We've been onboard now for nearly two weeks and I'd noticed the engine water temperature gradually getting higher at medium to high revs. This eventually limited us to 1400rpm if the temp wasn't to go above 85degs C. (Nanni expect about 80 degs C).

I checked the two water filters yet again and then replaced the old impeller (which looked OK, after being out all Winter) with a new one...

£30 down the drain!

So on Wednesday, at Oulton Broad Yacht Station I called Peachment for advice,,

"It sounds like the stack" I was told.

Seeing as how they are the official Nanni dealer I asked when they might be able to have a look.

"Tomorrow any time you like and come to our chalet just across the lane from  Peachment's".

So it was up early, again, yesterday and we departed OBYS at 07.30 to make Slack Water at St Olaves/Reedham at 09.15. 1400 rpm usually gives us 5mph in still water and I saw up to 6mph with the Ebb behind us.

We arrived at Reedham at 09.30 but there was little sign of the Flood; so I tied up at the Ferry to wait for it. A beautiful sunny morning and I was soon sat outside with cuppa and bacon butty to await the flood picking up.

By 10.15 the Flood was progressing nicely and off we set for Brundall. We tied up at mid-day and I walked across the chalet drive to Peachments.

Andrew Peachment, the Technical Director, came over himself when Lee, the engineer, couldn't get the stack out because the engine had been installed in front of a bulkhead which prevented its removal. It wasn't possible to cut a bit off the bulkhead out because it would leave a hole in the aft cabin wall (I'll probably fit a small door in there for future use). So the entire manifold had to come off and I'm glad I didn't have to do that!

The stack was over 25% blocked and needed a good clean-out on the outside. Lee just couldn't get rid of the blockages and it looked like a £200++ new stack until Andrew welded a drill-bit onto the end of some brazing rod and himself then drilled them clear with a high speed drill.

About an hour later, with new hoses, O-rings and gaskets she was ready to go. Andrew had pressure tested the whole cooling system and even gave me a new radiator pressure cap! I paid the bill which was a lot smaller than I had dreamt of!  :clap :clap :clap

So this is a big thank you to Andrew Peachment and Lee because the temperature was then a constant 78-80degs C at any revs in the subsequent test!

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

I am so pleased to hear this story about Peachments. I have been on this forum since last autumn, but have not heard their name mentioned, so have hesitated to say anything about them, in technical discussions.

In all the years that I was technical manager for Crown Blue Line, the Peachment family became good friends. We were building around 30 boats a year in Somerleyton and everything mechanical or electrical came from them. We only had to phone them to say we were building another Classique, and their van would arrive with the complete kit, from the steering wheel to the prop shaft, including hydraulic drive, electrics, light fittings - you name it.

We developed things together, such as the hydraulic bow thruster and hydraulic generator, for use with air conditioning. We also solved problems as they arrived, especially on the Nanni 4220 which had problems with overheating. Andrew put an engine on test on the bench, and we found the problem was a constriction in the water injection bend, which was causing a back pressure in the tube stack, and so the blades were stripping off the impellor. Solution was an enlarged opening in the injection bend and an impellor with 10 blades instead of 12.

I can just imagine Andrew out there on the Admiral's boat, solving the problem. I have seen him do it often, sometimes flying out to France to do so!

They know a great deal about electrics and batteries and so if you ever have a problem in that area, give them a ring.

It has been a privilege, over the years, to work with a supplier as dedicated, efficient and knowledgeable as Peachments. I cannot recommend them more highly than that.

Only one thing I would say about the Admiral's problem - the removal and inspection of the heat exchanger tube stack should be a routine check every winter. the Broads are supposed to be fresh water, but you get a build up of calcium deposits all the same. Take it out, take it home and leave it in vinegar or mild acid for a couple of days, and it will be nice and clean. So long as you can gain access, it is quick and easy to remove.

• Like 4