Any advice re steel project boat

Another new project boat,it really must be the last! Just can't help myself.

This time around its a biggie. 11 metre steel yacht,fin keel,draft of just under 2 metres(too big for the broads?) and 3 metre beam.

Quite a lot of work to do,some/most of the deck plating and cockpit need replacing. A few minor jobs to do on the 1.8 Perkins diesel and a lot general tidying up/refitting/painting etc. overall weight is about 5.5 tonnes inc 3 of lead ballast.

Any advice from other steel boat owners regarding paint systems would be much appreciated. As would any advice on steel boats in general. Thanks

Dont own a steel boat but I do a lot of commercial vessel surveys.

Find a surveyor who knows steel boats

Ultrasonic thickness measurement of all plating if this has not been done recently.

A good surveyor experienced with steel boats would do this automatically.

After the survey decide if the cost of steel renewal (unusual if none required) is reflected in the asking price, if not renegotiate or walk away

Hope thats not too negative

cheers

Ray

From what I've read elsewhere there seems to be 2 very differing sets of opinions(as with most things in life). Some love steel boats,some think they are the work of the devil. I'm very open minded and haven't really formed an opinion yet.

I know the boat in question was built and equipped for round the world cruising and the price was very attractive. Time will tell I suppose

• Like 1

Steel vessels are great as long as they are maintained properly

I would still suggest you get a full ultrasonic thickness survey done.

When I inspect vessels if there is no thickness survey done within last 5 years then it gets marked down as a non conformity however as I only do commercial vessels the vessels classification society require this as part of their standard requirements.

Steel replacement can be very expensive

Once again apologies for negative comments

cheers

Ray

Sorry no idea there

I just put it down on the report findings and owner has to pay bit different for an offshore support vessel

But guess

Cranage out , hold in slings, prob about 4 hours to do the readings about the same as a normal survey I would guess, if you can find a surveyor with the equipment locally so probably not a horrendous price, but will give you peace of mind or an indication of a large bill

Once again apologies for negative comments

cheers

Ray

on a narrowboat thickness checks are usually done as part of a full survey, though it is also quite common for more serious owners to have an ultrasonic tester, a bit like a damp meter for caravanners.

Decent testers start at around £150, cheaper stuff is, as always, available from China.

• Like 1

Hi Glenn,

I have just checked our list of marine surveyors and a good proportion of them offer ultrasonic hull testing.

Have a look at the list on the following link:-

http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/forum/196-marine-surveyors/

I would also checkout forums that deal with hull maintenance on Narrow Boats and barges for tips on preparation (such as shot blasting and special coatings) prior to painting on steel hulled boats.

Regards

Alan

The only offering I have that may be of use, should you find you have a decent hull to paint (and we all hope that is the case), then make sure you use an etch primer on all bare metal before moving on to whatever paint system you opt for.

Paint will not stick to metal. It will stick to etch primer though and etch primers have an acid content that literally etches into the metal surface and grips. No etch and your nice new shiny paint could be left on the quayside, your fenders, flaking off as you travel along, you get the idea.

Oh yes, my very best wishes for your project. There are lots of old boats still around purely because someone just went for it one day. Not everything in life needs to be ruled by your head or wallet.... :hardhat:

After all, there are some that spend money to buy copious amounts of 'bait' and then just throw it in the water. At least you have something to look at for your hard earned wedge whether it ends up a boat or an ornament  :naughty:

I jest of course....

• Like 3

I have a steel narrowboat and the hull is routinely painted (every two to three years) with black bitumen below and on the waterline. The trend these days is to paint the hull with two pac as it is hard and is said to last for several years. I do not use any traditional anti-foul.

Topsides any good paint system will work. I have used many of the boat faves like International Top Lac but now use good old Weathershied and its related undercoat. Bare steel does need to be primed with an appropriate primer.

• Like 1