Meeting with Broads Beat Tomorrow

Wildfuzz

Environment Agency are responsible for the checking of rod licenses not broads beat ,

had mine checked last year by a  pleasant chap from the EA he was being chauffeured

around  by a BA ranger.

Edited by imtamping2

Yes please.  We are coming towards the end of the season, and expect the outboard/chartplotter thieves will be back in town.  Boats will be left unattended for longer periods of time.

It would be great to have some advice on alarm systems, trackers, cameras etc.  I know Bernie cannot recommend specific manufacturers, but some examples would be really useful i.e. PIR sensors, GSM notification, fob/code activation/deativation, self-powered or wired to batteries, tracking by GPS, alarms which will not go off when wobbled (wash etc).  If notification by GSM, what happens when the signal is weak, like most of the Broads area, and so on.

Are there basic/standard/generic rules which apply for insurance?

Not much then :)

• Like 1

on the subject of fishing (something I dont do by the way) who would be responsible for dealing with the huge number of hirers I see fishing from the back of their cruiser whilst motoring along? I believe this is a no no?

That would be the BA as it is a bylaw apparently only applicable on the Broads and not other waterways.  

I think it would nice to find out a bit about them. The BB appeared to appear recently as I don't remember when we was originally hiring up there, I always believe the rangers were the boys in blue. In all honestly I've never seen BB on the river so it would be good to find out what they do and obviously it would be nice to see them about certainly down south. Maybe we can see if they can stop off at one of the meets so we can met them and find out more. Perhaps you could ask if thats posible Stuart?

Obviously I'm sure they are very busy and I'm sure they do a bloody good job considering the poor funding they probably get. cheers 

• Like 1

I have recently read an article in Angling Times stating that EA have come to an arrangement with the Police for them(the police)  to check licenses. Until I read this I thought it was just the E A who checked them. Perhaps Wild Fuzz could clarify this.

A very productive meeting, I will try and answer some of your queries.

With regards to marine crimes, we have only had 6 reported crimes across Norfolk and Suffolk in the last month, these are all "minor" and seem to be opportunist and not the organized crime we saw earlier in the season. There is a case file being prepared and a court case pending regarding this.

There have been 315 rod license checks carried out by the environment agency, there were 42 offence notices issues and 5 court cases resulting in £2435 issued in fines and court costs. this shows a 13.5% evasion rate compares to 8% on lakes. Interestingly a high proportion of the offenders on the Broads had previously help licenses, so it is not all down to first time fishing holidaymakers.........

With regards to security advice, a new scheme called Boat shield is being launched shortly in conjunction with Suffolk constabulary, this will answer many of you questions and just awaiting the final approval, should be out by the end of this season and with vengeance for next.

I am unable to recommend any particular products to the public for obvious reasons however do look for Thatchem approved products or the Sold secure website.

On a personal note I have a tracker fitted from Ninja tracker, worth a look. Other suppliers are available.........

The Broads beat team are working hard, they cover the whole Broads system and all the related crimes, welfare antisocial behavior issues, crime prevention, safety, speeding , stag and hen parties, public events plus anything else that comes along. There are only two officers to do this, they are obliged to work shifts to cover busy periods, and by protocols can only take the boat out when both on the same shift, so sadly patrol time is limited for this reason.

I will formulate a potted history of broads beat for your perusal.

Hope this is of interest.

Stuart

• Like 11

From a time believed to have been in the 1820s and certainly well before the current Broads Beat team were established, Norfolk Constabulary has policed the Broads waterways with officers performing regular patrols on the rivers and Broads as an intrinsic part of their operational duties.

However, in the mid 1980’s the river patrols were disbanded when the boats and boating equipment needed to be replaced and the funds were just not available as more and more of the policing budget was spent on new police cars and the Broads patrol officers were needed to be deployed for other operational duties elsewhere in the county.

However, residents and local businesses missed the police presence and reassurance on the rivers and Broads and asked for the Police to reintroduce the river patrols.

This support and enthusiasm from the community eventually led to a partnership approach being developed between Norfolk Constabulary, the Broads Authority and numerous local businesses, in order to find new ways to re-instate the Broads based policing team.

In 1995, an innovative sponsorship deal was struck between Norfolk Constabulary, the Broads Authority and local businesses, making funds available to put officers back onto the Broads during the peak season, i.e. April to October, leading to the birth of the Broads Beat Team as we know them today.

They are now the UK’s longest running Police and public sponsorship scheme and we have many other organisations nationwide looking at Broads Beat for best practice and guidance on how to start similar schemes.

Initially officers either borrowed a Broads Authority launch or went out on joint patrol with the Broads Authority Rangers, however they found this to be quite restrictive and they were unable to properly carry out their duties to suit operational needs.

When the Diving Unit were disbanded their rigid hulled inflatable boat (Rhib) was donated to the Broads Beat Team, who have used and maintained this vessel to date.

The current team has one full time officer, one part time officer (operating in the summer season), and a Reserve with two Pcso’s and two Special Constables, led by a Sergeant and an Inspector.

http://www.norfolk.police.uk/safetyadvice/broadsbeat

• Like 5

From a time believed to have been in the 1820s and certainly well before the current Broads Beat team were established, Norfolk Constabulary has policed the Broads waterways with officers performing regular patrols on the rivers and Broads as an intrinsic part of their operational duties.

However, in the mid 1980’s the river patrols were disbanded when the boats and boating equipment needed to be replaced and the funds were just not available as more and more of the policing budget was spent on new police cars and the Broads patrol officers were needed to be deployed for other operational duties elsewhere in the county.

However, residents and local businesses missed the police presence and reassurance on the rivers and Broads and asked for the Police to reintroduce the river patrols.

This support and enthusiasm from the community eventually led to a partnership approach being developed between Norfolk Constabulary, the Broads Authority and numerous local businesses, in order to find new ways to re-instate the Broads based policing team.

In 1995, an innovative sponsorship deal was struck between Norfolk Constabulary, the Broads Authority and local businesses, making funds available to put officers back onto the Broads during the peak season, i.e. April to October, leading to the birth of the Broads Beat Team as we know them today.

They are now the UK’s longest running Police and public sponsorship scheme and we have many other organisations nationwide looking at Broads Beat for best practice and guidance on how to start similar schemes.

Initially officers either borrowed a Broads Authority launch or went out on joint patrol with the Broads Authority Rangers, however they found this to be quite restrictive and they were unable to properly carry out their duties to suit operational needs.

When the Diving Unit were disbanded their rigid hulled inflatable boat (Rhib) was donated to the Broads Beat Team, who have used and maintained this vessel to date.

The current team has one full time officer, one part time officer (operating in the summer season), and a Reserve with two Pcso’s and two Special Constables, led by a Sergeant and an Inspector.

http://www.norfolk.police.uk/safetyadvice/broadsbeat

stream_img.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing Stuart.. Interesting reading.  Sad to hear there is only 2 officers clearly these chaps can't be expected to cover the whole 120 miles but I guess as the crime figures are so low there's hardly the justification for more. Although from recent experience perhaps there is slightly more of a need. Although I guess certain unsocial behavior can be dealt with by the rangers so perhaps more of them should be available (I'm remember more of these in the past). 

Once again thanks for sharing and really nice to hear such a low crime rate. 

cheers