Vintage wine

This one is for Grace.

Just bottled 24 litres of Chateau Riyadh red wine. It took 5 weeks to make - an hour and a half to bottle - and if friends come around, probably 2 weeks to drink. 

I need to find a diffent way to do this. cheers  cheers

• Like 4

This one is for Grace.

Just bottled 24 litres of Chateau Riyadh red wine. It took 5 weeks to make - an hour and a half to bottle - and if friends come around, probably 2 weeks to drink. 

I need to find a diffent way to do this. cheers  cheers

I assume Eric, it all has to be consumed within the confines of your home?

cheers Iain.

I agree with Iain - way too much info!!

Just to add to the wine theme, I am sitting in my home office with the weekends purchases from France next to me - several bottles of champagne. It's the coolest room in the house at the moment (with me here it is super cool  :D ).

How many bottles of champagne do you think I can get through before either the wife finds out or I send a rude e-mail to the boss? cheers  cheers

• Like 2

I assume Eric, it all has to be consumed within the confines of your home? 

cheers Iain.

Yes very strict in Saudi, my son has moved there to work, but will live in Bahrain, and commute daily.

Years ago when we made homemade wine, it could never become vintage, as one lot was bottled, another was set up, mind you, we were using 3x 1 gallon (4.5 litre) demijohns lol.

When wine became more available, with the French booze cruises, it was no longer cost effective to make our own.

I agree with Iain - way too much info!!

Just to add to the wine theme, I am sitting in my home office with the weekends purchases from France next to me - several bottles of champagne. It's the coolest room in the house at the moment (with me here it is super cool  :D ).

How many bottles of champagne do you think I can get through before either the wife finds out or I send a rude e-mail to the boss? cheers  cheers

Hi Mark,

IF it was German Champagne, I would be supping it already lol. I am not a lover of the French grog I regret to say.

cheers Iain.

Iain,

We did make sure we sampled plenty and only bought the ones we really liked.

Maybe you haven't tried enough - that was my excuse anyway. cheers

My Mum used to make homemade wine - my wife consumed rather a lot one evening at a party and I recall her sliding down the wall as it reached her legs!! Potent stuff.

Uncle Albert used to make wine from the vast quantities of fruit and veg from his garden, nearby and not so nearby hedgerows. His wine was known locally among friends and family as Chateauneuf du Gnat. One particular year he decided to make Marrow Rum from the glut of marrows we had grown. Some forty Marrows were hoisted into the loft of the house, each one  with the top sliced off and filled with sugar, then placed down one leg of a pair of tights before being hung from the rafters. They were then left there. As usual with Uncle Albert he forgot all about them...until sometime in February we heard explosions! Poking your head through the loft hatch you needed a strong stomach as the hanging marrow carcasses looked like the work of some deranged serial killer.

Explosions seemed to come naturally to Uncle Albert. Decanting and testing one of his most nasty concoctions, Rhubarb and Raisin wine, with friends, he took a sip from his glass, shuddered and threw the contents on the fireback. The liquid swiftly combusted leaving Uncle Albert wearing black face and everyone and everything in the sitting room with a light dusting of soot. I laughed so hard I got into trouble.

"See if you can make anything better then!" Uncle Albert roared.

Now 11 year old me took this to mean I had permission to tinker. So while Mum and he were out the following day I nipped into Uncle Albert's library and borrowed his wine makers recipe book. Then out to the garden where I dug up several pounds of beetroot, boiled them, threw away the recipe book, added a packet of dried yeast, several pounds of sugar...dispensed with the long boring bit where it said you had to wait several days and strain it... before putting it in a demijohn. I just tipped the mixture into a demijohn and put the lot in the cupboard beside the fire. I put a lot of the books, magazines and button tins etc kept in the cupboard in front of my concoction then, imitating Uncle Albert. I forgot about it for about a year.

A year later, rooting through the cupboard one night, Uncle Albert discovered my demijohn. 'Timothy!' I knew that roar, I was in trouble. I couldn't deny the concoction was mine as I had put a label on the demijohn which read 'Tims bootreet wine better than Dads'.  Mum arrived to see what the fuss was about.

"Better than mine is it? We shall see!" said Uncle Albert taking the stopper out of the demijohn and tried to pour out some of the liquid.

A smell of the finest port wine wafted from the demijohn as a deep red, syrup like substance oozed into a glass. Mum, a port drinker, snatched the glass up before Uncle Albert could reach it.

"Oh my God!" she exclaimed.

"That bad eh?" smirked Uncle Albert.

"No! No, try it!"

It was like 40% proof port and my demijohn of red nectar lasted two years, drunk only on special occasions with a little water added to it. Never been able to duplicate it, no matter how often Uncle Albert got me to talk him through what I did.

• Like 2