What do you use your fresh water tank for?

Baitrunner

I try to keep my water tank full as possible. Having lifted the lid a few years ago and found the areas between water and top had 'sweated' and grown a nice coating of mould.......... Luckily my tank is made to fit under the V berth up front, and has an inspection hatch.

If it's early in the season and I know the tank is clean / water fresh, I'll drink it straight out, but as the season wears on only bottled if I want cold water. Still use the tank for hot drinks / cooking though

To be honest, until this thread came along I hadn't even considered water hygiene or whatever you want to call it. I have never sterilized  my home water tank, let alone any tank on a boat that I have owned, don't think that I'll start worrying now!

• Like 1

We have always sterilised the water systems on all our boats before the first hire.. we have to ensure we don't have unacceptable levels of legionella. Water  filters are changed too not just cleaned like the 'good old days'!

• Like 3

We have always sterilised the water systems on all our boats before the first hire.. we have to ensure we don't have unacceptable levels of legionella. Water  filters are changed too not just cleaned like the 'good old days'!

Two q's please, Clive:

Do you mean you sterilise them at the beginning of each season?

Ditto water filters?

we  use a sterilising powder, mix it in a jug with warm water before putting it in the tank, I would run it through the pipes before the tank was completely full so a higher concentrate was in there...

we do use Milton liquid on some boats as the residues from the powders can cause brief minor issues with valves on some equipment which we could do without.

we usually flush the tanks about 4 times ...