BOAT BREAKDOWN SERVICE ON THE SOUTHERN RIVERS

Hylander

@Wehlau/EMS.. I'm just curious. How much is a tow back from lets say Great Yarmouth to St olaves? (I am sitting down lol) cheers

hi if it's in our favour ie tides with us and no waiting required it totals 155 pounds.emergency calls are a different tariff but if you book a tow we can work out a rate for each occasion.hope this helps
  • Like 4

As I am someone who tells it how it is,  I feel I must post and say that I have received an almost full refund directly into our bank from Boulters.

Thank you Donna.    

Delighted to read such good news, Monica. A result! Well done Boulters also. 

cheers Iain.

Without wishing to labour a point this comes back to the point I was trying to make about destroying the hard earned reputation of a good and caring business by rushing into print without exploring all possible avenues to resolve a problem, I also find it a bit distasteful that other businesses try to use such situations to promote themselves be they large or small, one would have thought that in todays climate a bit of solidarity wouldn't go amiss, the only one to deserve any credit is Andy for highlighting the T&Cs that were relevant and eventually resolved the situation.

Fred

rightly or wrongly guessing this was aimed at me Fred,

I would like to point out that I initially replied to Monicas opening question, I only then, much later when there was a issue with the forum member I stated the stance we take on the same situation, obviously I am advertising but,  the same as Andy, we both sponsor the site ,so as long as not all posts bang on about what we offer I don't see an problem.

I am Sonny and Donnas neighbour, our kids go to school together, I have respect for what they do so please don't get on a high horse as you will find I have never knocked another broads business whilst on this forum. 

• Like 1

I kinda agree with Fred on this (not about the credit to me, incidentally).

I have a long history with the Boulter family one way  or another (I bought a house from Terry and Helen many years ago) and I have always known them to be trustworthy, honest and jolly decent people.

It is often very easy to slate someone for a grievance that might have been solved simply without public attention.The growth of online forums and review sites (tripadvisor is a prime example) allows people with a problem to do immersurable damage to a business with just a few harsh and often ill-conceived words.

I am surprised that the situation didn't get resolved earlier given the rather simple T&Cs of this matter, but am pleased that it has been dealt with now and credit to Hylander for setting the record straight too.

As David Cameron once said (though I find it hard to believe him :-) ) we are all in this together.

As a consumer, with a little common sense I'd like to think, I think open forums and sites like trip advisor are great. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see those who clearly have their own agenda against a particular business or establishment and those businesses or establishments that really aren't cutting the mustard so to speak.

It's good to see this situation resolved and Boulters excellent reputation from the responses on here has not suffered one bit. I've never dealt with them in any capacity but have only ever heard or read good about them.

Alls well that ends well as they say ;)

cheers

• Like 3

I have my own views about those folk in Horning and they contrast greatly with what is here.

However! I'm surprised that nobody seems to have mentioned "Canal & River Rescue".?

They do cover the Broads, I specifically asked. That way leave the worrying all to someone else!

• Like 1

I am not going to comment on the customer service side of this as its been done.

But just got my renewal and at 118 squid seems a bargain if you have a call out ( sorry wehlau).

Like the AA/RAC. No one makes you take it out and 95% of the time you never need them. But it's peace of mind.

If I ever need to invoke a call out I will then pass comment.

Ps as per comment on trip advisor. I agree you have to weed out the dross. The ones who don't like the tea or had to wait 10secs to check in!!!

• Like 1

Well said Steve.

The t&c's of the canal rescue service are a bit strange..(http://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover/terms-and-conditions/) They read that they will only tow upto 2 hours (which will be pointless if you are based in the south and breakdown in the north), no towing on tidal rivers(!). It also states it 48 hours to arrange that.. after 2 hours I'm going to be fed up.. (Sorry Steve you may have a better policy though).  

Once again I do think there's a big gap in this cover on the broads and surprised it's not been filled.. I think you guys all need to get together and do a association.. as the hire fleet reduces and private ownership increases surely it's natural progression for you? You must have the boats and the staffing there to do it already.

cheers

Was with Boulters breakdown cover for about seven years. Only had to call them once after getting a pump out at Brooms and then finding the engine wouldn't start again. Called Boulters and they said they would be there as soon as possible. With nothing better to do, we both opened a can of beer and settled back to enjoy the sunshine whilst waiting for Boulters. Only about halfway through the can and help had arrived. Can not say better than that considering the distance involved. Was under way again within 20 minutes.

I have also been with N+G since owning my boat and in recent years they have included the Rivers and Canals breakdown cover for free. It is important to note though that there are I think three levels of cover and only the most basic is included free of charge, although you can upgrade to the other levels. Without checking the policy I believe the basic cover makes you a member and guarantees they will attend a call out, but on a preferential chargeable basis. So whilst not free it does guarantee you will get help, rather than having to take a chance and ring around yourself to find help.

Having made a number of improvements to my boat over the years and done all the annual servicing for some time, I was more than happy that I could cover all but the very major of problems. Having used Boulters once in  seven years I considered for me, that the service had become expensive and that even if I had to pay to use the Rivers and Canals service I would probably save money. I have the backup of a guaranteed response should I not be able to fix the issue myself. I realise that this would not suit everyone, but it suits me. For me the maths works and providing I keep the boat in a reasonable shape maintenance wise then I'm prepared to stick with Rivers and Canals.

I must stress that I had absolutely no issues with Boulters who gave very good service on the one time I needed them, and in the early years of ownership they also did the annual servicing. I still use them now for diesel and pump outs, although I must confess that since Horning Marine Services opened it just seems far easier to go there than navigate the dyke to Boulters. As with all insurance it always seems very expensive if you never need to make a claim, but you are always grateful to have it when you do need to make a claim. For me Rivers and Canals is not as comprehensive as Boulters, but for now a very valid and good compromise.

• Like 2

I've followed this with great interest because it's 'the peace of mind' that breakdown insurance gives Mary-Jane and me that counts most for us.

We've been insured with Boulters for a few years now and called them on two consecutive days when we had an overheating problem at Oulton Broad. That's a fair old drive in midday/week traffic but they arrived within an hour on both days and sorted out the two problems we had developed. All done in a cheerful professional way.

I call that service!  :clap :clap :clap