Wanna houseboat project?

JennyMorgan

Have you read the T&C of sale?

You are not allowed on board anything floating to properly view it. You're not allows to lift anything either.

If you buy something on the water, it must be tolled. (Hold on, the BA must have tolled it anyway for it to be on the water in the first place......)

I thought the BA wouldn't allow things of more than 46 ish feet..... So are these 100ft lighters guaranteed to be removed from the rivers? 

Not terribly enticing

(why did they need all those grit buckets?)

So, they're selling two knackered 100ft Thames barges that you're not allowed to look at.

Sounds like a gas axe and a scrap man is the best option.

Hear! Hear! Andy........ what a disgusting load of old scrap...........   two guns 

AND you have to remove them within TWO weeks....  "Lost" and "Plot" come to mind....... :cry

So, they're selling two knackered 100ft Thames barges that you're not allowed to look at.

Sounds like a gas axe and a scrap man is the best option.

I rather suspect that that will be the fate of most of what's on offer. The last time they had a big clean up, when they took over from May Gurney, they sold off stuff that subsequently was required for repair jobs to their dredgers. They also sold off one of the MG tugs, the purchaser of which made rather more than a bob or two. Considering the past I hope that more thought has gone into this sell off so I don't blame them for their caution, especially in regard to liability,

What does worry me is the grit bins, why on earth did they buy them in the first place if they were not to be used, as it appears that they haven't been.

John, setting a time limit is not uncommon. Two weeks might be a bit tight in the case of the barges but without such a limit stuff does tend to be forgotten by purchasers for one reason or another. Personally I see this as a reasonable condition of purchase and if potential purchasers can't accept that limit then they shouldn't put in a tender.

Just a thought, if anyone actually wants a 100' barge, then ask the BA for a condition report. However, unless you have a suitable mooring immediately available then I foresee problems. No way can I see the BA sanctioning these barges being moored at Riverside as houseboats! If they are to be cut up then where? I wonder what the potential scrap value is? 

Just a thought, if anyone actually wants a 100' barge, then ask the BA for a condition report. However, unless you have a suitable mooring immediately available then I foresee problems. No way can I see the BA sanctioning these barges being moored at Riverside as houseboats! If they are to be cut up then where? I wonder what the potential scrap value is? 

scrap is low at the mo, around £40 per ton