Broadland Memories – can you help please?

NorfolkNog

Hi All

As you all know Carol does a fantastic job of running the Broadland Memories site and has created an invaluable and fascinating record of days gone by on the Norfolk Broads. I know that many of you enjoy the wealth of information that is available there.

Carol has enjoyed generous support in terms of gifts or loans of films, photographs and general memorabilia as well as generous IT support. However she does devote many hours of unpaid time to maintain the website.

The situation has now arisen that Carol needs to seriously upgrade both software and hardware to maintain the site and to ensure that it is compatible with a rapidly changing environment in terms of mobile phones, tablets and so on.

In addition Carol does purchase some of the material, particularly films and photo collections from ebay and the like and this can be very expensive. Again this funding has come entirely from Carol’s own pocket in the past.

Carol is very reluctant to ask for help and is only doing so as a last resort. Therefore I would like to ask you to consider making a small donation by clicking the donate button on the blog and on Carol’s main site.

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/

This matter has been discussed on a previous thread

Griff has made an extremely generous offer for which Carol is touched and most grateful. However perhaps the ideal would be if a few folks could consider making a small individual donation rather than placing the burden on one or two individuals.

One suggestion is to think on the lines of the price of a pint or a magazine. It would not cost a great deal and if a few of us could do that on an occasional or even better a regular basis I’m sure that Carol would be most grateful.

I would like to stress that I personally have no financial interest in Broadland Memories and I also know that any donations will be used entirely to support the site and ensure it goes from strength to strength so that we and future generations can enjoy this valuable resource.

I have just made a small donation myself and it really is very easy. Please help if you can.

Thank you very much

cheers

• Like 4

Howard .. you are a lovey .... thank you ! :)cheers    You make I blush :blush:

And a massive thank you so much to everyone who has made a donation or contacted me. I'm really overwhelmed by the support with donations and offers of help and advice. It's so lovely to know that people enjoy the website so much. I love it ... but it's nice to know that others do too

I have decided that I do need to rebuild the website from scratch, so it makes sense to do that in the latest version of the software I use. I should hopefully be on the phone tomorrow trying to negotiate a deal with Serif and will make a start on getting to grips with it and have a play with the ideas I have for the redesign whilst I get the funds in place for a new computer. Your help will make such a big difference though and I'm quite excited (if not a tad daunted) at the prospect of a brand spanking new Broadland Memories!

Thanks once again

Carol

• Like 6

• 5 months later...

Hi Folks

Just the very gentlest of bumps :-)

Carol shares some fantastic old films with us. Some are generously donated, however some are purchased by Carol on eBay. The cost of these can be considerable particularly if collectors have deep pockets. Therefore it would be really helpful if anyone has the price of a pint they could help with. It could even be a Wetherspoons pint, it doesn't have to be a lot!

Many folks have already helped Carol out which is much appreciated.

Thank you very much, as I say it's a very gentle bump :-)

Link to Carols site at the top of the thread. 

• Like 3

Oh Howard - you are a dear cheersbar

Thanks to everyone for their support and kind words about Broadland Memories. I genuinely love doing what I do with the website and it is so good to get all of this stuff out their for people to enjoy and, hopefully, learn a little about the history of the area. Once I get the garden chores out of the way, and pluck up the courage to put my foot down with my mother over all the running around after her I seem to be doing, I will get back to work on the website! Roll on the autumn.

My latest blog post hopefully explains a bit about the reason for Howard bumping this thread up.

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2015/08/latest-archive-additions/

Carol

• Like 3