Time to get the grey cells working - advice on a trip

Baitrunner

With all the grumpiness going on with Thorpe and the NDR and then there is the reminiscine about bygone ages (that I am far to young to join in with:eek:), I think it's time to shake off the winter gloom and start thinking of boats and trips and more importantly give me a spot of advice.

Only 6 weeks before I will be on one of Clives finest (well one of his cheapest anyway - he must have seen me drive).

The main purpose for the trip is fishing (watch out pesky pikeys) so we dont want to spend all our time cruising and we will have a dinghy with us to get into any smaller places (or pubs).

It's also only a long weekend break so by the time we pick the boat up on Friday we wont be going too far. At the moment not sure if we will be requiring a pub for food on the Friday, but assume we will on the Sat and Sun. So picking the boat up from Stalham there doesn't appear to be too many options for moorings on day 1. I would like to get up to Wayford Bridge, but is this feasible before dark and looks like limited mooring spots there? Paddy's lane was another option if we have our own food for the night. 

Neatishead might be on the list for Sat night as it will be a bit of reminiscing for us there - the steak, the beer the... cant remember the rest other than talking fishing to a load of other guys! It was a good night though (I think).

I'm then thinking Sutton Staithe for Sunday lunch, maybe overnight as it looks a short hop back to Clives for the Monday morning drop off.

Slap me and call me Gladys (if you like MM), but for my sins I really only know Neatishead and have either never been to any of the other spots mentioned here or cant remember them.:bow Yes, I'm a nasty Southerner.

Of course the fishing is also important so if anyone can say - go here, you will catch whopper pike and the pub is 2 mins away and the beer and food is good that would be lovely.

So any advice and tips greatly appreciated.cheers

Of course if the mobile signal works I might even update you on progress and hopefully no tales of the "one that got away". 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

Iain, Looking at bridge heights Wayford is only 7' so don't think I will risk it!

unless Clive wants a convertible back?

On a very good low water day, Mark, the best I have seen at Wayford is 7ft3" Like your thinking about a convertible though, save Clive the trouble and man hours! :naughty: 

As Dave says, space for three boats just before the bridge.

cheers Iain

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Had some nice Perch through the bridge on the grassy bank opposite the wooden bungalows, not fished it in winter months though. Definitely Sutton Staithe for Sunday lunch, excellent in my opinion and as you say not far from Ricko's. How about on a mud weight on Barton Broad, had some nice fish there and absolutely stunning at night, also not far from base, whatever you choose to do, have a lovely time and take your thermal undies and hot water bottles lol

Grace :StinkyFish3

p.s Probably best to make sure you have mobile signal, we won't be best pleased, otherwise lol

• Like 2

Oh Grace - I hope it isn't that cold! Your little ice fishing emogi is a little worrying as well.

I like the mud weight idea, but 2 blokes needing feeding and going to a pub? I dont intend moving the boat or getting in the dinghy after a few beers, but may try the mud wieght on first night as we will probably take some food with us to get started. Sounds like Sutton Staithe will be visited on Sunday.

Should have booked a week really, but my mate couldn't do it. And Mrs Runner is definitely not into winter boating, let alone fishing - some women eh?cheers

• Like 1

What's the matter with you, are you a man or a mouse lol, stick loads of layers on and you'll be fine. San Remo is a cracking Boat for just two people, you are sooo gonna wish you had booked for a week.

Have a lovely big pub lunch, nice couple of drinks, then find a wild mooring or indeed, mud weight on Barton, have got in and out of dinghies after a couple of bevvies on many occasion, it can be done, if not very graceful :rolleyes:.Always, always wear a lifejacket, even if doesn't go with your dress lol

Grace

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Gracie said:

even if doesn't go with your dress lol

Grace

Er has someone been peeking? How did you know about my weekend secret?

And I do like cheese as well!!

LJ's have all been serviced and ready for action (hopefully action as in wearing, not inflating).

This is now becoming painful and it seems such a long way off.

• Like 1