Any port in a storm?

Matt

I got my sea legs in 1961 crossing the North Sea on our way to Bergen in a force 10 gale. That was on board a small Blackwood Class frigate of the Fishery Protection Squadron. Spent over twelve months on that ship, patrolling off the top of Norway, Iceland & Greenland, with the British Fishing Trawlers during the Cod War. Our home base was Rosyth.  cheers

You were on Fishery Protection duty with Uncle Albert!

When the wind gets up we head for one of the sheltered moorings up the Ant. This is where Uncle Albert comes into his own scanning the water...for what I'm not sure...but on two occasions in the past he's identified a mooring that I would have not considered sheltered but while everyone else was buffeted we suffered hardly a ripple.

One place I would not moor in any circumstance is the BA moorings at Thurne Mouth. Even when the rest of the Broads is like a Mill Pond the 'slap' here is enough to send a sane man round the twist...so for someone like me...?

• Like 4

Fenders banging on the hull is a pain too, many a night I have been on deck lifting them, or changing the rope length.

Mooring under trees, even in the lightest rain can be a real annoyance, big drops falling off the leaves, even hours after the last drop of rain.

I do like the pitter patter of light rain on the roof, especially when you are wrapped up nice and warm and dry.

We have our reg no. and toll plaque on white plastic boards, suspended from the pulpit with cable ties, in the wind, the boards sometimes move backwards, and then vibrates on the supporting tube.

Note to self... must rig something to prevent that...

When heavy weather is forecast, then out comes all the mooring pins, sometimes we have five lines out, from four deck cleats, plus the mud weight.