Rangmaster

HakunaMatata

I believe rangemasters do need a 240v connection as they are electric fan assisted ovens. (also they will have a electric start to ignite the gas).  Sadly if you don't have a 240v connection you will be stuck with boat and caravan cookers which cost a fortune for what they are.

https://marinestore.co.uk/gas-cookers.html

• Like 1

Wow that i call real money for that bit.

But thanks for that link. seeing this prices i can buy a normal Household Oven and install that electrics and still saving money.

As long those Rangemaster ovens are good and my Wife is happy i will give it a go.

Again Guys thanks for that quick reply:bow

Good luck, I bet you can't wait to get afloat!

You may want to check out: http://www.brianwards.co.uk/ if you mention "NBN" you should receive a 10% discount as they are sponsors of this forum.

Another large chandlers is in wroxham "Norfolk Marine" they have cookers in store for you to inspect.

Another local company is www.stalhamgas.co.uk/

You may have problems with that rangemaster too. Your electric connection may not be powerful enough to run it. Hopefully someone can confirm/deny this for you.   

• Like 1

calor gas is the one most used around the broads and most readily available.

https://www.calor.co.uk/help-and-advice/calor-stockists-and-dealers/calor-centres/calor-stockists-central/norwich-calor-centre

for the boat safety certificate ( BSS) it will need a flame failure safety device.

if it is still as it was when I put a boat through the BSS

https://www.calor.co.uk/shop/in-the-home/lpg-cookers/rangemaster-classic-lpg-range-cooker.html

• Like 1

We have a Rangemaster110 in the house. Ours is all gas so the ovens are gas as well which means no 2.6kw heating element in the oven. It is absolutely superb and we would never be without it

But be warned, these are really very well built, last a lifetime and weigh a ton! Check with Rangemaster for the actual weight... you will be surprised!

• Like 1

Just thought of something else. If you do go for the Rangemaster (or any other house cooker) remember to get lpg jets for it so you can run it on the propane or butane thats on your boat. The cooker will come with jets for normal mains gas which are not suitable for bottled gas.

Cookers made for boats from chandlers  have lpg jets in as standard so they are ready to fit.

• Like 1

Frank, Hi.

You also need to consider the gas consumption and what cylinders are presently fitted aboard HakunaMatata. The 3.9kg bottles won't last very long with a Rangemaster! You may well need additional vertical space to accommodate larger bottles.

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/buying-gas-bottles/which-gas-bottle

32 minutes ago, HakunaMatata said:

Good morning Sir Admiral :-)

Sofar i remember there are 2 times 13 KG bottles, just at the rear Well, but a ggod point another thing to keep in mind.

changing equipment on a boat is a bitt different compared to a house..

I tried to find out what the gas consumption is for a Rangemaster but failed.

2 x 13 kg should last you for a few weeks or more, Frank.

It all depends on how much your wife likes cooking! If it's cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner then you'll probably need more frequent refills!

We have a fully gas domestic cooker on board Star Premiere.

As has been said you need 240 V to ignite the gas and for the fan 

assisted grill and main oven. The result is you have to have either 

or both inverter  / shore power. This is no big deal as you can light

the rings manually at least.

The gas jets are very important, some cookers don't come with

jets and some cannot even be converted to LPG so beware.

The other possible problem is that unless it is actually printed

on the fitting instructions that it can be used on a boat SOME

BSS inspectors will not allow you to fit it, Some cookers on these 

instructions actually say not suitable for fitting in boats.

In short do your homework well even to speaking to your BSS

inspector toget his view on your cooker of choice.

There is a domestic cooker on board but the my Wife, she can handle those machines, wants another one. So just the technical aspect is easy to sort out in a Cooker shop.

The BSS Inspector will be another problem but I am confident i will get a good avice by Herbert Woods or the Inspector himself..

:wave

2 hours ago, HakunaMatata said:

There is a domestic cooker on board but the my Wife, she can handle those machines, wants another one. So just the technical aspect is easy to sort out in a Cooker shop.

The BSS Inspector will be another problem but I am confident i will get a good avice by Herbert Woods or the Inspector himself..

:wave

Hello Frank,

Here is a link to the BSS inspectors in our area.

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/arranging-the-examination/find-an-examiner/?counties=Norfolk&search=

Regards

Alan

A couple of years back, I bought a Thetford oven - 4 burner hob and separate grill and oven, from Norfolk Marine in Wroxham. Being on the boat for weeks at a time, I tend to cook very similarly to what I do at home so the cooker gets a lot of use. We have 2 12kg gas canisters on board and I reckon 1 lasts between 40 and 50 days. I think that's probably good going. I have certainly been pleased with the cooker.