outboard budget repair no money ? big girl

650xs

whilst i have enough to do, i simple won,t leave it so i decided to bring a wreck from the dead, back to life with bits and bobs

lying in the dust and dirt was a 70 hp 1975 omc outboard, to lay person an ooot board big un with grunt ....well it might go 

she was bourgth by me some time ago as a non runner poss scrapper to rob bits from

i foolishly  left her, once bought her,  on the side of the yard on a  pallet wrapped up and it got moved around and forgotten ohhh dear !!!

what a numptie........................me 

till.......................

a nice chap who couldn,t get a good signal on his fone decided to run over the whole engine on palllet with his large lorry whilst staying in cab for over nite stay after large delivery previous day .ummmmm

well after mutch shunting and sodding around and still not much better fone signal he managed to run over poor ole girl ouut boood and break the prop in two but not happy with that he decided to give it one more go and finally ripped his tyre to pieces 

ohhh dear .......................never mind 

when i came in the monrn and saw what he did, remember the ouut boord was on palleet on side of yard not in road way 

i patted him on shoulder and said  "well dunn "

**** ole girl sat in pallet untill i fell in love with her again she was taken to the den and put onto one side till i felt like it 

so a few week ago i said "sod it" ill do sum thing for me ........a break from the norm still boat stuff but its a break for me 

as i said i was to do this out orf bits and bobs all of it as much as poss......

so first move her off pallet and make engine stand ......................ummmmm

out of bits and bobs i said ....................soo hunt round the local boat scrap yard ,which is rite on my door steep to find sum thnag to make ouut bood stand ............

simple and quick .......................easy good ole house basher treasel steel type 

adjustable ,steel reasonably strong and cheap ............free ! tick some boxes so far 

i,m to do alot of this as i can and cheap as poss and make mistakes/probs   too and show them too as i go along all to prve with some effort and time it can be done some how 

so engine dragged across floor and new metal ooot boood stnad taken to den 

simple lift engine put / hang on engine .........................nope 

frame on stand not correct to fitt the bracket as too thin and not wide enough 

back to scrap yard scrounge some ply wood and bolt engine to stand simple and safe easy fitt nice in middle to look rite and all steady ...................noooooo

center of gravity is orf ok till i lean on ootboood to look at my lucky simple find so numptie bloke and engine head to floor at speed 

one engine ,stand and numptie on floor                pratt.........!!!

we do larn ...........................and admit mistakes ...............................dohh

dissasemble and make it a wider foot pattern with off cuts orf metal in shud /den ,now modified and steady too once quick weld with ole rods found in ole box been stood for years too lots of old stock and old bits .....

next to paint it  with some left over paint not new ...................ohh now .....

now on its stand and steady ,time to look at it closer ...........................

ohh ohh dear ........................ohh dear ..........................am i wasting my time .................!!?????

i did and will cheat on some orf this as i,m lucky to have certian stuff!!!! but the i,m trying to do all this on the cheap out of ole bits and bobs 

use orf the engine hoist is a must as i have a crappy back now ......and ole fart 

shall we go on ............................?

post-24077-0-97184200-1421136136_thumb.j

post-24077-0-46497900-1421136364_thumb.j

post-24077-0-16473700-1421136517_thumb.j

• Like 4

Should have tried to claim on the lorry drivers insurance, Might have managed to get a spanking new one :)

MM 

I was thinking exactly the same idea! Perfick insurance job and no mistake.

Jon, stop slacking get back to that engine/moter thingy pronto quick and  keep yer skills factor 8 up tae scratch! :naughty: In other words MORE please! :clap

cheers Iain

• Like 1

rit eohh i,m on best i can .....

in reality i looked at and said sod it, come back later when energy and   entuusasuim 

is high

so i did 

rite once the engine was on the new super doopar  stand and i knew it was not ceased i proceeded to look into this lump further is it worth doing?????

i did check to see it thar was not too much play in end float i.e. up and dunn movement in flywheel and to see if crank bearing are a little worn  and it was all good 

rite next job remove the air box ,carbs and starter etc to look inside the inlet side off things ,what we suck the good stuff in tar know 

all bolts came un done so far all good air box off and carbs and linkages all removed all looks ok and clean part from a year worths off dust etc 

block was cleaned with a carb cleaner and blown down with air with carbs on first to remove almost oll debri etc externally .of coarse the inlet were rag guarded to stop stuff going in ..........

i was going to delve deeper into engine before test ,with compression test or even see if to start before i got to carried away but found too many little things missing,fuel lines links and balance pipes broken coils etc etc etc , so stopped to proceed to strip and investigate as is what is .....

also the mid section and gear box had been in a battle before the lorry decided to try to kill her off.............ohh dear more issues ...keep going ..........

some one had given it a goo with chisel and best hammer ......and lost .....!!

so had  a poke inside the reed block and lower crank case to see a nice bright clean inerds ....................good ...good so far 

now battle with her to spin over with starter back on and com test to prove condition off the top end or ....betterr still just slip orf the gear box etc .........well i was bored so decided to got for the little job off the gear box orff..............

more ohhh dears ...........................

