Who’s Dropped What In The Broads ?

Snowy

My eldest knocked his Dads glasses off as we were coming in to moor at Hunter’s Yard the first time we went sailing on one of their boats. Graham managed to borrow a rake with a mesh attachment from the yard and after a while fished up a pair of glasses...unfortunately not his.

:default_badday:

He did find his own pair later that day when he had another fish around with the rake.

:55c8f94983015_default_happyparty:

I managed to flick a pair of sun glasses off my face while trying to swipe a wasp away, unluckly for me I was walking along a jetty in Wroxham and they went straight in, a few months later a neigbour managed to trip coming down off the back of his boat and ended up diving over the jetty and in to the water, he didnt see my sunglasses though.

Ive also lost another pair in the river at Belturbet on the Erne in the late 90s. 

Most recently I lost a brand new electrical deck socket over the side whilst trying to fit it but over the years there have been many more, I went head first over the side of Dads clinker sailing dinghy on Malthouse Broad aged about 2 or 3, luckily I was grabbed just as my head went under, there is a saucepan lid at the bottom of the small dyke at LBBY dropped in about 1988 as a box of stuff was passed onboard the then current family boat, later that holiday my brother dropped himself in at Horning(we has a houseboat where  JB boats is now).

Dads wallet went for a swim somewhere along the Repps/Potter area sometime in the 80's and I was tipped into the river by Dad at Repps staithe in about 1989.

The final riverside berth at Bondons, as you approach the Broad is home to a Swiss Army knife and finally the folks current mooring at Wayford had claimed a screwdriver for itself but for once we managed to recover it with one of those Seasearcher magnets.

Although it didn't go to the bottom we nearly managed to lose a Mirror dinghy going past St Benets in 1992 when the painter came adrift......

Back in the 60s we were moored second boat out at Yarmouth Yacht Station when another boat came alongside us. They threw one of their ropes to the attendant and as he took the strain, the rope caught our pennant and whipped it into the river. 

The attendant shouted that we needed to try and retrieve it as we would lose our deposit. Two of us jumped into the dinghy and managed to catch it just past the bridges. Fortunately not too much flow so it only took us 20 minutes to row back

Back on board one of our mates asked us why we went after it as we had already lost our deposit that morning.

We had been towed off Breydon the previous day with a rope round our prop and then in the morning towed out to just under Haven Bridge where our hire boat was lifted out by a crane for the rope to be cut off.

Wasn't too happy as the lad who asked the question was the same one who was messing about with the rope when it wrapped round the prop.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Managed to get my wife and big dog into a hired canoe at Beccles.  Dog somewhat reluctantly.  Then I tried to get aboard, dog (all 45 kilos of him) jumped up to greet me, and I took the plunge, dropping camera, car keys and wallet into the water as I went under.  All eventually recovered by the bloke hiring out the canoes with a net on a pole, and the camera still works today, 10 years on!  Wife still refers to it as my ‘Beccles Bath’.

• Like 2

After feeling very pleased with myself for executing a perfect stern on mooring at a packed Wroxham public staith with a nasty crosswind I strode masterfully up to the bow in front of my appreciative audience, picked up the mud weight and with a mighty heave cast it gracefully into the river, then remembered just to late I had forgotten to loop the rope around the front cleat after coiling it :default_blush:

And it wasn't floating rope :default_crying1animated:

At least I gave everyone a good laugh :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My sun glasses helping people to moor in Neatishead a few years ago.

Off subject but funny.When our first boat was delivered to us.The chap said he delivered to  a couple a boat on n one of the Greek island went out for a trial at sea.one of the throw the mud weight over board (which was not tied on).Asked if he would get it back!

Ian 

• Haha 2