Which Pub ... and when?

AdnamsGirl

Hi Carol

It's worth a try. I'd be very interested to see one. I've a feeling it (the pub) used to advertise in the little booklets thats Blakes used to give out, as i think it was voted best Broadland small pub at one point.

I would agree with the dates on the Norfolk pubs site, I think they are a bit there and there abouts, so it sounds quite feasible.

Well done Sherlock!!

:grin:cheersbar

• 2 weeks later...

Ok ... another conundrum for you! :grin:

I'm not certain that this is actually a pub ..... no pub sign visible, but it looks as though it may have a license board over the doorway?? I can't get any details out of the road sign no matter what resolution I scan it at. One possible clue to the location is in what looks like a church type notice board on the right ... could it therefore be next to a church somewhere?

I am fairly certain that it was taken somewhere on or around the northern rivers - dating from 1931.

Any ideas where it is and if it was indeed a pub?

post-500-136713667844_thumb.jpg

Carol

Can't be sure but it does have a look of the Maltsters about it Carol. It has the distinctive double pitched roof ( I imagine the windows in the gable end, particularly the portholes, are later additions. The chimney stacks look right. looking at the front elevation, I think the original pub had 3 windows at the front, the part to the left of the pub looks to be a later addition, as the original chimney stack is still in place. The surrounding area looks very different though, so you never know!

cheersbar

post-131-136713668124_thumb.jpg

post-131-13671366813_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with Howard on this one,

You can't see the pub sign, as I think it is behind the tree to the left of the pic behind the fence. I think you can just see the base of the pole.

everything else, the chimneys, the front elevation and even the porch seem to be the Maltsters.

cheersbar

Edited to say, forget the possition of the entrance porch, as the original was not at the front door, but it does look similar in design to what is sticking out on Carols Pic.

just to add,

On closer inspection of the photos.

if you look on Howards first one above the left hand light, and to the right of the window, you can see a small arch thing (you know what I mean), this is also evident in Carols photo as a white arch,

Also the outcrop of brickwork leading away to the right of the newly put in window, on Howards photo is the same.

cheersbar

Howard if you're right, which I think you are, you're a bloody genius! I took one look at that shot of Carol's, thought "not a Scooby" and headed off to another thread.

Mind you, there's no-one better qualified to identify mystery pubs! :naughty:

It just shows how difficult it can be to try and identify locations in old photos sometimes Simon. Some things have changed so dramatically and, if it's at an angle you don't normally see in other photographs as in this case, it can just be annoyingly baffling!! I have a shelf full of books of old photos of the Broads, not to mention a website full of them which I can cross referrance with, and I still couldn't recognise it as The Maltsters!

If you happen to passing, it would make a very good "Then & Now" subject!! :naughty::grin:

Carol

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the last landlord at the Eagle was George Brooks. His wife and mother in law served behind the bar. He banned the Norwich brewery area manager from the pub and saw him off the premise with his Alsation. I shared the same area manager and can confirm the man was a complete t***er.

You are right Howard a great little pub.

• 6 months later...

Both Pat his wife and his mother in law whose name escapes me could both flay the skin off your back at 50 paces with their tongues, having said that both thoroughly

pleasant people, in fact Pat worked for me at the Ship for a time.

George actually used a twelve bore and the alsatian as I recall and mother in law as a reserve.