What's was happning with Potter's Bridge

Siddy

I don't know the reason why it was boarded up, but it must have been for quite some time.

If you google "Potter Heigham Bridge" for images, there's several showing it boarded up on the first page.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=potter+heigham+bridge&client=firefox-a&hs=RHx&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=nts&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=dHIeVKvDNsnfaOu-guAM&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1033&bih=544#imgdii=_

I still have no hard evidence to quote here, but I I'm getting doubts about the side arch timber work being to deter canoeists.

When you enlarge that section of the photos, the timber work is on a very heavy scale, 9" by 3" timbers clamped by even thicker iron girders.

It's clearly above average water level, so not designed to dam the side culverts either.

IMHO it was bridge structure strengthening, which was later removed after the bridge was strengthened internally ?

post-195-0-77009000-1411294599_thumb.jpg

No need for theories.  The bridge was braced though the side arches prior to proper repair. The bridge is a listed monument and was in a poor state.  It has been repaired once more since the braces were removed.  

David (Expilot)

• Like 4

No need for theories.  The bridge was braced though the side arches prior to proper repair. The bridge is a listed monument and was in a poor state.  It has been repaired once more since the braces were removed.  

David (Expilot)

Thanks David for reply,

Now I know what I require tae do wi my dodgy ancient legs, get them braced :naughty:

cheers Iain.

I don't know the reason why it was boarded up, but it must have been for quite some time.

If you google "Potter Heigham Bridge" for images, there's several showing it boarded up on the first page.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=potter+heigham+bridge&client=firefox-a&hs=RHx&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=nts&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=dHIeVKvDNsnfaOu-guAM&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1033&bih=544#imgdii=_

Some great pictures there, but I had a shock when I saw Graham Cook's picture in the link.

A reminder to take care when on the water. I can't believe it's over 2 1/2 years since the tragedy.

He is still sadly missed.

Although we never used his services on our boat, we always had a word prior to transitting the bridge, and his advice was always first class.

......I had a shock when I saw Graham Cook's picture in the link.

A reminder to take care when on the water. I can't believe it's over 2 1/2 years since the tragedy.

He is still sadly missed......

Yes indeed, a tragic reminder of how water can catch out even one of the most experienced professionals.