Wroxham Bridge bash

RayandCarole

Bill, Hi.

We found this out a couple of years ago when the level had risen to 6ft 3ins on the board during the two days we were up at Coltishall Common and Horstead.

I gritted my teeth and followed a piloted Alpha 35 through:

"If he can make it we should too, Darling"...

(We made it but I'd not do it again regardless of the time we might have to waste. My gosh, it was very close).   :shocked

Never quite sure why the pilot at Wroxham doesn't take private boats through, the one at Potter always has. Mind you most hire yards will allow private craft to moor providing you ask first and I've never been asked for a charge. On the other hand Faircraft Loynes is the one yard that steadfastly refuses to allow private boats to moor. Have even rung and offered to pay in the past and they are just not interested in letting private boats in.

Come South of Gt Yarmouth, far less bridge aggro. Other than Geldeston, St Olaves, Haddiscoe & Beccles those down South open, generally, to let folk though! There is even an alternative route if you want to avoid St Olaves, all very considerate, but far less entertaining for bridge watchers.

• Like 1

...There is even an alternative route if you want to avoid St Olaves, all very considerate, but far less entertaining for bridge watchers.

There are in fact two alternate routes to avoid St Olaves... the other one, Out through Great Yarmouth, and back in through Oulton Broad lock.

Clearly only suitable for the right type of boat and a crew with the right experience lol...

"Never quite sure why the pilot at Wroxham doesn't take private boats through"

I was told that it was purely an Insurance matter. (Info from the ex-manager)

A privateer could claim at a later date that the damage was caused by the pilot and not seen at the alleged time. 

As if..........

John, I know the feeling well! Clenched buttocks and all that. The first time is the worst.(as they say :naughty: )

Just got to get the timings right to take our new job through.........

I might add that Strowies bridge photo's and measurements were a great help!

Edited by BuffaloBill

how would you feel, if i were to follow you everywhere  you go, photographing and filming your every move, and posting EVERY little mistake you, and all others like you, make, and post it all on here, and leaving you open for public ridicule.

You'd need a lot of film if you were to follow my lot for a week. Public ridicule is not an issue though, they are used to it!

• Like 3

Well not a lot to report today had to wizz back home today for Caroles medical appointment, now back in Wroxham, very quiet, pouring down with rain, and still hire boats going through without pilots.

Our Last night tonight then home hopefully but back to Brundall After Caroles doctors appointment for the bank holiday weekend to continue the upgrade of Tangara

its been an interesting and enjoyable week and can recommend Cordon Rouge apartment 12

cheers

Ray & Carole

• Like 3

To say that I don't understand some folk would be an understatement! Was at the sailing club at Oulton Broad supping and watching the racing when one of Herbert Wood's finest came down the right hand shore in the recommended manner. Problem being that it was low water and the hirer had no reason to suspect that the water is as shallow as it is alongside the Park. Sure enough he came to a sudden stop as he hit bottom. Amazingly, and unbelievably, he didn't try and reverse off, quite the opposite in fact, he opened up in an effort to go forward, simply pushing himself further onto the obstruction. Because he was trying to avoid the racing fleet a club officer called up a rescue boat to haul the hireboat away from the obstruction, which duly happened, after a bit of a struggle. Blow me, within seconds of being towed off backwards the hireboat opens up and promptly heads off in the same direction and back onto the putty. Yes, there was a loud cheer from the watching ghouls but how silly can a man be? After being pulled off for the second time the rescue boat pulled the bow round so the hireboat was facing open water and safety.

At about the same time a private boat, a twin screw coastal type, approached the racing fleet. Could so easily have throttled back & let the line of boats go ahead of him, or turned slightly to his left and easily passed astern of the sailing boats, but no, opens up both engines, not far off being on the plane, and barges through between two boats. Ill mannered at least, pig ignorant more like and thoroughly unsporting.  Can only guess that it was pointless and unnecessary 'river rage'. 

• Like 1