Drascombes on The Broads

JennyMorgan

My trip from Oulton Broad was a rare treat, had either a beam or stern wind all the way and average speed of over six miles an hour, all under a blue sky!

P9110183_1.jpg

The trip back was a total contrast with no wind and lots of rain. Mind you, watched the big old dog otter at Herringfleet so it wasn't all bad!

• Like 2

Gracie, they may look like sailie things but they also perform very well with an engine. They are not a compromise design, they were conceived as a boat that handles as well under sail as it does power. For me they have the very real bonus of also being good sea boats as well as being at home on the Broads. Drascombes have crossed all the world's oceans, can't do that in a Broads motor cruiser.

• Like 1

Some lovely photos of lovely boats, thank you for sharing them. We shall be doing most of those stops next month on the Broom Captain (New) out of Brundall. We are particularly looking forward to mudweighting for the first time on Surlingham Broad.

Regards

Jon & Jo

Gracie, they may look like sailie things but they also perform very well with an engine. They are not a compromise design, they were conceived as a boat that handles as well under sail as it does power. For me they have the very real bonus of also being good sea boats as well as being at home on the Broads. Drascombes have crossed all the world's oceans, can't do that in a Broads motor cruiser.

With all due respect Peter, i think this is an UNDERstatement.

I can remember back in the early 70s reading mags such as Yachting World, Practical Boat Owner, and Yachting Monthly, where they all reported extremely favourably to all the Drascombe rage. One of the articles even said something like "if you want to put to sea in heavy weather, and know you`re going to get to your destination safe and sound, a Drascombe is the boat to have".  Their seakeeping capabilities are legendary, and i can remember an article about a guy who bought a secondhand Drascombe Longboat. He was a couple of miles off the south coast somewhere, and the centreboard fell off. This was due to poor maintainance by the/a previous owner, but the Longboat still sailed remarkably well, if a little unusually, due to the centre board dangling down in the water being hung on by it`s CB chain.He managed to sail the boat to the shore without any peoblems, and even managed to recover the CB.

Great  little boats with stacks of charm and carachter.

Edited by SPEEDTRIPLE