BOAT BREAKDOWN SERVICE ON THE SOUTHERN RIVERS

Hylander

We say the opposite to the AA, its the boat which is covered, not the person..

Any new customers this month Quote NBN and we will donate £10 to the Forum for each new customer! :party:

Roll up, Roll up! Come and have a day or two or a week or two with Ricco's..... :clap :clap :clap

• Like 1

We say the opposite to the AA, its the boat which is covered, not the person..

Any new customers this month Quote NBN and we will donate £10 to the Forum for each new customer! :party:

That's kind of you Clive..cheers Big shame you can't cover us southerners though :(

Sorry Monica but really cant see where your coming from, RAC, AA, Car Insurance, House Insurance, Health Insurance, even your boat insurance etc etc is non transferable so why should Boulters be any different just because you need to sell your boat as regrettable as that may be.

Fred

As said by Clive it is the boat that is insured and as we had only just, and I mean just paid the darn bill, I would have thought that it could have been passed fully paid to the next purchaser.   A bit of forethought on their behalf - another customer for the following year.    Clive is correct and now you can see why his business goes from strength to strength.   We are not talking AA, Greenflag , house insurance or the like we are talking of a service on the Norfolk Broads.       The boat is the same , except the people owning it will be different.   The mechanics dont alter, the engine is still serviced regularly yearly when we hand it over.

Hi Clive,

"We say the opposite to the AA, its the boat which is covered, not the person..

Any new customers this month Quote NBN and we will donate £10 to the Forum for each new customer"

This has got to be good news to any of the Northern Rivers based syndicates and other boats that are shared friends.

Thank you for offer and I hope you have many new customers for you recovery service.

Regards

Alan

Always happy to help a fellow boater in trouble.

Whilst we don't run a dedicated breakdown service for private owners, we have plans to at some point (just need to get our dedicated workboat completed). In the mean time, if we have capacity to help. we will.

• Like 8

I hate to disagree but on my membership card it has my name and not the boats, I really don't understand the problem, there is a reasonable chance that if you sell the boat the new owner may already have the breakdown cover and what if your boat goes to another waterway should the cover still be applicable then.

Have you asked Boulters that as you are giving up boating altogether is there a chance of a refund. Edited to add if I change boats my membership extends to cover the new boat without me needing to take out new cover, you cant have it both ways.

Fred

I am pretty sure they did ask for details of the boat when I signed up.

Going back to the original post I am sure it says they will tow you for 2hrs FOC to a destination of your choice and not their boat yard - after 2hrs you have to pay per hour.

I can understand why they don't transfer these things, but also really sympathise with your situation.

Should have kept quiet and told the new owners to use your name if they ever needed to call them out!!

It is not the money , if it was I think I would have stuck my head in the gas oven by now with all that we have paid out and will never recover.  Then that is another story.        It was just a thought that a firm such as Boulters, always friendly and go the extra mile , may have just allowed the cover to be given to the new buyer.     Ill heallth prevents us from purchasing another boat.

So everyone ,  make the most of every minute on your boat that you can.

• Like 3

Hylander,

As was mentioned earlier some companies dont seem to be able to use a bit of common or be flexible sometimes. 

I agree with your sentiments - you never know what is round the corner and I can only think I understand how hard it must be to give something up that you have loved and put your soul into for so long. I am not looking forward to that day.

My in-laws have been through a very similar thing with their motorhome which they have always done since time began. Age and ill health has forced them to give up something they love.

• Like 1

Thank you Bairunner,  I guess it comes to us all in the end,  but never mind,  onwards and upwards and I am looking forward to many riverside bungalows and being able to watch the boats that way.       Next year I am hoping that we will be able to hire a boat for a short stay just to see how we get on.   

• Like 2

Monica I have every sympathy with your situation and wish you well for the future, being a bit long in the tooth myself I can fully appreciate your predicament I just take exception to anyone slagging off a business with a hard won reputation because they wont or cant accommodate your particular needs.

Fred

It was just a thought that a firm such as Boulters, always friendly and go the extra mile , may have just allowed the cover to be given to the new buyer.    I have added -  

It is a  shame Sonny has gone.

Fred dear - in the scheme of things these days I think I am being more than generous to Boulters.      If that is slagging a company off well really.     I pointed out that they do not Transfer their Recovery if you sell the boat.       We have never made a claim in 6 years of being with them.      We often called in to buy gas etc throughout the year and as said they were really good.      It is a shame they cannot help in this matter.

Just looked at Boulter's T&C on this.

Point 14 reads:

If you require a refund on the breakdown service due to a sale of the boat or any other reason, a refund will
be issued for any remaining months on your breakdown cover minus a £6 + Vat administration fee. If you
have made any claims at all on the current policy then there will be no refund at all.
  • Like 2

Just looked at Boulter's T&C on this.

Point 14 reads:

If you require a refund on the breakdown service due to a sale of the boat or any other reason, a refund will
be issued for any remaining months on your breakdown cover minus a £6 + Vat administration fee. If you
have made any claims at all on the current policy then there will be no refund at all.

Very well spotted, Andy!   :clap :clap :clap :clap

Looking at this from a distance it would appear that one party didn't read the small print otherwise they would have known they could get their money back, and the other party hasn't made all their staff fully aware of their small print. To be honest, if I was Boulters I would rather transfer the policy and keep the remaining fee, rather than point out, or risk the customer finding out that they were entitled to their money back. Boulters, as has already been pointed out by Hylander are normally pretty good and I've never had anything but first class service from them. I suspect a little staff training maybe appropriate on this issue.

Still a good final outcome for Hylander and we all have another number we can call upon if needed. I can recommend the pump out at EMS, just watch out for all the fenders and speed limit signs in the vicinity :bowcheers:River Police

• Like 1

:thankyou we aim to please,sorry about the fenders but they keep my old man safe over the "busy"season .we are putting moorings in this year so the front will slowly become more clear as work advances making it easier to moor