When will it ever stop!

Soundings

Which empty houses are these Dave? No, I'm not picking a political debate as I know we are poles apart, but I am curious.

I wonder for example, if the "million or so homes" would make a significant difference to the housing shortage. I further wonder why said homes are empty. Are they "second homes"?

I dwell on the thought that these planned homes might not be the sorts of homes that "two home" owners would be tempted to buy as second homes... not posh enough for example.

The population is expanding from both the birth rate and immigration (I have no set objection to either). As it expands so will the need for housing. I can see no other way to think of that situation.

OK, we can tax second homes, but would that really help? lets face it, we both know that any increased revenue would be most unlikely to be invested in housing (whichever party was in power)

Agreed Soundings, Fair comment, but there must be a demand for houses where these people are wanting to build, else they wouldn't want to build there. What size of houses are they wanting to build? Top-end 5 bedroom places or 1-2 bedroom starter homes?

Are youngsters there in the same sorts of problems as they are here? (Can't afford to get on the housing ladder and a waiting list for rentals)

Why is it that every person in the country, except those who sit on Planning Committees, know how property developers work.?

Apply for permission for a small number of houses and once building has started they apply to add a few more and then a few more until they get to the number they really wanted in the first place.

Close to where I live there was an application for 300+ houses which got turned down. The application was amended to 36 houses - got that one approved.  They are now building in excess of 200 houses......clever

Jeff

• Like 2

Thanks for clarifying your point Dave, and for about the second time this year we find ourselves singing from much the same hymn sheet.

The houses that were sold off for nominal sums I suspect really suffer from being in the wrong place. As you recently pointed out, we have little in the way of manufacturing in this country any more, or at least, far less than we used to have. Whose fault is that?  Well, you and I can scream at each other over a few beers about that one! (but not on this forum).  :) :) :)

The London houses bought for millions by foreign investers, Now, there we are in complete accord. 

If a house is not lived in, (for say a rolling period of 12 months)

not available to be lived in

not for sale or rent,

but is in a fit state to be lived in...

Then tax it to the hilt !

• Like 2

Badger Builders also have the old Pegasus Boatyard site at Oulton Broad. It is an outright eyesore at present, with ambitious plans passed for saturation apartments.

Norfolk needs housing for its youngsters, but those youngsters need viable jobs in order to buy those houses. Once built I doubt that many, if any, of these new Rollesby houses will be bought by young locals.

• Like 2

When we were down in Morecambe last week on a streatch of road there must have been 100 flats laying empty, in one street. Also, remembering that you have the University of Lancaster close by, I can only assume its speculators there. 

If these buildings were allowed to be brought up to today's living standards, think of the work it would give to the service industry upgrading them IMHO. 

cheers Iain.

It's fun to remember that your house was once on green and pleasant land somewhere and that bit of land was liked by someone.

A bit like, where I live, in Maidstone, a house holder complained that the new MacDonald drive through was an eyesore to those living in Maidstone Heights.

Then it was pointed out that where the house holder lived, an historic pub was demolished and the locals complained that her block was an eyesore.

Or we could use the law to take over empty properties.

Better still, is everyone's property fully occupied who is reading this?

No spare rooms?

We could force you to live in a smaller property..........

Your right! But the point was missed.

I was pointing out the fundamental fault with most of our arguments.

We already have a place and now we are telling others they can't.

Or at least not there but over there.

You can skim over the top of the argument if you like but single parents are a huge load on the housing problem and divorced couples are too.

a Tale.

Massive traffic jam on the A2 caused by people going to Bluewater a big shopping zone.

Man asked "What's causing the hold up?"

Me "People going shopping"

Him "disgusting"

Me "Where are you going?"

Him "Only shopping"

Edited by Cheesey

Just to go back to the original post, does anyone know if Brooms are still pursuing their plans to develop the waterside site in Brundall and move the factory up the hill? That will be an interesting one!

I understand where your coming from Cheesey as I have been one of those who has complained about building on greenfied when years gone by my house was built on an orchard (well before I owned it though). If you go back a few centuries then all houses would have been built on greenfield sites. The point is at some time there isn't much left to build on if we want to keep some green.

Also their is the point about vacant properties and I certainly see plenty of those around, but wonder who could afford some of them.

And plenty of brownfield sites within or on the edge of town/city/village boundaries could be built on. maybe they just aren't big enough for a big developer to make a killing?

Maybe a leaf out some European countries books (and I hate to agree with them) that renting is often accepted for all of ones life because property ownership is prohibitively expensive - they just need better landlords and better protection and reasonably priced rentals - but then that has to go both ways as there are plenty of dodgy tenants as well as dodgy landlords out there.

I have to say I think the worst thing that ever happened in this country was the wholesale selling off of Council houses - it just opened the market for landlords to make a killing.

ps. Why do planning officers still reject applications for single properties on someones land - as in the good old garden divide? I have seen lots of these kicked out which would provide a nice pension pot for the people who own the property, but they are happier to see a developer make millions building on a field.

OK back off the podium now - sorry!! I tried not to get involved in this as I have very strong opinions on it. :bow  :bow  :bow

• Like 3

Why is it that when there is somebody who's main aim is to help the community they always get kick backs.

By the replies to this post it seems that people have only read part of the proposal.

Here we have a generous developer offering to help build Broadland into the countries top tourist area, with great public transport access.

Let me "BUILD 10 AND GET A BUS STOP FREE!!!!!"

Allow him to carry on and Broadland could have a Bus Stop on every corner.

"Badger Builders also have the old Pegasus Boatyard site at Oulton Broad. It is an outright eyesore at present, with ambitious plans passed for saturation apartments."

Oulton Broad must be crying out for more Bus Stops, DON"T LOOSE THE OPPORTUNITY.

If Broadland does not like this offer I bet Boris Johnson would love it in London.

The problem isnt the free bus stop it's who pays for the busses?

My village is getting developed and at the last council meeting we are tagged as having prime services. A doctors that 10yrs ago I could get an appointment the next day now it's 2 weeks. A school that now needs extending at great cost due to the influx of kids (ok they have to go to a school somewhere) a main road and access road that gets congested, parking all over the place because they don't allow enough parking spaces in a rural location and we have a great bus service. As long as you work 9-5, in the next town. If you want to go to norwich for work or pleasure the direct bus goes once a day and comes back - an hour later! Failing that you have to change several times so ideal if you can work 11-3.

The local developer paid s lot in - let's call them bribes, because only Fifa and the local council don't) and so far I haven't seen any improvements.

I agree we have to accept change, but I really have issues with how some of these developments are represented to existing residents.

Sorry back off the soap box!!!

• Like 3

if every piece of spare land had houses built on it would there then be no housing problem ?

I don't believe so.

we cant support the housing we do have with roads water power jobs not to mention

the dire problems our medical support systems are having already.

• Like 2

if every piece of spare land had houses built on it would there then be no housing problem ?

I don't believe so.

we cant support the housing we do have with roads water power jobs not to mention

the dire problems our medical support systems are having already.

The Pegasus development at Oulton Broad is testament to the roads problem. We are heading for an increase of over 100 cars on a road that is stretched beyond a reasonable level already.

• Like 1

I don't know how old this is ...

http://www.waveney.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=117&categoryID=200140&pageNumber=8

I know there has been nothing done at oswalds for a long time.

another 100 homes and cars on an already very overloaded road.

there was talk of another road crossing possibility for lake lothing

on the news tonight.

they were also saying that the drop in the oil price is

have a very bad effect on the oil firms in Lowestoft.