Forum Meet At Salhouse 2018

grendel

After setting out at 6am this morning and breezing up to Martham in just 4 hours including calling into Lathams and buying half the shop (whats new there). I arrived at Martham |Boats early - 10 am, I had said I would be there at 11.30.

This wasnt a problem, they had already emailed me yesterday to say the boat was ready. so I loaded up and by about 11am, I had had the checklist, been cast adrift and told they would meet me at potter bridge., I arrived and although the board read less than 6 foot (I had been told the airdraft was 6 foot 2") we went under with about an inch to spare. then I had a nice slow pootle down the river, turned left at the junction and up to Ranworth. ( I have no idea how fast I am going, there is no mod cons on this boat, that might give a clue - not even a rev counter) by 12.30 I am just off Ranworth, I say to myself, I wonder if the cruise in company have left yet, take a left turn to find myself bearing down upon the Cin C, a quick U turn and back on the main river, then hang around for the fleet, another u turn and i am now heading for the back of the queue, I do another quick about face and join the back of the fleet, only to find Nipper tucked in behind me. a nice slow cruise up river to Salhouse followed, finally arriving and all getting berthed up stern on.

So far we have had a quiz, (won by the team containing myself and Polly) and a bottle auction that raised over £240 for the RNLI, just about to head for the music and entertainment (when my bread rolls come out of the oven)

• Like 9

well an evening with Bob provided the entertainment, and were very good.

although it did get a bit chilly as the evening wore on there was a good audience and I think I can say a good time was being had by all.

awoke this morning early to a misty Salhouse, I am just relaxing with a cup of coffee, and about to cook myself a nice breakfast.

• Like 6

At least it is only misty and it sounds like a good time was had by all.

More than mist up here on the NE corner of Norfolk. This is the current view from The Rocket House Cafe on top of The Lifeboat Museum at Cromer. Looking towards the Pier. A full blown "Haar" It is just 5C now. Due to clear about 1100, but will only be about 10C on coast even in the sun that is forecast for later.Screenshot_20180520-071146.thumb.png.910ea24942def349cba6ccd4f04ddb43.png

Well this morning before too many people left it was time to get baby BA out and take her for a spin around the broad (well our bit of it)  mid morning and it was time to do something, the water needed heating and i needed to move to top up the water tank, so Off I toddled at tickover up to wroxham, did a u turn and came back via a short diversion into wroxham broad. moored back up nearer the water point, and then spent the afternoon chatting with Polly, and having another play with the model - this time I was sailing for over an hour, getting appreciative comments from passers by and chasing boats.

the rest of the afternoon and evening was spent chatting and drinking coffee with the other forum members still here (Polly, Cambridge cabby and Springsong) The mist dropped even earlier this evening than yesterday, so it was getting colder, so there was a general retirement to boats to warm up (and get on the forum)

• Like 2

sorry my post above never made it out yesterday, as I lost my internet connection.

Today started at about 8am heading for potter heigham, in company with Polly in Lydia. we went through the bridge, and then motored up to moor up just past Martham boats and round the corner (candle dyke). then I decamped from Janet 3 and aboard Lydia, we then sailed up hickling nearly to the pub,then turned round and sailed to Horsey Mill and then back to the moorings.

I was handling the tiller and sheets at various times, and thoroughly enjoyed it. it is something that I have wanted to do since I first read Swallows and Amazons as a boy, I have a multitude of thanks to go to Pauline and Phil for that pleasure.

• Like 9

Well I have to say, after my first solo hire I am now not as concerned as I was of my abilities to moor up on my own and handle the boat, prior to this I had only ever hired one other time, and had a few short goes at helming Broad Ambition.

I must thank Griff for all of the pointers he gave me while I was doing that, as they stood me in good stead for this solo adventure. Martham boats were confident that the experience I had above was all that was necessary and just pushed me off and said they would see me at Potter bridge, I guess if you make it to the bridge you must be competent. my very first solo side on mooring was at the bridge pilots mooring yesterday, and I turned and reversed into the mooring without too many problems, certainly an experience I am now confident enough to want to do again.

Janet 3 is a great boat to helm, though the engine only runs quietly at a shade over 5 mph,  the rest of the time its a noisy klunking monster, but great fun, steering is really positive and a light touch is all that is needed for most normal cornering.

the centre cockpit makes for easy mooring ( I saw the original Boat Jayne in the water, and although smaller, the forward helm position and rear door might make side on mooring a bit trickier.

• Like 3

right at home, photos downloaded off of the camera so here we go firstly pictures of the boat - there were not many out there that I could find, so I took some.

I have to say that on Janet 3 storage is not a problem, there are little cupboards everywhere, and drawers under all of the seating / bedding. there is quite a large storage space opposite the toilet area, this would happily accept several suitcases. the fridge was plugged in as I left and ran continuously, it had a small freezer compartment that kept my frozen sausages frozen all weekend. in the rear section there is a slightly tapered permanent double and there is a seat in the front section that makes up into a double with the back cushions

IMG_9756.JPG

IMG_9822.JPG

IMG_9823.JPG

IMG_9824.JPG

IMG_9891.JPG

IMG_9892.JPG

IMG_9893.JPG

IMG_9894.JPG

IMG_9743.JPG

IMG_9744.JPG

IMG_9746.JPG

IMG_9747.JPG

IMG_9748.JPG

IMG_9749.JPG

IMG_9750.JPG

IMG_9751.JPG

IMG_9752.JPG

IMG_9753.JPG

IMG_9754.JPG

IMG_9755.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I too had ducks sitting on the boat, these were quite happy to let me get within a foot of them as long as there was a window in the way.

I did make some rolls, but they didnt rise as well as they should, so were very hard and heavy.

IMG_9765.JPG

IMG_9766.JPG

IMG_9767.JPG

IMG_9768.JPG

• Like 2

We too passed Albion on Monday, when we headed for Potter Heigham (this taken from the timelapse camera I was running). Polly pulled up just short of Herbert Woods yard to demast, I carried on to the pilots to moor up

SUNP0899.JPG

SUNP0960.JPG

• Like 5

Janet's interior looks good, Peter. I'm pleased to see Martham have kept themselves in the sensible club of hire operators that still allow solo hirers. I've never hired a wooden boat and I love it above Potter so I could see myself hiring from Martham.