror "holiday travel supplement" this morning reports that there will

be 3 lancaster bombers at bournemouth air show  august 28-31,   

so you may be lucky neil

That certainly would be something to see, but unfortunately it sounds as though our hopes are being raised by the journalist's lack of attention to detail  :unsure:

There's no mention of a third Lanc (airborne or static) on the Bournemouth Air Festival's webpage, it just says "The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the Canadian Lancaster will be flying on the Saturday and Sunday."

http://bournemouthair.co.uk/whats-on/

The BBMF's display diary just mentions "2Lancs/Hurri/Spit/Dak" as well.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/displayinfo/

(Bl**dy tabloid journalists, can't even count up to three accurately !)

Yes, i was talking to a friend (in Norfolk) on faceache the other day, and he said the one in East Kirkby HAS 4 new engines now, but whether or not they`re yet installed and tested and certified is another matter. Would`nt it be a sight to see, 3 Lancasters flying in formation.

On a recent TV programme titled "What the Dambusters did nex", they had the wreckage of a downed Lancaster somewhere in Norway. which is still lying where it crash landed, though the ravages of time have started to take their toll. This particular Lanc is the sole survivng example from the original Dam raid.

I can recommend another book here,  :)

"The Dambusters" by Paul Brickhill.

There are many books about 617 and the raid, but that particular one covers the whole war period for the squadron, with the Dam Buster Raid just being the first third of the book.

Although the weel known film has made that particular mission famous, their efforts throughout the war were even more amazing, such as their development of pin point accuracy, surpassing the pathfinder squadrons.  The main Lanc bomber force above  20,000 feet dropped tallboys and grand slams with previously unheard of accuracy. This was often achieved by the squadron and group leaders (after Gibson) flying over the target at zero feet in mosquitoes and single engined fighters to accurately drop flares for the sophisticated bomb sites to lock onto.

It also goes into detail with the extensive efforts of Barnes Wallis, who's world famous bouncing bombs were very much eclipsed by his main brainchild, the tallboy and grand slam bombs, which hit the ground at supersonic speed, and totally destroyed Hitler's immense concrete structures in the closing stages of the war.

You can fly on the one in Canada, my brother in law did this back in 2007.  The cost then was $2,000 so it's probably a bit more now.

He's Lancaster mad as his Grandfather flew one in WW2, he's going to dig one up in Holland later this year!!

A friend also lives about 200 yrds from Coningsby and sent me these photos.

post-23-0-46394500-1408092822_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-42266900-1408092833_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-05621400-1408092842_thumb.jpg

• Like 2