Twisted Baggy Bloomers!

27 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Prime candidate for fishy euthanasia! My preferred comment would be contrary to TOS!

How so?

In any case there is more than a wisp of the truth in this satirical epistal. The Broads Society branded itself as Friends of the Broads (Authority), indeed it was long seen as a compliant poodle, so this story, based on fact, shows something of the discord that has been triggered by the upper echelons within Yare House, not a happy situation. However we look at it the dictatorial stance of the higher orders within the portals of Yare is not good for the Broads. Censoring the Pike's comments would be playing the same game.

• Like 2

Sorry Peter but my thoughts about this originate from activities other than the evangelistic saviour nonsense regarding the BA over the years. There have been many comments and opinions over time that have formed this opinion which suggest that I am not alone in my views..

So what is the 'speculation' involved in the blog. Deciphering the code, it appears that Professor Burgess (chair of the Broads Authority) and Bill Dickson (member of the Broads Authority) resigned from membership of the Broads Society following the publication of a letter in the Society's newsletter, from the chairman, Paul Rice (who also happens to be a member of the BA), in which he made criticisms of the Broads Authority.

OK, so that is not a humorous, insulting or sarcastic account, but, if that is what happened, it does open the way for a discussion, if any discussion was merited.

• Like 2

I have to admit that apart from a few of the early 'pike' journals (or whatever you'd like to call them) I too have no interest in what they say. What used to be humorous is now laboured, what used to be satirical is now mundane. I no longer read them, and the idea of doing so to glean actual information strikes me as bordering on madness.

Sorry Peter, but I'm in Paladin's camp on this one.  

• Like 2

I have always seen satire - and sometimes use it - as a good vehicle for the uncovering of truths which might otherwise remain obscure. Or Hidden.

As an ex committee member of the Broads Society, in the days of the Commissioners, I am very sad at the way it seems to be only a shadow of its former self these days. When do you ever see anything in the papers or on local TV, about what the Broads Society has said?

It is quite possible that opinions expressed on this forum carry more weight in Broadland affairs nowadays, than those of the B.S. And I am not suggesting that we carry a lot of weight - just that the B.S. carries a lot less.

Right, let's go with Paladin's most recent comment and forget the 'humour, with which incidentally I have absolutely no input or connection. It's written by various people following the gagging of its originator and it's that continued gagging that is the problem. 

Gagging to a degree I accept, once a decision is made by a committee then a united front should be made. However, it's become abundantly clear that the decision makers are expected to toe the party line. When I joined the Navigation Committee I was told quite clearly that I was 'expected' to support the Authority Officers when surely its the Officers who should be supporting the committees and members. 

In this instance we have to accept that the Broads Society, despite the cloying relationship between certain personalities, the Society is in principle entirely independent of the Broads Authority. It therefore cannot be right that the internal policies of the Authority are applied to independent, elected committee members of clubs or societies. Indeed that is wholly repugnant.  Mrs Burgess has exceeded her authority, she should have had the good grace to have accepted that the Society and its committee has a right to disagree and done so without a demeaning display of histrionics.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

What is the 'Broads Society'?

It is a society consisting of people who have a love and interest in the Broads, membership is open to all.

Who are the members?

People who have paid their subscription.

How did they become members?

They paid their subscription.

What is the 'Broads Society' supposed to achieve?

The Society was formed in order to keep a watchful eye on the health of the Broads at a time when there was no continuity between controlling interests. In the past it has been a body of some influence, not least in the creation of the Broads Authority. It sees itself as a ginger group to the activities of the Authority. It has no powers as such but it does have wisdom and experience. In recent years the Society has become moribund which is to be regretted.

I think those four questions will do for now, though I suspect the answers will raise even more.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Thank you Peter. So if I have this right, the Broads Society has no more power than the various Broads forums that exist. Does anyone know roughly how many members the society has?

Whilst, like Vaughan I have been a BS committee member, I am now out of touch. At one time the membership was well over a thousand. Unlike forums the Society has an elected committee thus it can claim to have a mandate. At one time it was a useful tool for JP, hence the origination of the term 'Packman Poodle'. That it has now shown some independent thought has clearly not endeared itself to J.P. thus it is still a relevant influence, to a degree!

• Like 1

Just a thought, after an hour or so gardening and if I understand things correctly, the Broads Society chairman asked if the Society could comment on the Peer Review of the Broads Authority. He was invited to do so and duly turned up only to be told that he couldn't speak after all. Now, cynic that I am, I can only assume that that was because the Society, its committee at least, has issues with the Authority. In other words in order to ward off 'unhelpful to the cause comments' the man was effectively gagged, as is increasingly the way at Yare House. 

Agreed that the BS chairman, as a member of the Broads Authority, is gagged by Authority protocol, but nevertheless he was there to represent the Broads Society and its members thus should have been allowed to present the views of the wholly elected committee without hindrance. 

There is nothing malicious about the Broads Society, the Authority has been glad to listen to its advice and to accept its often generous support in the past, at least when it was in line with the current indoctrination of the time.  

When the Authority snubs the Broads Society, who are generally on the Authority's side, then questions need to be asked, what is going wrong? Mrs Burgess's obvious rift with the Society can have gone no way whatsoever in endearing the Authority to the rhond dwellers and little people of the Broads, it's quite simply further alienation at a time when the Peer Review was not entirely supportive of the way the Authority conducts its business. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been a life-member of the Broads Society for most of my err - life...
At least going back to the 1970s.

I've even been known to write an article for their magazine.

19 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Does anyone know roughly how many members the society has?

710 as of September 2017.

• Thanks 1