16A shore line wanted

I am pretty certain that most hook ups even one fitted with a 32a socket will still be fused at the lower rating for a 16a socket. It just gives people with the bigger sockets an option to hook up.

Obviously if you want to be fully compliant then Vickings comments should be followed. But if your confident and check things out you should be ok, but as we have sparkies on here I suspect they can give us chapter and verse on this as the experts.

Hi Captain Dread,

1.5mm is the bare minimum, as long as you dont use a lot of high power applications. Please keep your total loading well under 16amp. 1.5mm should never be connected to 32amp. Please make sure ALL the terminals are tight in the plug in ends, its very important.

cheers Iain.

I am pretty certain that most hook ups even one fitted with a 32a socket will still be fused at the lower rating for a 16a socket. It just gives people with the bigger sockets an option to hook up. ...

No sorry, I need to correct you on that one, the 32A sockets are designed for exactly that, as electrically propelled boats need the higher current to charge the huge banks of batteries.

The overload protection is normally provided via breakers, so next time, take a moment to look at the rating plates on the breakers.

Yes Alex agreed, it would be more suitable. Voltage drop on flexibles will also vary pending where the post picks its main power from.

I am not a great believer of handing out advice like electrical cables, but as many of you have power to your boats will know as much about the cabling as I do.

I must try and glean a bit more about shore power when I am down. 16amp for a boat sounds a good bit of power really, as static caravans are mostly 16amp max loading.

cheers Iain.

Also voltage drop will be greater on 1.5 mm2 compared to 2.5 mm2

This is perhaps a fine point but another reason to use the heavier stuff

I quite agree, I use 2.5 mm2 cable, it is also tougher when dragged along the ground, and walked on by passers by, especially when the cable is resting on gravel or concrete.

That's a fair point Ian , we have never needed more than 16A  at any time even with a 2kW heater , immersion heater and a big Victron Charger running

I should not really comment on voltage drop , when you see the length of cable we sometimes use

It is fun to watch people trace it along the mooring and give up halfway though lol

• Like 1

Point taken Viking. And I did say if your comfortable with it. And maybe should have added have other protection etc.

For anyone interested here is a link to a random web site that has a cable size calculator.

http://www.doncastercables.com/technical-help/

1.5mm should well do 16A.

Just to add to my previous point though - and this is what I would do as I feel comfortable with it - I have and would connect my 16a cable to a 32a socket if that's all that was available. But I also know by boat has 2 breakers that would trip well below the point the cable melted. So unless the cable has a direct short between the post and boat it would be fine.

I know this wouldnt pass any electrical tests and to be honest I have only done this once (for a year) because that was all that was available for me at my last mooring. I think the posts were put in well before any leccy boats appeared as well.

I know one boat near me that has a 32a plug and a cable you could hang a train from. But it is a fairline 48 and I suspect some of these type boats could consume a bit of juice. I will try and sneak a peak at the breakers on the post to see what they are.

If you need that much juice though you probably can afford a pucker cable with gold contacts!!!

If in doubt get a local marine electrician to sort you out. As mentioned leccy and water don't play well so dont rely on the earth leakage breaker on the post to save you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have some shore power cables surplus to requirements.

2 x Long (approx 25M) @ £20.00 each

3 x Short (approx 15M) @ £15.00 each

All 2.5mm sq cable and in good condition, mix of Yellow Arctic and Orange cables.

I also have some brand new Male Plugs @ £3.00 each again surplus to requirements.

John.

Hi John,

Not a member of that one I am afraid.

I wonder if a jolly nice Mod could maybe get a message through from you?

Actually, if you are getting the PMs I can put my email address on there for you and you can reply to that?

• Like 1

Thanks Alan.

Do you know if I send a pm to John he can read it? I sent him another one earlier with my email address on it. Hopefully if he gets them he can reply to me.

Will PM you anyway with details anyway just in case he doesn't get it.