Any port in a storm?

Matt

I've found Paddy's Lane can be well sheltered from the trees, but the same trees you then hope don't fall on the boat.

If it is the water on the hull being a pain more than the sound of the wind - then a secluded narrow stretch of water with bends so the water simply can't have enough space for the wind to whip up much in the form of wavelets.

I had a night moored just off the Thurne on the dyke leading to Womack Water - I put the mud weight over for a little more security in case the Rhonde Anchors had been pulled from the bank - what got me was the noise in the cabin of the gusts on the pulpit rails they would 'ring' at a certain wind speed where I guess they effectively were vibrating but the sound inside was very odd.

I would head for  Gayes staithe or Neatishead are fairly  sheltered

Beccles also can be good depending on how/where moored

I would avoid the Wherry Hotel moorings at Oulton Broad , and Burgh Castle  as the noise of the water hitting the bows is unbearable

To be honest though on a really wild day , I would prefer any safe mooring , noisy or not over continuing to struggle along

I base this on my trip to the bottom at Somerleyton a few years ago , where instead of taking a safe mooring at the WRC , I insisted in carrying on in a horrendous gale , then after Lorna had the boat all tied up , I started to move her to clear a ladder by a larger margin , and ended up inspecting the antifoul from below !

It was not a stellar moment , but thankfully I was wearing a life jacket which I believe  saved me from becoming a statistic

Alex

• Like 2

I would avoid the Wherry Hotel moorings at Oulton Broad

Agreed, in a storm the wind seems to slam straight in to those moorings, though that said the last time Roya and I took a boat out from Freedom we overnighted there. As darkness fell a real hooley blew in and as we turned in I expected a fitful and sleepless night. I fell asleep to the constant lap lap lap of waves hitting us abeam and we both enjoyed the sleep of the dead.

Agreed, in a storm the wind seems to slam straight in to those moorings, though that said the last time Roya and I took a boat out from Freedom we overnighted there. As darkness fell a real hooley blew in and as we turned in I expected a fitful and sleepless night. I fell asleep to the constant lap lap lap of waves hitting us abeam and we both enjoyed the sleep of the dead.

after all that stella, no wonder you slept lol

• Like 1

We have moored at the Pleasure Boat inn, Hickling, during a few storms, but the problem there, is the sailing club, aluminium masts with halyards... ching ching ching all night...

Then you have the joy of crossing Hickling Broad.

Three feet waves, very common.

• Like 1

We really don't mind a storm on the Broads, we like the ching, chings and the lapping of the water against the hull actually sends me to sleep so that in mind we would probably mud weight on Barton Broad Lol. Seriously, I would imagine you would get some shelter at Cockshoot Dyke at the very back if you can get in

Grace

Chicken! ALL OF YOU. Why not mud weight on Breydon Water, for a taste of what it is really like to be a sailor. : lol:

That will be all of us less Griff and any other Ex RN, Geoff :naughty: I have crossed the North Sea in a hooley, great fun getting to the bar and back!

cheers Iain

• Like 1

That will be all of us less Griff and any other Ex RN, Geoff :naughty: I have crossed the North Sea in a hooley, great fun getting to the bar and back!

cheers Iain

I got my sea legs in 1961 crossing the North Sea on our way to Bergen in a force 10 gale. That was on board a small Blackwood Class frigate of the Fishery Protection Squadron. Spent over twelve months on that ship, patrolling off the top of Norway, Iceland & Greenland, with the British Fishing Trawlers during the Cod War. Our home base was Rosyth.  cheers

I got my sea legs in 1961 crossing the North Sea on our way to Bergen in a force 10 gale. That was on board a small Blackwood Class frigate of the Fishery Protection Squadron. Spent over twelve months on that ship, patrolling off the top of Norway, Iceland & Greenland, with the British Fishing Trawlers during the Cod War. Our home base was Rosyth.   cheers

Gosh that makes Breydon look a bit tame.

Well we have just had two nights of wind! Monday I managed to get down the side of the Staithe at Ranworth, so the bow was nearly into wind, but not in 'open water' if you know what I mean and know that area.... It wasn't too bad at all.... we had another cruiser banging into us on one side which was a tad annoying but apart from that just the cacophony of the wind catching every bit of railing / vent and anything else on the boat! Tuesday afternoon we went up to Wroxham (the actual cruise beings much more exciting than normal!) and moored side on by Hotel Wroxham. So that night we had the rocking, wind cacophony again, but this time with the addition of squeaky lines and fenders! Definatley added another dimesion to our short break!

Well having just got home from a six day cruise. Beccles was very windy. I can confirm that Loddon was a good option although navigating the Chet in gale force winds was interesting. Especially when you have other boats coming at you sideways and swiping your fenders off. Rockland was also great. Very peaceful and crossing the broad was lots of fun with fab waves.

We were aiming for Coldham for night four but it was wwwaaayyy too windy there, surpringly Bramerton Common was very quiet and peaceful as moorings were sheltered by the hill. By the time we got to St Olaves last night the wind was dying but it wasn't too bad either.

Piccy of the waves on Rockland Broad.

post-82-0-04393800-1428088193_thumb.jpg

• Like 2