Horsey Mill Restoration:

JennyMorgan

On 31 March 2016 at 1:08 PM, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Peter,

I saw a report on this this morning. Money well spent if you ask me the restored windmills of the Broads are an historical asset.

Regards

Alan

So are the Wherries too, seeing one come around the corner is such a great site, however often spoilt by being propelled by an unmanned outboard on a dinghy strapped to the rear quarter.

Point taken Viking but  look at it another way.

It is essential for the survival of the wherries that they take out charters and i suspect charterers like schedules. Do they want to get back at 5 o'clock or do they want to wait until the tide turns and get home after midnight? I guess you can work that one out!!

And equally i guess the volunteers that make up the crew also want a degree of certainty. I have often had to deal with volunteers and believe me, in this day and age you can easily "bust" them and they then disappear!! That will not help those out on the following day.

Cannot remember where the thread was but i guess the wherries that do sail the Broads are not the handiest of boats and whilst they can tack, and indeed do, you will not be surprised to learn that the wherrymen of old would often tie up at the nearest pub if wind and tide were against them. Thats a luxury today, you can ill afford. Remember Albion was a Southern Rivers wherry built for bigger rivers and tacking down the Ant on Friday afternoon on the flood might upset a.few! A smaller Northern rivers wherry might cope but I think you should just be grateful to see them around at all, being pushed by tenders or not!!!

• Like 6

Thank you Marshman for spending the time to explain that, a point well said and well made.

It's good that the wherries can make a contribution to their own upkeep, and I take my hat off to all the volunteers giving up their time in ensuring we keep these historic vessels for future generations.

• Like 2

PW - when Albion is down at Oulton this year, I am sure you can arrange for yourself to quant right around the Broad. Ask nicely and someone will even probably hold your jacket.....!!!   I guess most crew prefer the 4 stroke quant these days!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, marshman said:

I am sure you can arrange for yourself to quant right around the Broad. Ask nicely and someone will even probably hold your jacket.....!!!   I guess most crew prefer the 4 stroke quant these days!!

No respect for age Marshy,:norty: are you trying to bump JM off! :naughty:

cheersIain

Would I be up to it?  Chuffin 'eck PW, I'd probably be round the Broad and back again before you got thee sleeves rolled up!

But I agree, just thee and me would not be ideal.  You would need at least 1 x dozen Suffolk-ians on one side to match a Tyke :rolleyes:

Griff

Well I have to admit I have only quanted twice to my knowledge, Spindrift and of course Brilliant getting her back to Horning after that 3R 'Race' - come to think that was more paddling, and you were sat in the cockpit! the vast majority of my rag-n-stick sailing has been on blue water

Griff

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well I have to admit I have only quanted twice to my knowledge, Spindrift and of course Brilliant getting her back to Horning after that 3R 'Race' - come to think that was more paddling, and you were sat in the cockpit! the vast majority of my rag-n-stick sailing has been on blue water

Griff

Paddling in the RRR race, I thought you was asleep, supported by the shrouds! Someone had to be in the cockpit, to keep the tiller over to one side, compensating for the lack of drive on the starboard side! 

He was asleep. ;)

And we didn't quant, can't recall whether the pole, along with the outboard was on BA for the duration, (who suggested that?) anyway the old quant was too short for the river, and we now have a nice new long quant if he wants to come and practice. :)