RNLI

littlesprite

Carol has asked me a question that I couldn't really answer but was sure someone on here could help.

Why do the police, Fire brigade, Ambulance all get paid out of the public purse yet Lifeboat are manned by volunteers and financed by donations, it probably seems like a silly question to some but unfortunately one that I just couldn't answer.

• Like 4

I think it's something to do with the skills required against the probable usage.

Police cars, Ambulances and Fire engines don't sit idle for any great length of time. they're always on the go.

The Coastguard is less used and as a result it has been cut down to a shadow of it's former self.

Lifeboat crews are usually professional boat crews, frequently fishermen and that ilk who volunteer their services when needed.

A full time crew for each lifeboat would cost a fortune. Successive governments (irrespective of party) would cut the service to cover the busy areas only and the lifeboat service would be decimated. (in my opinion.).

Then other commercial decisions would come into play. Two people on a sea going gin palace are in difficulty two other people are in trouble in a home made dinghy. Would salvage value take precedence?

The system we have works, so don't fix it... just give those heroes more donations and if you meet any of them, buy 'em a pint from me!

• Like 6

Hi Peter,

I think you probably correct with your thoughts of government funding. The RNLI is a service like many others should not be cut in any shape or form.

Sadly all we hear from the government and local authorities is the needs for cuts in services, but we never hear of cuts in our payments for these services we no longer have or they have reduced.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Being an ex matelot, the RNLI is one of the charities I support. I think all charities that save lives are worth funding. Of course there are many other similar charities, such as Mountain Rescue, Air Ambulance, which all rely on donations from the public purse. We  donate £10 per month to our local Air Ambulance, which gives you a chance of winning a £1000 in a monthly draw. But you can't support them all, it's a matter of choice, although I always pop a few quid into the box of any life saving charity, if I happen to see them whilst out and about, charities like Guide Dogs, or our local Hospice. They all do a good job and are well worth supporting.

• Like 4

and if you meet any of them, buy 'em a pint from me!

Did that once and it all went horribly wrong, he insisted on buying one back but there were two of us, so we reciprocated and before we knew it we were in rounds with random rnli man, landlord & landlady, kitchen staff, and someone else that we had never met, very messy by the end of it with a mile walk back to the boat.....

I like proper friendly pubs where that happens, that was the decoy tavern at fritton.

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of being too simplistic there are probably three choices in provision of a service, life saving or otherwise:

1. The service user pays

2. Government pays i.e. the taxpayer

3. Charity provides (funded by voluntary contributions and with assistance of volunteer service providers).

So what is the issue?