Norfolk First

JennyMorgan

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/celebrating_300_years_since_first_true_peal_was_rung_on_norwich_church_s_bells_1_3912766

I'm not a fanatical bell ringer, I don't spend my holidays 'tower grabbing, but it is something that I have dabbled in for over forty five years. Nevertheless I did not know Norwich's place in the history of bell ringing. The history of Broadland is indelibly linked with Norwich, although Norwich seems to have distanced itself from its waterfront.

• Like 1

Well! Who'd have thought?

I loved the bell foundry visit we always did on Normandy trips with the school kids. Villedieu les Poeles, aka 'God's Town the Cooking Pots' :) they make copper cooking ware there too.

Once they were casting the GI Mike statue for St Mere Eglise, the place where the parachutist hung on the church spire all day with the locals frantically distracting the Germans until nightfall when he could be rescued. Billowing silk created in bronze, looked and felt awesome.

• Like 1

I did a few sessions at Hartlip Church many many years ago. I must of bounced the bell too hard as the stay snapped. Remembered to let go as I left the ground and saw the size of the little hole the rope was going through. That got the heart beat thumping faster. Did not get invited back after that.

You let go, gosh! So long as the 'sally' didn't go up through the hole then you could have enjoyed the ride. I have never managed to break a stay although I've bounced one or two. In my early days I was ringing at Chichester Cathedral when I got right out of place and too many bells were ringing at the same time, weird, apparently the tower walls are sixteen feet thick yet we could feel the momentum of the bells actually moving the tower. The tower captain was understandably not happy.

• Like 1

Iain,

Red card for mentioning the bad word this time of year - Easter!!!

Your the type of person who obviously looks forward to the next set of public holidays

I too am looking forward to time off, but dare not think of Easter eggs.

Mark,

That was easter 1981! So disny count :norty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1