Laptop help needed

Paul

Any laptop experts out there?

I'm having problems with mine charging. You have to wiggle the charger plug in the socket until eventually it begins to charge, but move it and it stops. Having gotten totally fed up with the situation I ordered a new charger and a new DC power socket for the laptop, which on my laptop has a two strand cable about 7 inches long to a plug which connects to a socket on the mobo. Having fitted the new jack, and using the new charger nothing has changed, still the same problem.

The question is, does the laptop earth to it's case? It's plastic of course, but inside it's sprayed with a gold paint like finish. Is that a conductor? If so it has worn away around the jack socket, and the case is damaged in that corner so doesn't close up completely. It's the only thing I can think of.

the common problem is the solder connections on the female portion of the power socket, where it fits to the mother board. some laptops have a seperate power board with the socket mounted to it, when these fail you just replace the small board, others might need a new socket soldering to the mother board.

45 minutes ago, Paul said:

The question is, does the laptop earth to it's case? 

No, it's probably got a dodgy connection on the motherboard.. you could take it into someone although they may try and sell you a new motherboard/laptop if they don't know how to solder. Try a smaller shop and definitely not a PC world.. Good luck. 

I had considered that, but the connection to the mobo is nowhere near the power jack and there is no way it is being effected by moving the charger plug. the issue has to be between the plug, the power jack and how it sits in the laptop.

Most electronics are made up using the cheapest components.

So the power connector takes the greatest abuse, either by the spring connector that you can see within the plug bending back, or the wires break in the plug about an inch from the plug, but you have eliminated that  problem with a new plug and PSU.

As mentioned, it might be a poor solder joint on the circuit board, caused by fatigue, resoldering might cure it.

I have replaced a few USB connectors on a tower PC before now.

The connectors on laptops are put under extreme force and abuse, if you try to take the laptop away, with the plug still attached, we have all done it.

sadly not local (yet) Jill, one day hopefully. We do have a good local PC repair shop the problem is this laptop has broken hinges, damaged chassis, keyboard bezel, screen bezel and lid. The plastics on this model are notoriously bad and so undamaged spares are rare and demand high prices.It's about three years old and had a very tough life. The techy bits are very good though, and replacing it like for like would cost the best part of £1000. I could really do without that right now

I guess tomorrow I will have to strip it and get the test meter on it, find out exactly where the power is being lost.

the laptop I have in daily use never gets moved, its now 8 years old, still on its original battery (although it will only run for a couple of minutes on that) still with original power supply. this is only because it doesnt get moved. it has had a new screen, and the plastic is worn and cracked. while I have had it, the wife has gone through about 5 laptops, and 10 power supplies, because she moves them around a lot.

Before touching the Laptop internal with a Metrix, make sure you disconnect the lines to the MB.

When performing measurement to get resistance they send a lot of Voltage throug the wires.

The Laptop case doesnt need to be earthed. If the power supply is coming through the external Charger it is a loop to wall socket. If it is powered by the Battery it is a closed loop back and to the Batt.. 

So the problem must be a poor connection a your socket/connector of the Laptop itself. Can be done by a Homeworker a cost some pence.

My technical backround  airframe and systems engineer and technic enthusiast

• Like 3