Why join?

Labrador

Just been trolling through the members list and I'm really surprised at the number of members there are, going back to about 2010 in some cases, who have never made a single post. Why join if you're not going to post?

Some people just like to view what is happening on the Broads, before I became more involved in this forum I used to go on all three major forums before I visited the Broads to check, what pubs were open or closed, any closures or restrictions or Broads Authority news etc.

Any forum is only as good as the advice it gives in its information pages, friendy debate, shared advice from its members.

Regards

Alan

• Like 6

Thought for the day :-

There are far more people that read books than write them, so why should a forum be any different.

I think we should take satisfaction that there are many hundreds of people reading these forums and they find the information invaluable. So unless they have a particular question in mind, then they are quite happy trawling through all the valuable information that this site has to offer.

There are not many questions left to answer about the Broads, ( but we still ask them lol) but I love the enthusiasm of most of the posters, who take great delight in explaining many times to many new people and never seem to tire of it.

So... What makes this site '"A Great Site" ?

It's members.

• Like 11

As far as I am aware this has always been the case, but I am still fairly new at this with only a few years under my belt.

I noticed that a forum member was looking at various topics yesterday who had not posted at since his membership in 2008.

Every day we have to check out if any members validating membership, guests are allowed very basic rights to view certain forums, once we have validated their membership they can post in the general pubic forums.

Yesterday alone I deleted over 30 potential members that were spammers that were caught be our spammer catching software and mod intervention.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Alan,

30 in 1 day. WOW - that must keep you guys busy. It's funny, but in the last 5 minutes, I got a call on my house extension in a compound from a guy trying to sell me financial services. I will endeavour to find out how he got my number, but needless to say, he was told bye bye.

Hi Eric,

Both at home and at work I get all the nuisance calls.

I slipped up last week I had yet another of the calls regarding deafness in industry, both Tan & I had made up our minds when getting the next one of these calls was to ask them if they could speak up :naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Alan,

30 in 1 day. WOW - that must keep you guys busy. It's funny, but in the last 5 minutes, I got a call on my house extension in a compound from a guy trying to sell me financial services. I will endeavour to find out how he got my number, but needless to say, he was told bye bye.

What you meant was Eric...oan yer bike pal ! :naughty:

cheers Iain

• Like 1

I had the deafness lady phone me up the other day

Strung her along for about 15 minutes then told her my industry medical every 2 years includes a comprehensive test and at the last one I was fine.

She hung up

Very unsporting I thought

cheers

Ray & Carole

• Like 1

Back to the original O/P ,

I joined in 2008 and read the forum every day but do not post regularly and I for one feel a bit miffed about the 50 posts and you’re in rule.

I only post if I have something of interest to add to the posting and I am not one of the prolific posters so until the rule is altered I remain outside the tent looking in 

• Like 2

Santed, Hi.

When you joined in '08 you may probably have read Brian's (one of the originators of the NBN) post which even then said:

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:41 PM
Full Membership

make 50 Sensible posts that have made a contribution, either amusing or informative.

then the mods will post your proposer and seconder thread in the full members area.

You will be proposed then seconded by existing full members.

if there are no objections then you will be made up to a full member and gain access to the members sections as well

as the sections you can see now.

So it's not a new rule that we have inflicted upon the Membership.

If you were able to go back a few years (in the Full Members section) you'd find in a topic that we had a poll on just this subject...

A large majority (92%) voted for just that.