Stopping boat in a side wind.

aahbarnes

During our recent long weekend in Melody 3 I got into a bit of a pickle and would value some advice as how to avoid this in future.

We were cruising back up to Stalham, approaching Ludham Bridge, when suddenly, for no apparent reason the boat in from went broadside across the river, totally blocking the way. I was a reasonable distance behind, but had to slow down, eventually to a halt. The problem was there was a reasonably strong wide wind which blew our boat into a moored boat and I had some trouble recovering from this. 

Any advice on how to handle this sort of thing? I'm thinking I was too close to the boat in front, but he was blocking the way for a few minutes!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Unfortunately because of the pesky way water behaves things that are floating on it annoyingly tend to move about and as you found out when you came to a stop you were then at the mercy of the wind and any current that may have been running at that point in the river.

In short there is nothing you can do to stop it happening, only counter the effects. 

This is made all the more easy should you have a boat with a bow thrusters because you then have control (and power) at the front of the boat as well as rear.

What I would have done myself is as the boat began to drift – I will presume in this instance to the right – to have actually turned my wheel to the right then given a burst of forward throttle (making my stern move to the left).  Once that was done I could then turn my wheel to the left and go astern – moving my bow away from danger of the boat to my right that I would have been headed toward and cause the entire boat generally to move more to the centre of the river.

You would need to keep making adjustments to throttle and steering to counter the effects of the wind and effectively keep the boat moving back or forward left or right because once you had done the above manoeuvre the wind will be wanting to push you back to the right all the time.

Sometimes though the wind and current can be too much to make the above practical and in such circumstance I would do the above manoeuvre to get the boat away from danger and more to the centre of the river whereupon I could turn the boat around and head back the way I came and at a suitable point turn around again and come back for a second try.

The above of course is my personal take on matters, and very general as things tend to happen rapidly with wind changes and direction as I found recently even on the Bure with enough wind and a high sided boat she will just crab sideways regardless. A lot of opposite steerage and concentration is needed to keep things on course.

Should you find yourself 'pinned to a bank' by the wind never try to leave by turning the wheel away from the bank and going forwards.  You will just drag your stern along the bank and not be able to get away from it.  Instead turn your wheel hard over towards the bank, have a bow line around a post and secure to the cleat on the bow of the boat. 

Go forward (not too much throttle) the bow cannot go anywhere but the stern will now drift out away from the bank.  Once the stern is about 45 degrees to the bank, have your crew release the bow line from the cleat and post then go astern (obviously ensuring the river is clear of traffic).  Once you are away from the bank you can go forward and steer as normal - your stern now well away from risk of being dragged along the bank.

• Like 4

In a situation when you have to power down, where the river is narrow, the wind and/or tide pushing you along then often there is little you can do except try to come alongside the bank/boat as gently as possible.

There will be some boats that will hold steady, there will be some people who can get a boat to sit up and beg, for the rest of us who are trying to steer a Pooh Stick just try to minimise the coming together and avoid damage.

• Like 6

It's this type of situation that teaches you the most.

Do as you have, analyze the event after it has happened. Try the same manouver on a deserted river/broad and see what happens when you try different things.

The key thing in these situations, if you are struggling to control the boat, is to ensure your boat is moving slowly.

I have witnessed many out of control vessels charging about on full throttle creating all sorts of chaos.

• Like 1

Another point to remember if trying to turn around in a strong crosswind - even on a wider section of river - always turn into the wind first. Do it the other way and you may run out of river width to complete the turn, dont be scared of a bit of power, but don't go too fast you lose control. Once past the 90 deg mark the wind will then complete the turn for you (did this wrong once on the Chet - not wide enough to get it too wrong there).

Bow thrusters help, but if you can do the turn without one all the better - and some may not be much help if the wind is that strong - in that case stay in the pub cheers  cheers

The only problem with Robins last suggestion is if your on the South (say Reedham) and the tide is running into your nose. Even with a bow thruster if the wind is that strong it is a pig to get off (I know - been there, tried it, looked a tit). You may have to be brave and go past the 45 deg point. :naughty:  :naughty:  Make sure you have fenders well forward if you can move them. 

