BERMUDA 34 INFO PLEASE

Tony

Hello one and all and hope there are a few others out there with this model from Frank Wild????

Im a new member and have just purchased the Bermuda34 called DEFENDER2.

I would be very interested in talking to anyone who has one of these and can give me an incite into life aboard.

I take delivery on Monday 17th November 2014 and will be moving aboard in March 2015 when it will become my new home.

Has anyone ever adapted the toilet to pump into the river rather than the holding tank as I would be interested in knowing how to do this.

Should I remove interior panelling and fit insulation as the only source of heating at the moment is a wood burner but im also looking at other heating methods.

Any help or advice would be fantastic. I am an ex-mechanic and fabricator with all my own tools and can turn my hand to most things and not easily phased by hard work etc.

cheers in advance Guys/Girls,

Tony xmas4

Yes Maurice you are correct, the boat will be on the River Crouch near Maldon Essex and if I understand it correctly I can 'legally' empty the loo into the sea???

It still has its original tank type toilet at the moment which pumps into a storage tank on the side of the boat, the only problem is that there are no nearby 'pump out' facilities at local marinas.

I'm more than happy to fit a chemical toilet if required to but I will be living on the boat and therefore it would be easier to use and maintain a sea toilet.

Am I right in thinking that a sea toilet vents everything out the side of the boat or through a vent in the bottom?!?

If this is the case, would I have to drill holes in my hull to fit an outlet pipe or will there be one there already?

Any help would be appreciated Guys,

Thanks, Tony. 

As the Bermuda was designed solely with fresh water cruising in mind, it would be unlikely to have the hull fittings for a sea toilet already in place. How hard that job is, or how expensive, I wouldn't like to say, However, depending on the type of toilet you have, you might be able to get the best of both worlds.

That is to say, you might be able to put the hull fitting in and then have it so by way of a valve, you send your "stuff" either out through the hull, OR into the holding tank. This could quite possibly be to your advantage when the time comes to sell the craft on.

I fitted a "Simpson Lawrence SL400" to my Pandora International back in the early 90s. I had to drill 2 holes in the hull below the waterline, one large for waste diposal, and one small for the flushing water inlet. BEFORE DRILLING ANY HOLES, GET THE CORRECT THROUGH HULL SKIN FITTINGS AND STOP VALVES FIRST. That way, you will know exactly what size holes you need to drill. ALLWAYS USE BRONZE FITTINGS, plastic being completely unsuitable for below the waterline. Also, make sure you space the in / out fittings well apart, so you don`t end up flushing your loo with efluent that you`ve just pumped out.

It`s an easy job to do, but make sure you have the right tools. Also, when fitting the through hull fittings, ALWAYS use a high quality MARINE SEALANT, SPECIFICALLY for use below the waterline.

Also, make sure the skin fittings and valves are located in an area AWAY from the bilges, as bilge water etc may increase the chances of corrosion.

I hope this helps.

Good luck, and please let us know how you get on.

Hi Tony, 

On the houseboat we have a standard household loo connected to a standard (240v) macerator (like a saniflow - although a cheap one from ebay (£90)) which pumps out above water level (although is connected to hoses to position the outlet below the water level.. we don't want any fixings below the waterline - glamorous stuff ey).. you can use a standard jabsco loo though although a macerator is a requirement for our marina. If you are going into rivers then you will probably need to pump below water level and consider putting a Y valve (and a tank at some point) (or as others mention put in a composting loo etc) I think you should be ok to pump overboard but it may just be worth checking with the harbour master, if there is such thing at maldon or check with locals. 

• 2 months later...

Just a little update re my Bermuda 34 called DEFENDER 2.

Ive been decorating the kitchen and forward cabin/lounge area. I decided to take the sea toilet out and replace it with a chemical type toilet as the Marina im at has facilities for this type.

Ive bought some furniture for the boat and also made some steel wall mounting brackets so I can fit a block of three cupboards above my bed and mounted to the rear wall above the engine cover. This has made so much storage space in my bedroom and ive got loads of room for all my stuff when I move aboard next month.

Today ive fitted a car roof storage box on the roof at the rear above my bedroom. I will use this for dry coal and wood storage and it will free up room inside the boat.

Ive taken a few photos and will upload them when ive worked out how to do it, lol.

• Like 2