Wroxham Bridge bash

RayandCarole

If the hire companies got rid of the CDW and had a security deposit instead, then they would all use the pilot, then where would the entertainment value be then?

I watch the Barnes Brinkcraft camera quite regularly, pity there is no sound lol....

You lot are so unkind, we wouldn't dream of sitting at the hotel gongoozling would we Alan (Ranworthbreeze) and we certainly wouldn't laugh :liarlol, can you imagine how embarrassed they must be, to be honest my dad and husband have taken Boats through without incident but since it's been a rule to use the Pilot, we do (thank goodness) don't have to hide in the cabin so much :rolleyes: Ray, please don't get a life, I'm loving this ;)

Grace

• Like 2

Hi Grace,

I am nor evil honest, but I have had the odd chuckle whilst sat outside the Hotel Wroxham watching the activities at the bridge.:naughty:

Joking apart, boats that are damaged can be repaired; far too many people have been seriously  injured trying to save a rod or something else on a boats roof. When going through bridges keep within the confines of the boat.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Potter yesterday afternoon.   Houston we have a problem.   I have put in two photos but they have come out loads of times.    I only posted three and the third one I deleted by the little dustbin sign.      I added them to the post with the plus sign.    Please ignore all the duplicates but I only wanted to post the approach and when it was reversing out of the bridge.

bridge.thumb.jpg.44dc0525cec898234c44d5bbridge_(2).thumb.jpg.ae00b69d1f69782a171bridge_(2).thumb.jpg.ae00b69d1f69782a171bridge_(2).thumb.jpg.ae00b69d1f69782a171bridge_(2).thumb.jpg.ae00b69d1f69782a171bridge_(2).thumb.jpg.ae00b69d1f69782a171bridge_(2).thumb.jpg.ae00b69d1f69782a171bridge_(2).thumb.jpg.ae00b69d1f69782a171bridge_(3).thumb.jpg.99b828b570fb94b525abridge_(2).thumb.jpg.ae00b69d1f69782a171

Lost count of the number of hire boats not stopping to pick up the pilot, I know some yards do not require it but the ones not bothering were a fair mix from all yards

cheers

Ray

I think that's the problem - to be honest I can't remember if the yards we have hired from have told us we have to use the pilot. Maybe they're all too busy trying to make sure we understand about crossing Breydon Water to remember to point this out!!

The CDW from most hire operators will not cover damage caused by Negligence. Clearly, ignoring instructions to use the Bridge Pilot is negligent. 

Freedom will not cover any loss or damage to the roof of the boat as, in our own words "you should have seen it coming". 

Sandfly that was trapped under Beccles Bridge earlier this week has been significantly damaged now

I am told that the Faircraft boat stuck under Vauxhall Bridge a few weeks back also caused significant injuries to the skipper. 

A few years back, there was a holiday maker airlifted from an incident under Wroxham Brigde when he nipped up to collect a tackle box or something from the roof and got dragged under the bridge as the boat went through. 

As a point of legality, all hire boats must display their air draft in clear view of the helm. Failure to do so is non-compliance with the operating license. The handover should bring this to the crew's attention. There are few valid excuses for damage like this.

The greatest problem is people not caring and not taking responsibility for their actions. 

• Like 9

I have to say that I am not keen on the CDW and feel it leads to a couldn't care less attitude. I have also read on here a few times that negligence isn't covered by the CDW, so how many hirers have actually been presented with and paid a bill for damage caused by negligence? Call me cynical but there seems to be quite a staunch defence of the CDW at times. Is this because it is a system that works? or a system that makes extra profit taken as a whole over the course of a season?

As well as the height gauge by the helm, isn't there normally a sign saying if the pilot is needed at a bridge, and which bridges? I know every boat I've hired in the past had this. So presumably the people going through without pilots have managed to miss the sign by the helm? the mention of it in the skippers handbook and possibly a mention of it during the handover. So you have paid your CDW and you approach Wroxham and you see the bridge. You are feeling fairly confident at handling the boat after a few days and the bridge doesn't look to difficult. Do you pay for the pilot? or go through yourself, after all you have already paid the CDW which you won't get back. I wonder how much that decision process would be altered if there was a £500 security deposit at risk?

