How Helpless Can A Man, And His Dog, Be?

JennyMorgan

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/coastguard_rescue_officers_and_firefighters_from_suffolk_and_norfolk_help_rescue_man_and_his_pet_dog_from_stranded_boat_1_4444649

Taking this article at face value begs the question, why not moor up, walk home or phone for a lift from a friend or family member?  I hope the Coastguard sends the bloke the probably not inconsiderable bill. Okay, so I'm jumping to the wrong conclusions but the river upstream of Beccles has plenty of moorings and nearby road access, if you know where you are. I can't believe that someone could be so useless on their boat!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Indeed but unless you know more than me (and you probably do!) we don't actually know who made the phonecall......?

Matt, I only know what's in the article.

Just hope that next time I moor up at Dunburgh for a spot of fishing no one calls out the Coastguard! Don't suppose we shall ever know the full story but to have been able to drift as far as the road bridge does beg several questions.

As I say, on the face of it, and yes, it's written by Archant (get to the bottom of it all) reporters, but to call out the rescue services, or even to have someone else call them out for you, does seem pretty extreme to me. Not as if the boat was at sea with rather less opportunity for self help.

Be good to hear the full story, if there is one. Matt is quite right about that phone call, a passer by could have made the call, not realising that the bloke was using the tide to get home, who knows?.

• Like 2

JM, you probably remember when I tipped over a half-decker in a squall at Thurne (though I don't really want to remember it!)  Although we were absolutey fine and called no-one except the yard, by the time we were out of the water, Police, Ambulance and BA were all in attendance and there was a helicopter overhead! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broadsword said:

JM, you probably remember when I tipped over a half-decker in a squall at Thurne (though I don't really want to remember it!)  Although we were absolutey fine and called no-one except the yard, by the time we were out of the water, Police, Ambulance and BA were all in attendance and there was a helicopter overhead! 

A legendary event was that, Danny. Probably seen as an excuse to use mobiles or VHF for some passers by. In the past folk might have stopped and asked if you needed help, now it's so much easier to dial 999 or call Mayday on Ch16, an unfortunate result of progress, an excuse to use their toys.

Ah yes, Danny, I remember it well. :). :)

Have you and Alison found a 'parking space' yet btw? :) If you really are interested in my suggestion, Phill says to tell you he thinks it will have a short shelf life.

JM if I saw a drifting boat at 2 in the morning, I'd take more than a passing interest and if I got no answer to a hail or two, might call the services.

Reading the subtext of this article, there was a fair bit of irritation about this shout. I wonder, just wonder you know, if the skipper had been at that famous hostelry?

2 hours ago, Polly said:

Reading the subtext of this article, there was a fair bit of irritation about this shout. I wonder, just wonder you know, if the skipper had been at that famous hostelry?

High water at closing time? Can't have been far off. It fits in with the times stated. Did well to drift that far without getting hefted up on the bank. Blessed cold too. 

Before the internet was widely available to all, the EDP was excellent on a Friday for it's property pages, if you were house hunting.

With Rightmove, Zoopla etc. I often wonder what is it's use? You are not allowed to pack fish & chips in it these days.