Ade at sea on ITV (channel 3) at 19.30 tonight

Just watched Ade at sea, very good. A few years back Marina and I had two weekends on Canter, Thames barge over three years.The first was at Maldon the second from Ipswich.Good fun we had a full time skipper and two mates,the rest of us crewed,I can say for sure raising the main sail with two people was very hard work.It was a great weekend at sea during day time and stopping close to shore watching the sun set,with a beer or wine.

Ian :saily:

• Like 1

I took Uncle Albert for a trip out on a Thames barge, can't remember which one, but he didn't enjoy it much as it was very much a case of 'sit there and don't touch anything'. So to make amends I hired the Humber Keel Comrade for the day to celebrate Uncle Albert's 50th birthday. Now Comrade means a lot to Uncle Albert as he was 'the boy' on Comrade before he joined the RN. To be fair I did warn the Comrade crew (five of them) that Uncle Albert would be our guest of honour for the day and they recovered well from the shock of him showing them his 'hidey hole' (ooh er Mrs) above the ledge where he slept in the bow which still contained a photograph and three 'Players' cigarettes. The day turned into a learning session for the crew as Uncle Albert started to move lines and sheets to the correct positions. With Uncle Albert on the tiller, and the now redundant crew relegated to sitting with us 'out from under his feet' and sipping champagne, we made our way with a full sail under the Humber Bridge. fantastic day out...the old boy refused to kick the bucket though!

HelmComrade_zps42cc86d3.jpg

• Like 5