Slide photo's / Photo's VHS to DVD

Whatever Next? Griff posting in the 'Technical' area :shocked

Well I have spent hours n hours up our loft today - putting away Christmas decs and the like, gave us the opportunity to have a bit of a clear out / sort through.  Not really an enjoyable experience I have to say.  Anyroadup I came across thousands of old slide photographs, most of them taken on the Broads by Mum/Dad from the fifties onwards - I need to get these transferred onto discs.  I also found thousands of normal paper photographs some in albums, some in envelopes, again mostly of the Broads from the fifties onwards - I need to get these transferred onto disc - I think I can do this myself by simply scanning them into a folder.  I also have hundreds of VHS films, mostly produced, some of them recorded on the old portable vhs shoulder camcorders, these need converting onto dvd's

So from the technically minded amongst us -  how do I accomplish my tasks?  which bits of kit do you recommend I purchase to accomplish the job?  or is there there a forumite out there that I can hire the kit from to accomplish my wants?

Thanks,

Griff

• Like 1

Transfer of old camcorder tapes - having lost my mini vhs adaptor to full size I found a easy way if your newer camcorder can record from external signal.

Play old tape from old camorder into new camcorder then play back into pc no loss of quality and direct into movie software. Ok down side takes twice as long.

As for the pics and slides I keep looking at one of these standalone units where it goes onto a SD card and sit it on your knee while watching the box. (Kaz are you listening).

Yes the Guy in Loddon - I have previously agreed for Carol to have copies of the old style moving film I have - and there is lots of it, once I have the cine film together it will be off to Carol - she will do the rest, I can't wait to see them either!

The photo's / slides - I thought I'd have a go at them myself as there are thousands of them

Griff

Hi Griff

we have one of these and it works really well.,Does both slides and photos.

it comes with all the adaptors for slides,  negatives and prints, is stand alone or can be used with a computer. The print holder is adjustable so will take different sizes of print.

Usb powered

You have to buy the sd card separately but they are cheap enough these days.

the quality of the scans is very good.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ion-pics-2-sd-film-and-slide-scanner-a12jz

The real 'bees knees' would be a Nikon Coolscan. Not cheap by any means (usually some on eBay) but the results are outstanding. I was lucky and picked 2 up very cheaply, they are an older model. Mrs Nog had to fit a card in the computer to run them but the resolution is superb. 

DSC_0776.JPG

yes the slide and film scanners are a camera with a fixed focus on the film / slide plane, with a backlight, because the system is integrated it is set to exactly compensate for the colour tone of the backlight it can produce true colours.

I have a video grabber I borrowed from my dad to transfer some VHS - now all I have to do is find the VHS player.

Grendel

21 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

Looking at the spec for the Maplin slide scanner product, it does 5.1 megapixels. I can get a lot more than that out of my kit, but with increased hassle. Also, they're not photos I'm going to look at often.

I gather that bit of kit is basically a camera in a box, which makes sense given the price point. Scanners pass the imaging head over the slide film slowly hence why they can get much higher resolution, but again it's whether it's worth the hassle.

That's exactly what it is, a camera in a box.

you can then colour correct pictures using any editing software. It won't make aged/ faded photos look like sharp digital pictures but I'm really pleased with the results for the price.

As was mentioned, Keiron at Video Impact in Loddon does do VHS transfers for £5 per tape, but if you have a lot then it would obviously be a very costly option. I had a video capture card installed in my old PC which enabled me to record the analogue signal from a VHS player directly onto my computer using the accompanying software. As has also been said, you can get external capture cards but I've not had any experience of these and prices do seem to vary.

I have an Epson Perfection flatbed scanner which has a slide and negative adapter with it which has done a good enough job for me over the years for both personal use and also scanning slides for the website. I know you can get much better quality dedicated film scanners but I've been perfectly happy with the results from my Epson along with some tweeking and remastering of the resulting images in Photoshop. This is the current model: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009EOPQD4?colid=2U2MNK4VGLZ3B&coliid=I3CUS9V546IT76&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Carol

• Like 1

Trigger pulled this afternoon, purchased from our Local Maplins in Donny:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ion-pics-2-sd-film-and-slide-scanner-a12jz

Clive (Dungraftin) is kindly lending me a dedicated VHS to DVD machine, which I will pick up in the near future.  I have also today ordered one of these:- http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BM4X032/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

which will enable me to get information off a stack of floppy discs I found onto disc, then get rid of the floppy's.  I can't start doing any of it just yet though as the next two weeks I'm working away and staying over in Whitby, which is OK as I like Whitby (Although at home this coming weekend for a shoot day - can't miss a shoot day at any price)

Griff

Ok Bro' has been round to collect the kit, I gave him one small box of slides, the first one I came across (Around 50 odd) on the outside of the box was pencil handwriting (My late Mums) stating 'Broads 1962 and Blackpool 1962'  I have also given him a photo album of mine 1983 - RN stuff, he can play around with both whilst I'm away and see how he gets on

Griff