lots off swearing ..cutting and levering to be done ,as the drive shaft was stuck like a stuck thang in the power head...not uncommon........a steel shaft in steel crank to connect drive from engine to gear box added with hint of yrs or contamination or salt water  and air from 1975 and no abba playing either ..........!!!!!

blimmey that was a mess and a fews hrs to sort it ....but off now 

so power head or engine as yer know it orrf to home made bench made from old table saw bench , more recyling to support the power head and bolt dunn to run with stater on and spin ove rot do all compression tests and leak done test too 

pic to follow as the compute is on holiday from the real world and having a large family house with 7 on tuk internet i,m a bi slow with dunn loads and pics  .....great ,kids and gaming first .......what about my public profile i said ....umphhhhh............

keep smiling and carry on ..............................love them 

• Like 5

had to cut the mid section to gain access to the drive shaft to then be able to get a cutting disc in thar grrrr

once dun engine orf from the mid section then onto special new design engine stand .ole saw bench

a cheat again to lift power head from mid section to the secret new engine set bench ....!!!!!with engine hoist 

now reinstate the starter ready for the comp test etc 

so stater on batt coupled on and a quick set up orf the comp test equimp 

blimmey all good all good all the same 115 psi ..greta some good news .....

spins freely and nice too 

lots orf sucking and blowing 

not bad for 1975 

when i took plugs out they were brand new not been run so i reckon someone was half way through the service etc till the leg /gear box etc go bettter orf them 

gear box is a bit sick from all the hammering and lorry testing so i will investigate later 

next i will strip carbs and inspect and clean 

i now plan to rebuild on engine bed test bench to fire and run i will add water to run for a few munutes to see how it sounds etc 

all as is thne retro fitt to a new mid secrtion and gear box to test run a load 

once i,m happy with all i will strip to see the water  jackets etc and see if i need to carry on 

when all said and dun i will repaint, check all in detail and give it a make over doffo not green ...................

post-24077-0-74362000-1421186911_thumb.j

post-24077-0-52745000-1421187165_thumb.j

post-24077-0-37845100-1421187430_thumb.j

post-24077-0-44365200-1421187591_thumb.j

post-24077-0-20234300-1421187841_thumb.j

• Like 6

rite because i,m planning to do this from ole bits, scrap parts etc aqnd a donor engine iff needed to come out too

i will use worn discarded sand paper rag and and paint to tidy up the new stands

there is an old sayin that yer can poss run a small boat from the rubbish from a boat yard

i,m going to tidy up stand and new engine bench with some old sand paper and old paint found in ole tins .left overs to me .........all quality gear too yar know

so orf to hunt down some primers and selaers and wild paint ......

me and" bear gryls" are or to the paint cupboards and siev througth the wrecks i own to see what we can find that will go orf, so test first all old paints and make sure they cure orf other wise yer look a sily billly if yer paint the whole thang ,only to watch it run orf to meet the floor in a sticky pile never curing and making a puddle messs or colours on tha floor ..........opps see i do larn but not alyways

now can i find a nice colour .........................will see

so engine stand and engine test bed all to be tidied up as the bolt togther and sand tidy up all dont take money just time with old bit s of sand paper and recycled thinners i,m orf on budget tidy up

now orf to find some stiff brushes to reclaim in the paint pots ...i did say all on the cheap ....tigth ****

so far spend has been two new botls ,out orf stock but new .......damm the expence 1.75

one can of suppa doopa carb cleaner 2.50

power to drive the drill and grinder estimated and compressor too..................1.50

cost orf engine estimated 100.00

see cost are building up ........................

now save on next lot of works to do.......................................

tea, chocolate bars and cans of coke are from my own personnal pocket, need some thang to eat fund

well no input no output .......

I started this some time ago in my world nad do this in eves when ive got the eneegy

post-24077-0-18772900-1421223014_thumb.j

• Like 3

try this some pics and info

which paint to choose some old stuff in errr

got these old brusheds too, quick clean in petrol and wipe dunn plenty good enough for ole oot bood to paint primer on use to clean and degresas etc

waste not wan t not ehh upp

now then found ole tin orf paint quite goods tuff too ,super strong brilliant white and the dogs to shine too its free ! that the main thang err is  to do the hole thang on the cheap and make it work...

one little prob been stood a while in old dusty corner orf yard ,move it and bottom rottern so all white floor now ,quick transplant the good stuff in to new tin ...savings savings .......

bucket got ole petrol to clean ole engine bits cheaper than deagreser but not to safe ...now whars me fag ..!!!!!

pic of gear box looking a bit sad but im sure we can rebuild her ...I hope

look close a t the drive shaft ohh dear ohh dear

still got to get it oot orf crank yet

now then I stil need to find the rite colour for the out side orf the engine ........ant suggestion got retro or new modern

poss prop is beyond repair but I will give good go to rebuild it just for demonstration purposes :naughty:

post-24077-0-62593300-1421256747_thumb.j

post-24077-0-37377000-1421257029_thumb.j

post-24077-0-72415600-1421257099_thumb.j

post-24077-0-65321200-1421257224_thumb.j

post-24077-0-92400400-1421257304_thumb.j

post-24077-0-44055700-1421257391_thumb.j

post-24077-0-32034400-1421257490_thumb.j

• Like 3