Rockland st mary

Mandybstorm

We have never been here to moor up. Can anyone advise how big, wide it is? Is it suitable for moonlight shadow 38ft or more suited to smaller boats? Also i believe there are electric posts buthow many? Thinking of heading that way tomorrow if suitable for us.

X

Plenty of room for a 38 footer although manoeuvering can be a bit tight if most of the moorings are occupied. Sorry, no idea about electricity post.

Hi Mandy, i think you might like this?,

Moonlight Shadow moored next to Swallow at Rockland staithe.

post-766-0-36401500-1428433164_thumb.jpg

Karen and i were on Swallow next to MS, and we invited the American lady abord to have a look around. I think it was Sue H?, and she invited us aboard MS to have a look as i was interrested in buying a share, though i ended up buying a share in Lightning.  The leccy post is on the western quay, and Swallow and Moonlight Shadow are moored on the northern quay. The only part that requires careful navigation is the dyke at the entrance to Rockland staithe, but once there, there`s plenty of room.

• Like 2

Just to further add Mandy, The pub is within crawling distance of the mooring (If you get tired obviously) and it's a very very good pub.  

The access from the river is very narrow though so take care if you have limited visibility but it's well worth trying.

enjoy cheers

Hi Mandy,

i forgot to add, if the weather is particularly bad, it`s a very sheltered haven, and with the hook up (if you can get hooked up?), you can stay for a while till the weather breaks. It`s one of our regular overnight moorings when we stay south.

• Like 1

Hi Mandy, i think you might like this?,

Moonlight Shadow moored next to Swallow at Rockland staithe.

attachicon.gif2011_0701variousneilspics0118_(1600_x_1200).jpg

Karen and i were on Swallow next to MS, and we invited the American lady abord to have a look around. I think it was Sue H?, and she invited us aboard MS to have a look as i was interrested in buying a share, though i ended up buying a share in Lightning.  The leccy post is on the western quay, and Swallow and Moonlight Shadow are moored on the northern quay. The only part that requires careful navigation is the dyke at the entrance to Rockland staithe, but once there, there`s plenty of room.

Thank you that is great! The american lady is lisa i think, she also had us on board and plied us with blackberry vodka before we bought the share!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. Waiting for everyone to get out of bed before i 'suggest' where we might head for today! We did head round there once before i think but were unsure of where we were going and got put off by the very narrow looking entrance.

We like the Rockland St Mary's Staithe, you just had to watch out for the moored boats in the dyke, but if Matt says some have gone this is a bonus, just keep the speed down and watch the depth gauge if you have one, the mooring next to the slipway is very shallow, but we have moored there when the staithe was full.

We helped an owner a couple of seasons ago to move his boat from the other side of the slipway to the side of so he could charge his batteries up (they were dead). Once you have a line on a boat you can manoeuver them almost anywhere.

Pity the pub is so far away, you would have thought they could have built in on the staithe side of the road :naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

It's the boats on the right just as the dyke bends slightly to the left near the entrance that have gone.

We moved over into that space to let a hire boat come out of the dyke leaving him a boat and a half's width but he still managed to rub fenders with us. All at very low speed fortunately.

Roy

• Like 1