• Like 6

The handover should bring this to the crew's attention. There are few valid excuses for damage like this.

Out of curiousity Andy, what then was the excuse for the Beccles bridge incident from the hirers?

There have been so many incidents this year that something is going wrong somewhere. I very much

doubt that they would treat their own car in such a manner!

• Like 1

I like the 500 pound idea . Only problem is when I first started cruising 500 pound security deposit would have left me high and dry . Is it really any more of problem than in times gone by .  I really don't think it's any worse , Social media cctv and cameras just  keeps us better  informed. When you higher a car you sign to say no scratches etc . If you bring it back scratched you pay . Only problem with is you moor up go for a walk come back and a inexperienced sailor hit you no witness . Who pays for it ? . Complicated issue with no right or wrong way to deal with it.

we all pay for the few ;) such as life 

There was a thread on this forum recently about people using go pro cameras (or whatever these intrusive things are called?) and mega phones to higlight and make public when people make mistakes.  Now it seems theres people on this very thread only to keen to sit at a pc waiting for someone to make a mistake, then publicly announce it, and try and in some perverse way, humiliate them. I really do wonder whether some people have such sad lives, that have NOTHING BETTER TO DO?.

Whatever they`ve done wrong, or by mistake, if it`s not hurting you, don`t bleet on about it, and mind your own buisness. I certainly DON`T want to have all the threads on this forum regarding what others, who as it happens are not even able to defend themselves, as they`re obviously NOT forum members mistakes, or innocent errors of judgement being publicly dealt with via a one man judge and jury.

My last point is, if by chance i see you on the rivers at some time, how would you feel, if i were to follow you everywhere  you go, photographing and filming your every move, and posting EVERY little mistake you, and all others like you, make, and post it all on here, and leaving you open for public ridicule.

Rant over.

• Like 4

I can only assume that there are a hellova lot of first timers booked this year for all these incidents to have happened? Or more than likely as has been said on other threads social media is to the fore, and is missing nowt!

cheersIain.

• Like 1

Another common theme this year has been the idea that there is no actual increase in such incidents and that it is the forums and social media bringing these incidents to the fore. I would counter that with the fact that Facebook has been around for some time, the NBF for over ten years and this forum for around 8 I think?

However this next paragraph is taken direct from the horse's mouth so to speak, Minutes of The Boating Safety Management Group 20th March 2015.

"It had become apparent during the Breydon User Group meeting that the number of groundings recorded on the Authority's Incident and Safety logs were lower than actual grounding as recoveries undertaken by John Cressey had not been included and therefore a further 20 groundings should be added during this period. It was noted that the number of groundings had increased despite better signage being in place and more emphasis on handovers and in Broadcaster. People were also not taking into account advice on bridge heights despite information being available on the Authority's Better Boating DVD, website and Broadcaster"

Yes social media is reporting these incidents quicker, but I'm not alone in thinking they ARE on the increase. Be interesting to see the minutes of the next meeting due sometime late September. I believe the BSMG only meet every 6 months, so the next meeting should cover a very interesting period!!!!

• Like 2

Neil, I totally agree with you about bullying and ridicule, I was bullied in my early teenage years by other girls, I am as far away as you will ever get from being one.

These Boats have gone through the Bridge without using a Pilot, no innocent error of judgement, most hire boats display on a plaque at the helm that boats must not go through bridges without using a Pilot, for whatever reason, be it saving the twelve quid or the "I don't need a Pilot" attitude, the Boats are not their property and should be treated with respect and as if it was. If you are going to blatantly flout the rules, in my opinion you have to deal with the consequences

Grace

• Like 4

Out of curiousity Andy, what then was the excuse for the Beccles bridge incident from the hirers?

There have been so many incidents this year that something is going wrong somewhere. I very much

doubt that they would treat their own car in such a manner!

Evidently the helm misread the height guage. Mistook the figure 6 for an 8.

The boat was severely damaged. may not be repaired in time for the rest of the season.

Just a thought,  

The rise in staycation and increased advertising for the broads  have resulted in increase bookings for the hire companies.  Many,  if not most,  will be first time visitors. 

An increase in novices will lead to an increase of incidents.  

Regards

Mark 

Edited by psychicsurveyor
loss of signature
  • Like 2