What do you use your fresh water tank for?

Baitrunner

First of all we are hirers.  We use the filtered water for drinking and filling the kettle but for everything else the water is used from the standard tap.  When re-filling I always run some water from the hose and also rinse about the first 12" of the outside of the hose and when rewinding the hose I am very careful not to let the end drag along the ground or fall in the river.  We never use bottled water for anything either in the UK or Northern Europe (never had a problem), elsewhere, in Africa or Asia then we would definitely use bottled water.  I sometimes do wonder why people spend pounds on bottled water when that from the tap is perfectly safe and as somebody else said small amounts of bacteria can build up the immune system.

...  I sometimes do wonder why people spend pounds on bottled water when that from the tap is perfectly safe ...

I agree, it probably is safe straight from the tap, we rarely buy bottled water in the UK, some tap water contains more minerals than others, eg hard water, but the problem is how it is stored, and what is fermenting or growing in the boat water tank before you drink it that concerns me.

We use tank water for everything, like others we wash the first couple of feet of hose before filling. We chuck an aqua tab in when we think of it - maybe every other big fill. No I'll effects yet, I think.

We have a doulton silver impregnated porous ceramic filter, which contains active charcoal to remove any off tastes. We use filtered water for cooking, tea making and teeth cleaning and bottled water for drinking and ice cubes. Unfiltered tank water is used for everything else.

Never had a problem with this arrangement.

cheers

Steve

Our fresh water tank is used for everything! I've only used bottled water while the water system has not been working and that was only so I could get hold of one of the large water bottles. I was brought up on 'council pop' and have never had any side effects. I now use the empty water bottles to fill from the tap in the boatyard as an 'emergency supply' as we go through a hell of a lot of water.

I do however have an allergic reaction to buying bottles of water in a supermarket. Symptoms include, shaking of the head, muttering under the breath, tutting and rapid perambulation away when the other half goes through the motions of deciding 'which bottled water', as though one brand tastes any different from another or indeed from the council variety, to buy. :hardhat:  :naughty:

• Like 4

Once a year potable water tanks should be super chlorinated left for 24 hours after water has been drawn off from every outlet showers included. Then drained and refilled and again drawn through all outlets, drained a final time and then re-filled. Thank god that is over must be the first sensible post I have ever made. :angel:

First of all we are hirers.  We use the filtered water for drinking and filling the kettle but for everything else the water is used from the standard tap.  When re-filling I always run some water from the hose and also rinse about the first 12" of the outside of the hose and when rewinding the hose I am very careful not to let the end drag along the ground or fall in the river.  We never use bottled water for anything either in the UK or Northern Europe (never had a problem), elsewhere, in Africa or Asia then we would definitely use bottled water.  I sometimes do wonder why people spend pounds on bottled water when that from the tap is perfectly safe and as somebody else said small amounts of bacteria can build up the immune system.

Hi Bryan,

We bring Scottish Water purely for making ice (our water being so soft compared to Norfolk water) for the Malt Whisky. Otherwise, like you, use what is there.

cheers Iain

Our fresh water tank is used for everything! I've only used bottled water while the water system has not been working and that was only so I could get hold of one of the large water bottles. I was brought up on 'council pop' and have never had any side effects. I now use the empty water bottles to fill from the tap in the boatyard as an 'emergency supply' as we go through a hell of a lot of water.

I do however have an allergic reaction to buying bottles of water in a supermarket. Symptoms include, shaking of the head, muttering under the breath, tutting and rapid perambulation away when the other half goes through the motions of deciding 'which bottled water', as though one brand tastes any different from another or indeed from the council variety, to buy. :hardhat:  :naughty:

The water in my North Walsham house comes out looking like cloudy lemonade and does not taste as nice as some water I have tasted, but that said it might look and taste bad but it never made me ill!

After further consideration I have advised the butler to only fill the tank with the finest filtered highland spring water topped off with 2 gallons of glen Morangie.

Who gives a xxxt about tea and washing with a tank of that?

Seriously there are lots of good comments in this thread. I am particularly interested in the filter beads now.

The Jabsco Aqua water filter is an efficient and cost effective water filter to have on a boat. Either fit it before the cold tap in the galley or for more protection to the fresh water supply line on the pressure side of the electric water pump.

• Like 1

'B.A' has two s/steel water tanks fitted with a large balancer pipe connected between the two, at the connecting we installed a shut off valve and a fine mesh gauze filter, there is another finer mesh filter next to the pump, this is a serviceable item. other than that there are no other filters in the system.  The total combined capacity is 140 gallon or 630 litres.

We use the stored onboard water for the lot, don't bother boiling it before using it for drinking or owt else for that matter.

We adopt a method of when putting 'B.A' away in her mooring leaving as little water as possible in the tanks - easily achieved by not filling the tanks up the day before or our last day afloat (Water capacity gauge on helm assists us in doing this).  Then when crewing up the tanks are filled to the brim.  Every two years during our bi-annual A.M.P the tanks are drained fully down, then filled with lots of baby sterilisation tablets added (This year purchased from Boots), left for 24 x Hrs then repeatedly flushed out.

We are into our eighth year using this method with no infections or problems to date.

Just to add that during our many years of using hire craft (54 years and counting for me) we never bothered with the 'Boil before use' method either

Our personal inboard Tyke immune systems easily take care of any tank bugs that may / may not be in the system

Griff

• Like 2

We use the stored onboard water for the lot, don't bother boiling it before using it for drinking or owt else for that matter.

We are into our eighth year using this method with no infections or problems to date.

Just to add that during our many years of using hire craft (54 years and counting for me) we never bothered with the 'Boil before use' method either

Our personal inboard Tyke immune systems easily take care of any tank bugs that may / may not be in the system

Griff

You have such a luvverly turn of phrase, Griff!   :clap :clap :clap