More Ludicrous Shenanigans At Yare House.

JennyMorgan

The latter. Previous written minutes have undoubtedly been 'Doctored'. This latest situation is one that the Executive has had forced upon itself. The evidence is sound, the reality is disgraceful. Even in my time minutes of the previous meeting might not be available as they were waiting 'verification' by the 'officers'.

Just now, marshman said:

My understanding is that it would be recorded by digital voice recorder but not video!

Clearly there is a difference of opinion!

You are right.

Apparently two committee members, well known to the boating community, diligently took independent minutes, these then were compared and found to differ quite considerably from the 'official' minutes. On a previous occasion it was admitted that only relevant comments were recorded in writing. For relevant I suggest that you read 'helpful to the cause'. It amazes me that he has got away with it for so long! 

My gut feeling is that this revelation calls into question the legality of committee decisions but whether anyone will pursue that one has to be unlikely!

16 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

You are right.

Apparently two committee members, well known to the boating community, diligently took independent minutes, these then were compared and found to differ quite considerably from the 'official' minutes. On a previous occasion it was admitted that only relevant comments were recorded in writing. For relevant I suggest that you read 'helpful to the cause'. It amazes me that he has got away with it for so long! 

My gut feeling is that this revelation calls into question the legality of committee decisions but whether anyone will pursue that one has to be unlikely!

Hi Peter,

It is usual that any committee will read the previous minutes of a meeting or ask if they are a correct record. 

Any member of a committee should and must voice their opinion if the said minutes are not correct.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 2

and sometimes they wouldn't be ready thus the time between the relevant meeting and the subsequent reading of the minutes was extended, very crafty. In any case very, very few committee members take their own minutes. Anyway, audio recordings are to be made, a long overdue reaction to the abuse of minutes by the 'officers' at the BA

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Followed by "matters arising from the minutes".

If the BA are not following this standard procedure then something has gone very wrong.

Vaughan, the minutes as presented have long been vetted by JP, this is common knowledge, thus matters arising have long been controlled, the system manipulated and abused. 

Some of these expressions have become commonplace in our language, for instance "to take as read". The chairman, at the start of a meeting, says "Ladies and gentlemen, may I take the minutes of the previous meeting to be as read?" This gives a legal opportunity for any member to oppose the official version if necessary. In the case of an opposition the minutes are then read out to the meeting by an appointed officer, usually the company secretary, and discussed.

Once the minutes have been approved by the members, they are signed by the secretary, as such and that signing is also duly minuted.

Once the minutes are approved, then "matters arising" from them are discussed (and minuted). Only then will the chairman say "we will now proceed to the agenda of today's meeting".

This is a time-honoured and, I believe, legal procedure. If the BA are not following this, they are out of order. Even the Wherry Trust, as a registered charity, has to follow this procedure and produce the files if necessary, so why not the BA?

• Like 4