16A shore line wanted

Captain Dread,

Never use slightly knackered cables :norty:  You could end up with a totaly knackered boat, or worse, you!

Speeking as a retired spark, for the difference in price it just aint worth it IMO. 

cheers Iain.

I agree with Iain, at some point, your cable will be immersed either in a puddle, wet grass, or even the river, or even handling the cable with damp hands, if there is the slightest break in the insulation then there could be a potential shock hazzard, where with luck, if the earth leakage trip on the electric post is fully functioning, and if wired correctly, then the power should be cut off, before too much electricity flows through the body to earth.

However, on the Broads, I have seen a few risky sockets, that have either been knocked down by a boat, ( Hardley Mill), or had the 16 Amp socket ripped out of the housing.( Sutton Staithe). So take care with 240 volts and water.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

I have to laugh at ALL these colours now. In my younger working days it was black rubber or white pvc. Black&Decker introduced Orange PVC with the early gun type hedge trimmers, the theory being that people would see the orange cable and NOT cut through it.... Aye right.... Not! Still, they kept me gainfully employed  :naughty:

Now we have all the colours of the rainbow. Its still live cable no matter what colour it is, just treat it with respect please. :)

cheers Iain

• Like 2

Its handy to use different colour wiring sometimes - soon after we bought No Worries I thought it'd be useful to have a 12v socket on the dashboard. Opened the handy hatch in the bog to reveal the backside of the console to discover a previous owner was either a football fan or had a big drum of domestic earth cable to use up - it was a symphony of green and yellow! 3 days later upside down with an AVOmeter and two drums of black and red it was looking a bit better. Youve got to love the great British bodger! At least I know all the connectors are sound

• Like 2

Its handy to use different colour wiring sometimes - soon after we bought No Worries I thought it'd be useful to have a 12v socket on the dashboard. Opened the handy hatch in the bog to reveal the backside of the console to discover a previous owner was either a football fan or had a big drum of domestic earth cable to use up - it was a symphony of green and yellow! 3 days later upside down with an AVOmeter and two drums of black and red it was looking a bit better. Youve got to love the great British bodger! At least I know all the connectors are sound

No! not a bodge...

Just down to earth wiring...

I really must apologise about that quote above... it was a "spur" of the moment thing.

Hi Mark,

Oh the tales I could tell about my early apprenticeship electricain days :naughty: ...but I wont :norty:

cheers Iain.

Save it for a slow news day then...

Go on, other than being sent for the tartan paint, what did electrical apprentices have to get?

I was in the weighing industry, and every new guy was sent to the stores for a long weight (wait).

• Like 1

I also served my time as an electrician in the late 70's (but have worked out of the industry longer than I was in )

A couple of things they used to try to get the apprentices to do were

Send us to the Stores for a cap full of nail holes

One guy would get the lads to fit a plug to a clothes iron. Nothing strange there yo might think.......the iron was a shaped piece of wood with a handle and a piece of flex nailed to it........Health & Safety........what Health & Safety.

There was also various tricks that involved the Megga (a piece of test equipment for the uninitiated)

• Like 3

Hello all.

Just to add my 'two-penneth' our caravan electrical lead now and all the others in the past have always been orange.   This is 16V.  Albeit ours is more of a faded yellowy pink!  It has historical value.

SueH

• Like 2

No! not a bodge...

Just down to earth wiring...

I really must apologise about that quote above... it was a "spur" of the moment thing.

I would say bit of a Shocker really :naughty: Once you fit the circuit breaker, everything will "Trip"(fall) into place! :naughty:  I'll get my coat! 

cheers Iain

If a younger apprentice was irking me in the work shop I sent him for a jar of pickled eels feet! The fish shop knew what was going on and he was sent down Ayr high street ending up at my fathers friends old butchers shop where they informed him an eel doesn't have feet! :naughty:

cheers Iain

• Like 1

It is OZGUVEN KABLO ELECTRIC CABLE 300/500 V BS 6004:2012 3183A  3 G 1 ,5 MM2

I've got no idea, got it at the DIY shop in stalham

If it's 1.5mm2 then it's good for 15 or even 16 amps on a good day, in open air, ie not covered or coiled up. However even this spec varies between manufacturers.

Re 32 amp plugs, never use a 32 Amp to 16 Amp adaptor or a 32 Amp plug if you are only using 15 or 16 amp rated cable or 16A rated plugs and sockets.

This is illegal, dangerous and inappropriate.

Any excuse not to pay out in the event of an insurance claim.

The only way it can be achieved is to have a 15 or 16 Amp fuse in the 32A plug to protect the lower rated 16 Amp sockets and cable.

• Like 2