Cordless Angle Grinder

He's at it again!

Ok,  well that is to say I'm at it again.

In my job (Wall and Floor Tiling) I use a corded angle grinder many times in the day and every day (Currently a Makita Paddlemaster)  I use it for cutting ceramics / porcelain and natural stone, with a very good quality 115mm diamond blade.  All cutting is down outside - never in a clients house (Dust etc)

However now and again, especially when dealing with porcelain tiles a straight cut on a tile cutter can often result in a 'Feather' standing proud which needs to be trimmed back square, Tile nibblers are no good as porcelain especially vitrified porcelain is to hard - the only way is to trim it back square with the diamond blade of an angle grinder.

Problem it's often a ten day camel hike from the clients bathroom to outside.

The solution would be to have a cordless angle grinder to hand in said bathroom - a bit of trimming would produce minimal dust and would save me a fathom of time not having to go outside, not to mention the trotting down / upstairs etc.

Now I don't need a 'Named / Branded' professional quality tool here as it would never be used for actual cutting, just a few seconds trimming with very little if any load put on the motor.  So a cheap and cheerful DIY / Hobby job will do, it must be able to accept a standard 115mm blade though. I was in B&Q today - saw a 'Ryobi' cordless angle grinder for £64:00.

That'll do nicely methinks, I'll have it. BUT then I discovered the charger, 18v battery (4:0ah) are sold separately - Charger £75:00, Battery £70:00 so the whole package would have cost over £200 !!

That in my book is not cheap and cheerful.  So I've been having a look-see around, by the time I have bought the grinder / charger / battery they are all around the £200 mark - I must be looking in the wrong places.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks,

Griff

Hi Griff

My brother uses all cordless tool (which cost him a fortune) but as a self employed window / conservatory installer corded tools are really too cumbersome especially when up ladders and often working in empty properties.

One of his big complaints is the price of extra batteries. I know he's used compatible batteries which are much cheaper and work ok.

I'll ask where he gets them....... I know he uses Axminster tools for a lot of his gear.

Most of his tools are Makita but i would think batteries are available for other brands

cheers

David

Going for a low-cost, DIY shed type make for any cordless unit is often a waste of money long term as the battery fittings are peculiar to that tool and so the supply of batteries will be limited or non-existent in the future when you need one. 

The Ryobi idea is that you buy lots of Ryobi tools (which aren't bad) and have just a few batteries, which is why you buy the things separately in places like B&Q. 

You really need to consider the longer term cost of a "cheap" one. 

Hi Griff,

Most of the battery angle grinders seem to be purchase the body only and the charger and battery separately.

Have a look at this cheaper option at Clas Ohlson.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cotech-LXC-AG18-Angle-Grinder/40-8697?LGWCODE=408697000;83827;4797&gclid=CMKc-OjdkMQCFVDHtAodnQ8ACA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Regards

Alan

As I understand it, the power tool itself would normally come free in a packet of cornflakes, it';s the battery that costs the money, and invariably it's the battery that gives up the ghost first. Not holding a charge is favourite!

We all live in hope that battery technology will improve.

Ok, not a helpful post but be fair, when are mine ever :) 

• Like 1

Hi Griff,

Try these https://www.howetools.co.uk/amshopby/index/index/?tool_type=374..

You may be able to find a body only deal which matches your other cordless tools so makes replacing the batteries when they do give up that little bit more sensible.  Prices are pretty much trade prices anyway.

Good luck. cheers

Hi Griff

Years ago I worked in tool and plant hire.  These were quite popular.  Not hugely powerful and the blade is quite small, but they do the job, dust free.  Probably want a spare battery on charge as you use one.

http://www.makitauk.com/products/cordless-tools/tile-cutters/cc300dwe-10-8v-85mm-glassceramic-tile-cutter.html

Evening All,

Tks proper for your advice and help.  I will have a look at your recommendations tomorrow evening - Didn't get in til late this evening and spent hours sending out estimates  etc.

Thanks,

Griff

Speeking from past experiences, I wish you well with your estimates Griff. Its a lot of work pricing in any trade.

cheers Iain.