Stracey Arms Shop & Cafe

Movic

Thank you very much for that picture Carol. It's a long time ago, but I don't remember the stone cladding. It was a typical broads riverside house, a bit like 3 mile house or 5 mile house. My father took me in there a few times as a boy. Father could never drive straight past a pub!

Inside it had a public bar and a snug, with an atmosphere a bit like Geldeston Lock only a bit bigger, or perhaps the Pleasure Boat, but a lot smaller. Also similar to Surlingham, in a sort of way.

I remember old church pews round the walls and lots of stuffed pike in glass cases. The landlord was a Canadian, a great character, who looked down on the Broads as a collection of little puddles. He had a stuffed coypu on a shelf behind the bar, which he referred to as a "marsh mouse".

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

There appear to be many theories and stories concerning Stracey, some of which can be taken with a pinch of salt.The rights and wrongs regarding the moorings have previously been discussed in depth but one thing is for sure, as Keith has already written.

Indeed, the land registry does confirm, as of today, that the stretch of moorings from upstream of the temple to the downstream boundary of the temple are owned by the owners of the temple. There is a section of moorings that run from the downstream boundary of the temple to a point along the centre line of the Mill House Farm that used to belong to the previous owners of the temple (Stracey Arms), that was sold to the out going owners of the shop. That is the middle section of the moorings that has previously been discussed.

Mystery solved.

I think that the first photo actually shows the old Stracey Arms pub at Kirby Bedon and has been mis-labelled by Picture Norfolk. This is the second photo I linked to which shows the correct Stracey Arms at Tunstall St Mary. It was taken by Acle photographer William Finch c1880s.

30129028266428.jpg

Carol

• Like 3

Hi Carol

I think you are right. I've just been looking at the Norfolk pubs website and there are the 2 Stracey Arms listed. Both were owned by Bullards too and the Bullards signage can be seen in the etched windows of the first pub. However this certainly looks to be the Kirby Bedon one and as you rightly say the second is the Tunstall one cheersbar

• Like 2