As suggested though, have a play on a wide clear bit of river - adds to the fun. My little play I often try is to reverse into the dyke to Rockland from the main river if it's not too busy. Get it wrong and you can normally have another go or if you get fed up trying just go to the middle of the river, turn round and do it the sane way.

Getting it wrong is all part of learning as long as no one is hurt and MY boat isn't damaged it's all good fun.

And anyone tells you they have never got it wrong is a liar or so perfect we should worship them :angel: .

• Like 2

......The key thing in these situations, if you are struggling to control the boat, is to ensure your boat is moving slowly.

I have witnessed many out of control vessels charging about on full throttle creating all sorts of chaos.

I would echo those words.

Most Broads cruisers have high side "windage" and little sideways grip in the water, since shallow draught is required, making skegs and keels unpopular.

As SL has said, far better to gently  "touch" moored craft than scrape along them, so if it looks inevitable, take all of the fore and aft movement off the boat.

Learning the art of handling a boat is a major part of the fun of a broads holiday. The best advice I have to offer is... " Whatever you are trying to do, do it slowly!"

There are several reasons for this, but here's two for starters.

The most obvious is that if it all goes pearshaped, you will do little or no damage to your, or anybody else's boat.

Second reason is less obvious, but more satisfying. You watch an expert... a real expert. They will send a boat jumping through hoops while they sit at the helm looking almost like they're thinking about some TV program they watched last week. No fuss, no bother and usually with the engine at something close to tickover. Honestly, sometimes it's sickening!!! We all watch thinking "I wish I could do that... you smug b******."

So do it all slowly, you do no harm and when it does go right, it looks REALLY impressive.

• Like 2

Wow! Thanks for all the replies, some good advice there. 

I actually ended up turning around

Unfortunately because of the pesky way water behaves things that are floating on it annoyingly tend to move about and as you found out when you came to a stop you were then at the mercy of the wind and any current that may have been running at that point in the river.

In short there is nothing you can do to stop it happening, only counter the effects. 

This is made all the more easy should you have a boat with a bow thrusters because you then have control (and power) at the front of the boat as well as rear.

What I would have done myself is as the boat began to drift – I will presume in this instance to the right – to have actually turned my wheel to the right then given a burst of forward throttle (making my stern move to the left).  Once that was done I could then turn my wheel to the left and go astern – moving my bow away from danger of the boat to my right that I would have been headed toward and cause the entire boat generally to move more to the centre of the river.

You would need to keep making adjustments to throttle and steering to counter the effects of the wind and effectively keep the boat moving back or forward left or right because once you had done the above manoeuvre the wind will be wanting to push you back to the right all the time.

Sometimes though the wind and current can be too much to make the above practical and in such circumstance I would do the above manoeuvre to get the boat away from danger and more to the centre of the river whereupon I could turn the boat around and head back the way I came and at a suitable point turn around again and come back for a second try.

The above of course is my personal take on matters, and very general as things tend to happen rapidly with wind changes and direction as I found recently even on the Bure with enough wind and a high sided boat she will just crab sideways regardless. A lot of opposite steerage and concentration is needed to keep things on course.

Should you find yourself 'pinned to a bank' by the wind never try to leave by turning the wheel away from the bank and going forwards.  You will just drag your stern along the bank and not be able to get away from it.  Instead turn your wheel hard over towards the bank, have a bow line around a post and secure to the cleat on the bow of the boat. 

Go forward (not too much throttle) the bow cannot go anywhere but the stern will now drift out away from the bank.  Once the stern is about 45 degrees to the bank, have your crew release the bow line from the cleat and post then go astern (obviously ensuring the river is clear of traffic).  Once you are away from the bank you can go forward and steer as normal - your stern now well away from risk of being dragged along the bank.

Thanks Robin, I was the guy at St Benet's who forgot your name!

That a good idea, I will look into setting something up when I get home.

In the meantime in our forum sections there is some good advice given by Richardson's in the form of a number of videos regarding boat handling. just click on our links for access.

Just look for this link.

Richardson's First Timers Additional Video

This link will take you to the additional videos aimed at first timmers on The Broads.

There are additional chapters to view (twelve currently)

Regards

Alan